Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie

do view

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan1 View Post
    any other disadvantages other than more time to setup and a bit more gear to carry?.
    I like to be able to look around, feel the breeze and the open air as much as possible, (those tarpless nights are the best!!) so I use a simple diamond tarp in warm temps and have a SWT for the shoulder seasons and winter. With the SWT you can certainly work with pitch to gain visibility as well, ie fold the doors in along the side panels.

It is so funny, looking back, how I thought to myself "ok, if I am going to get just one, what will it be" - and now, just one year later, 3 hammocks, 2 tarps, webbing, ring buckles, whoopie slings, two quilts - by no means a large collection, but I really thought just one good set-up is all I will need and all I will buy.

Enjoy, cause that what it is all about - and it is GOOD.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BWDD-WD
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilliger View Post
    I like to be able to look around, feel the breeze and the open air as much as possible, (those tarpless nights are the best!!) so I use a simple diamond tarp in warm temps and have a SWT for the shoulder seasons and winter. With the SWT you can certainly work with pitch to gain visibility as well, ie fold the doors in along the side panels.
    most of my excursions are multi-day(3-7) trips and the weather is commonly unpredictable. while I don't mind a few extra ounces here and there, I have no interest in carrying more than one tarp. a diamond style tarp would be great if I knew that I wouldn't need any more coverage, but I don't think I would want to get caught in a storm without something bigger.

Hammock
    HH ULA
    Tarp
    Warbonnett
    Insulation
    JRB Nest/Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images

my tarp

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/

I purchased the large 3 season tarp from warbonnet just last week and used it over the past weekend. It was great and was just what I was looking/hoping for. The weight penalty for the larger tarp was maybe an ounce. I set it up with my trekking poles to cook under in a pretty good rain. I uploaded a few pics if interested.

I've worked at my set up and I think I've got it down.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    This all just occurred to me, maybe it will help:
    Lets call it "Rules of tarp selection" just for fun.

Your tarp should be:
    Long enough to totally cover your hammock, possibly with a few inches over each end to help keep it all dry. A 10' long tarp covering a 12' long when hung hammock means a wet hammock.
    Wide enough to cover your hammock totally. Again, a 3' wide tarp, when you have a 4' wide when hung hammock etc etc etc.
    Be water proof, or at least very water resistant.
    It should fit within the weight you are willing to carry.
    It should have enough tie outs for the weather you will encounter, or worse.

Other considerations:
    Doors, attached or removable?
    Color; do you want to be visible or well hidden?
    Larger = more coverage AND more weight.
    Cat cut or straight?
    Fabric choices,,,, no, you have enough to think about.

Tarp accessories:
    If you can tie your hammock to trees 30' apart, but your tarp can only fit to trees 25', you got trouble.
    Consider self adjusting tie outs for at ground level.
    Some carry stakes, others depend on finding sticks or rocks.
    A stuff sack will help protect your tarp during transit.
    Some use "figure 9s" to attach the various tie outs.

Final warning: You WILL end up with more than one tarp, I only have 3, , , for now.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Hey brendon1, have you looked at this yet. its at MEC

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1258208800720
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL w/ zipper mod
    Insulation
    Te-wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

ok here's some visuals of my wife's tarp

We just got this modified winter dream tarp for my wife from Scott http://backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/tarps.htm Scott was great with offering help with her odd requests of a loud color, and the option of dropping the side panels down for "mock" doors (quick changing coverage when around other hikers). I've attached some pics scott sent us before shipping it out. The color in person is more like construction worker orange, but is called cantelope. This set up offers my wife the options of a large "porch", privacy "doors", and great winter/rain coverage. She is what you call "curvy" and 5'10" so she insisted on having a winter tarp for plenty of coverage from the arizona sun in the summer, monsoons in the late summer/fall, and northern AZ snow. Scott's work was awesome, and he put up with my wife for weeks on the design. I'm leaning towards upgrading my HH Hex tarp to a backwoods tarp for a bit more coverage myself. But a normal color.

and the practice hang up. with kelty trip tease line, whoopie sling mod, and te-wa winter UQ (really purple, pic looks blue).
    as she calls it, her Pee Wee Herman set up. Sorry if the pic is a bit blurred...it was 24 degrees in the prescott mountains at 7pm.

Does the learning and DROOLING never end?

BroHamm = Brother of the Hammock

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Hey Scott, that Winter Dream is a sweet lookin' tarp! I just ordered one myself yesterday. My colors are a little more subdued though

So did it come with a way to roll up the doors when not is use, or is that something you added?

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Hey Scott, that Winter Dream is a sweet lookin' tarp! I just ordered one myself yesterday. My colors are a little more subdued though

So did it come with a way to roll up the doors when not is use, or is that something you added?
    As of early November, all of my larger tarps come with that quick clip solution to pull the "wings" up and out of the way for better views in nicer weather. You can kind of see it in the photos Rook posted above (shock cord and mitten hook).

This also makes it so you can get away with just four stakes like any hex tarp. Yay... two tarps in one.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL w/ zipper mod
    Insulation
    Te-wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    As of early November, all of my larger tarps come with that quick clip solution to pull the "wings" up and out of the way for better views in nicer weather. You can kind of see it in the photos Rook posted above (shock cord and mitten hook).

This also makes it so you can get away with just four stakes like any hex tarp. Yay... two tarps in one.
    Exactly as he stated. My wife loves this setup and I will be having to get me one as finances allow for my winter adventures. Great quality in the tarp and the price was awesome.
    Thanks Scott L.
    Does the learning and DROOLING never end?

BroHamm = Brother of the Hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234