Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Suspension

New Suspension

A little background:

I have an older Clark NA. It has ropes that are about as thick as a fore finger and look more suited to hoisting sails on a pirate ship, and I'd like to change that.

I'm an occasional hammock camper where weight is not much of an issue, but less bulk is definitely desirable. I'm also not an "enthusiast" that has an overwhelming desire to learn each and every detail about each and every suspension option known to man. I pretty much want to put it together and use it, not spend a bunch of time thinking about the next, newest, most popular tweak. Sacrilege I know, especially on an enthusiasts forum.

What I'm after:

I'd like a strong, less bulky, easy to set up/take down suspension system with little to no knots involved. Permanent knots ok, just nothing I have to tie/release every time I want to use it.

The whoopie slings sound pretty good but I'm a "little" concerned that they are too far in the opposite extreme size wise, IE too small. I know the strength is not an issue, I'm just a little worried that it might be a bit difficult to work with. Probably completely unfounded. Is there any issue using these with the Clark drip rings? How long should they be? Any other physical requirements/limitations to consider?

Tree straps sound good, but I'm a bit confused as to the best option. I saw a set somewhere that had multiple attachment loops for hang adjustment but considering that whoopie slings have so much adjustment I'm not sure it's necessary.

Ok, now that I'm done making a short story long what are the odds of coming up with a consensus on the best system given my relatively uninformed desires, and where might I find said ultimate system?

Piece of cake right?

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Personally, I have three sets of Whoopie Slings I bought here on the sight, but I have gone back to the strapping. There just wasn't that much weight savings when you have to carry Tree Huggers too, AND not a simple either.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey .... I have done a series of videos and PART 3 has some webbing ideas on it. Hammock How-To PART 3
    PART 1 and PART 2 do as well.....
    Good luck.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    T:
    go to this website (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ategory/270327) and look at the items that are listed. I don't see any of the cinch buckles he usually has for sale and I think he is waiting for a supply to come in. If you have any questions contact Paul by e-mail and he should be able to help you out with any questions. He is also a member of the forum so you get to help out one of members and lighten you hammock up. I use the straps/cinch buckle on my CJH NX-200. If you nee to see how I rigged it send me a PM and I will try to get some pictures to ya.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    T:
    go to this website (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ategory/270327) and look at the items that are listed. I don't see any of the cinch buckles he usually has for sale and I think he is waiting for a supply to come in. If you have any questions contact Paul by e-mail and he should be able to help you out with any questions. He is also a member of the forum so you get to help out one of members and lighten you hammock up. I use the straps/cinch buckle on my CJH NX-200. If you nee to see how I rigged it send me a PM and I will try to get some pictures to ya.

Just as a guess I'm assuming you use a carabiner or equivalent at the tree end and a continuous loop/cinch buckle at the hammock end?

I'm pretty ok with this system on the surface but what about strap stretch? Do you still use the clark drip rings on the strap? I've been out more than once in the rain and never got any intrusion into the clark and I am just assuming the rings were working as advertised and I'd hate to lose that protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Personally, I have three sets of Whoopie Slings I bought here on the sight, but I have gone back to the strapping. There just wasn't that much weight savings when you have to carry Tree Huggers too, AND not a simple either.

I was right with ya right up until "AND not a simple either". Explain that?

Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hey .... I have done a series of videos and PART 3 has some webbing ideas on it. Hammock How-To PART 3
    PART 1 and PART 2 do as well.....
    Good luck.
    Shug

Uhmm, informative videos. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Generally the buckle or ring in the suspension system will act as a drip leg so water doesnt continue on down to your hammock. With whoopie slings, having a piece of cotton shoe string, or some other natural fiber as a drip leg prior to it going under your tarp is a good idea. Some have had good luck using the tail of the whoopie sling to create a drip loop.

And yes, at the tree end you need some sort of attachment. Dutch Clip, Biner, running the strap back thru itself....

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle

picture of system

to answer the question about the drip ring: I do not use the rings they are still in the box with the original ropes from the NX-200. Opie is right, the cinch buckle is the drip point of the suspension. That is unless you do like I did one night in a torrential rain storm and get it outside the tarp. That was my fault for being in a hurry and not getting the tarp adjusted properly, no fault of the system.

I do not use beiners at the trees.....I pull the tag end of the suspension through the loop and "cinch" it down to the tree, then tag end through the cinch buckle at the hammock. I have had no worries with this system, I am at the 300lb mark and pitch the hammock with little sag between trees that are about 7-8 paces, my paces, apart. Straps are set about 7 ft up the tree, about a foot over my head.

No issues with strap stretch so far, they are made from one of the Strapworks straps that I ordered before others were stocking these items. It was a 30 ft strap with a sewn loop on each end that I cut in half. They have about 30 hangs on them with no noticeable wear and I have experienced no slippage to date. Attached is a photo of the set-up:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    to answer the question about the drip ring: I do not use the rings they are still in the box with the original ropes from the NX-200. Opie is right, the cinch buckle is the drip point of the suspension. That is unless you do like I did one night in a torrential rain storm and get it outside the tarp. That was my fault for being in a hurry and not getting the tarp adjusted properly, no fault of the system.

I do not use beiners at the trees.....I pull the tag end of the suspension through the loop and "cinch" it down to the tree, then tag end through the cinch buckle at the hammock. I have had no worries with this system, I am at the 300lb mark and pitch the hammock with little sag between trees that are about 7-8 paces, my paces, apart. Straps are set about 7 ft up the tree, about a foot over my head.

No issues with strap stretch so far, they are made from one of the Strapworks straps that I ordered before others were stocking these items. It was a 30 ft strap with a sewn loop on each end that I cut in half. They have about 30 hangs on them with no noticeable wear and I have experienced no slippage to date. Attached is a photo of the set-up:

I think I've decided on the setup, much like yours wouldn't you know. I think at the tree end just a looped strap will work, with or without carabiner or clip. At the hammock end I'm thinking a continuous loop through the channel and then to a buckle. I saw a triangle shaped buckle SOMEwhere on here, in a video I think, but I can't find it again nor can I remember just what it was called. It's not the most compact stuff going but as best I can tell it's quick and easy to set up and it's still going to be less bulk than the ropes I have now. Hopefully I can find what I want in a one-stop-shop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast