Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!

Tabs or Channel

Looking to make an UQ or two. One out of a Neat Sheet (NS) and the other from a sleeping bag (SB). I have seen that some UQ have tabs sewn into the corners which allows cordage to be attached via mini biners. And I have seen channels sewn down the edges of the UQ allowing the cordage to run the entire length of the UQ. Is one way better than the other? I'm thinking full length line for the NS due to its weight (or lack there of) and tabs for the SB...? These would be for an ENO double. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    Looking to make an UQ or two. One out of a Neat Sheet (NS) and the other from a sleeping bag (SB). I have seen that some UQ have tabs sewn into the corners which allows cordage to be attached via mini biners. And I have seen channels sewn down the edges of the UQ allowing the cordage to run the entire length of the UQ. Is one way better than the other? I'm thinking full length line for the NS due to its weight (or lack there of) and tabs for the SB...? These would be for an ENO double. Any suggestions?
    I prefer the channel method, at least for the lighter end of the UQ spectrum. With shock-cord in the channel the UQ is pulled up by the cord in the middle, whereas with tabs the pulling is implicit, through tension on the tabs. My DIY quilts are differential cut, so I want them snug against the bottom. There is not so much pull though that it will cause compression on a non-differential quilt.

With a heavy UQ---like your sleeping bag---there's more weight for the shock cord to be lifting, and it might be more effect to use tabs.

my $0.05.

Grizz

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I put both on and they serve two different purposes. The loops on the corners aer how I attach the shockcord via a biner and the channel gathers that end and has shock cord through it with cordlocks on each end. Actually that is the way I thought everyone does it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Dutch, I think he is asking about channels along the side of the UQ similar to warbonnet UQs. At least that's how I understand the question.

I recently added channels along the sides of my 3/4 UQ and found that it works better than just suspending from 4 tabs at the corners.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I put both on and they serve two different purposes. The loops on the corners aer how I attach the shockcord via a biner and the channel gathers that end and has shock cord through it with cordlocks on each end. Actually that is the way I thought everyone does it.
    Yo Dutch--
    I think the channels you're referring to are on the short sides (head and foot) of the quilt. What I described (and what I thought the question was about) had channels along the sides.

WBG sells his underquilts with this side channel. MrPrez, Mac...remind me, does the KAQ have channels along the sides? I'm thinking so...but aren't sure...

Grizz

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I see now thanks for the correction
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Ok so now I'm thinking about quilts again. I never seen a WB quilt. so if you have the channel up the sides, do you still have the the channel on the ends? Also is the suspension the very same shockcord that goes throught the side channels? If so, is there a cord lock on that shockcord to keep it at the same spot on the cord?

I ask because I have plans on making a new 3/4 UQ and I don't want to be behind on the times.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Ok so now I'm thinking about quilts again. I never seen a WB quilt. so if you have the channel up the sides, do you still have the the channel on the ends? Also is the suspension the very same shockcord that goes throught the side channels? If so, is there a cord lock on that shockcord to keep it at the same spot on the cord?

I ask because I have plans on making a new 3/4 UQ and I don't want to be behind on the times.
    So I just finished my 46" length underquilt yesterday, with channels on the sides and no channels on the ends, and hung it on a DIY bridge hammock. As I had hoped with the design, the short ends come up flush with the bottom so there is no need to tighten things up there.

The cord at the head and foot of full length UQ for gathered end hammocks is there because the hammock is narrower at the head and foot. Ain't so with a bridge, and 'ain't necessarily so with a short UQ. I've not tried my new UQ on a gathered end hammock yet though, so don't know whether I'd need head/foot channels for that. If I did, I would make it from the side channel suspension so that it is independently adjustable. The side channel cord is the very same as is holding up the UQ, which lets you move the UQ up and down the hammock while you're in it to get to the right place. Insight due to WBG. Thx WBG!

Grizz

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    WBG's channels work excellent on UQ's but like Grizz said if your UQ is HEAVY it may droop underneath. The adjustability is wonderful. WBG adds draft collars on the Yeti so no cinching on the ends required. Great idea. I added channels to my DIY full and 1/2 UQ. On the full UQ I built in a small sleeve that runs diagonally across the UQ on the side against the hammock that attaches up to the ridgeline. This keeps it snug against the hammock 100%!
    On my Yeti I tightened my shockcord that goes through the channels to ensure snugness. It is an overstuffed, 22oz winter bomb.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    ...On the full UQ I built in a small sleeve that runs diagonally across the UQ on the side against the hammock that attaches up to the ridgeline. ...
    That's really good! Just how diagonal is that and roughly where on the sides does that cord emerge (e.g, 1/3 down from the head and 1/3 up from the feet..) I wouldn't think it was from opposing corners...or is it?

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast