Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch

Top Quilt/Under Quilt Setup

I am looking for a new tq/uq setup and was wondering just how flexible temp ratings are on tq's and uq's. For ex. if I had a winter yeti uq (5 degree rating) how high of temps could I use it before I become uncomfortably hot or sweating?

I am looking for a tq/uq setup for a sobo thru hike of the AT and will most of the time be around 20-40 degrees, but occasionally will have some nights in the teens and some in the 50's.
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can adjust the Winter Yeti pretty easily. 20-40 should be pretty comfortable as is. 50 is probably pushing it but I haven't tested it in those temps...just depends on how much fiddle factor you want. If you put a big air gap between the Yeti and hammock you could probably figure out how to be comfortable.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    50 is probably pushing it
    yea I was planning on using a light pad when it gets that hot, actually.

20-40 should be pretty comfortable as is.
    Glad to hear that. I have had worse sleep sleeping too hot rather than sleeping too cold, and was wondering about that.
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    im a warm sleeper and i have the yeti... two weekends ago i was very uncomfortable in it the temps were hovering in the 45 - 60 range... it was truly miserable. i love the yeti and i can attest to its cold weather effectiveness but the product is certainly not designed for temperatures that warm.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What about Mac's 5-in-1 IX quilt? Since you can add/take away layers of the IX easily you could do so according to the temps. I don't how it would compare weight wise to down but it is supposed to be pretty light.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    im a warm sleeper and i have the yeti... two weekends ago i was very uncomfortable in it the temps were hovering in the 45 - 60 range... it was truly miserable. i love the yeti and i can attest to its cold weather effectiveness but the product is certainly not designed for temperatures that warm.
    Have you tried opening the ends to let it vent? I don't have a Yeti, but I do have a 3 season Te-Wa. The Te-Wa has adjustable ends that will let you loosen them to provide more venting.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Yeti doesn't have adjustable ends, but you can slide it down lower to create an air gap.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbryan View Post
    What about Mac's 5-in-1 IX quilt? Since you can add/take away layers of the IX easily you could do so according to the temps. I don't how it would compare weight wise to down but it is supposed to be pretty light.
    I like the IX development, but I think I'd want to hear of more long term use reports on IX underquilts. Sgt Rock said he was freezing with his in the 50's a couple of weeks ago. IX may get there, but I think more testing and tweaking would help before someone committed to it for a thru-hike. I'd like to see a few more successful weekends in the field. Seems like most of them have been back yard or campground tests so far.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL Travel
    Tarp
    cat-e-nary-cut
    Insulation
    bearskin rug
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Did SGT Rock write it up, in the forum?

Was it the 5-in-1 IX quilt? Is that top and bottom? How was it deployed?

Was he doing his "minimalist test" and he had nothing else: no pad. nothing but all his clothing? or just his first layer?

I ask, because the last post I saw from SGT Rock was about testing the limits of ultralight hammocking, involving cuben.

I am just getting started with hammocking, experienced at backpacking, and I sent $$$ for the two layer IX UQ with the quilting in the torso, for my travel hammock. I relied heavily on the "reviews".

Here's a couple idea's for you, you can get the 3 season yeti deluxe which has a temp rating of 25 degrees, and you can remove the snap in liner (deluxe portion) then supplement some clothing if the temp's get below the quilt rating.
    Or you could get in contact with Te-wa and see what he could do for you?
    Or you could contact Stormcrow (Adam) from The Perfect Tree's and see what you two can come up with?
    You could look at the Jack's 'r' Better stuff as well?
    What I'm getting at is there are alot of cottage makers on here (more than just the one's I listed) that I am sure would be more than willing to to work with you to get you set-up, I am slightly biased for Stormcrow as I have one of his UQ's, the Crowsnest, and it is a thing of beauty (and warmth)!
    If you are doing the AT you can alway's exchange your quilt's at a pre-determined time (when the temps rise and stay there) so you could carry the winter set when needed, then switch out to a lighter set when needed?! Or you could get one set and try and supplement with warm clothes for the lower temp's?
    Either way I would contact a couple of the Cottage maker's on here before making a purchase!

Just my 0.02 cents!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast