Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    I second the fact that the safari is a very comfortable hammock. It is the first one I received, and I added bug netting later, to use it in the summer. I do not like the pads in the hammock with me, so I have not had much experience in cooler weather. I have enjoyed the DD with the sleeve, because the pad is not in the hammock. I have toyed with picking up an explorer deluxe, to be able to get a SS setup. The SS and explorer, with no snivler, is cheaper by $220 to $270 than a Speer with snug fit and no snivler, or BB with same.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldnSlow View Post
    I second the fact that the safari is a very comfortable hammock. It is the first one I received, and I added bug netting later, to use it in the summer. I do not like the pads in the hammock with me, so I have not had much experience in cooler weather. I have enjoyed the DD with the sleeve, because the pad is not in the hammock. I have toyed with picking up an explorer deluxe, to be able to get a SS setup. The SS and explorer, with no snivler, is cheaper by $220 to $270 than a Speer with snug fit and no snivler, or BB with same.
    Wow, I did not at all realize there was that much $ dif.

To bad HH doesn't make a SS for the Safari, they might sell more of them.

Images

Thumbs up Update

Well, I have finally spent a full night in the Safari. I give it very high marks for comfort, indeed! I slept mostly on my back, but some on each side. All positions( did not try stomach) were very comfortable. Shoulder comfort when on my sides was particularly note worthy. I used my WB torso CS UQ with just one 2.5 oz layer of Climashield. That worked just perfectly, I thought the MWUQ ( which also fits perfectly) would be a bit much this time of year.

I did not bother tying the sides out, which caused no problems at all. I slept without a pillow under my Knees, which is a first for me except for the JRB BMBH. There was no noticeable knee or center ridge caused discomfort at my left calf. I had no pillow under my head, which is a first for me with any hammock. I had one handy, but I never bothered to pull it into the hammock. It turns out I apparently just didn't need it, even when on my sides. There always seemed to be some fold of nylon in correct position to support my head properly for me.

I'm glad I decided to fool around with it some more, it has been sitting in my closet unused for a long time, a year or maybe closer to two years. And I had planned on selling it sense I never used it. For whatever reason I could not quite find the sweet spot, couldn't quite get comfortable, the 1st few times I tried it. But I always seem to quickly find the sweet spot now. And it is a real sweet spot for sure!

One other thing, a minor point: I think the fabric used feels really luxurious compared to most others, feels really good against the skin.

This hammock is a bit heavy for UL hiking I think, but other than that it is a real winner! Mine weighs 2 lb 3 oz just for hammock and ropes, no netting. But really, it is not as heavy as I originally thought. It actually weighs about the same, or an oz or 2 less, as my dbl bottom 1.7 WBBB. But, the BB weight includes netting, a double bottom layer, the dbl open end stuff sack, and 2 of those UL biners, about 3/4 oz each. And webbing(heavier than 3000 lb rated rope?) with the little triangle buckles, and of course the well loved shelf. But the point is, the Safari really isn't all that much heavier than some hammocks normally used by us HF members.

I'm still thinking the reason I had trouble getting fully comfy before was because I didn't have the foot end high enough. Maybe I was sliding down too far out of the sweet spot? Who knows? Not me. But it sure always seems way comfortable with every hang now, and I'm always making sure to keep the foot obviously higher than the head. Maybe that is the key.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12