WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles

What am I missing with this idea?

Ok, I just joined and am enjoying this forum a lot! I've gleened a good bit of information. Give me some feedback o the newbie idea.

Today, I hung my ENO ProNest and used my 20 down bag as a Pod. I opened the foot zipper only enough to allow the "foot" carabiner to reach my suspension. All the hammock at that end is inside the bag. I ran the other end through the head opening of the bag. I allowed the bag's zipper to run across the bottom facing the ground.

I then took a length of 3/16 shock cord and attached one end to the "head" carabiner and the other loose end hangs down with a smaller carabiner.

Once I get in, I reach back and attach the hanging shock cord's biner to the zipper at the head end of the bag. When I'm in the hammock, this shock corded carabiner is near the back of my neck, holding the bottom of the sleeping bag taunt and in place without sag. Since at the foot end, all the hammock is inside the bag, there is no air entering at my feel.

Granted today was a sunny 69 but I was warmer than I'd want to be sleeping. I'll be taking it out for a run this coming weekend on an overnight bike trip. So, before I find out the error in my thinking, why does this seems to easy. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Is there a gap between the hammock and the bottom inside of the bag?

Go out in it at night before you leave home, and see what it does in lower temps.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I went this route before converting to quilts. It works with hammocks that you sleep more in-line than asym. The hammock and bag have to match up well. I made some hammocks to work with the bags I was using to get the best combination.

The problems are that you will have a small air gap above your chest where the hammock holds the bag up. You will notice this in lower temps and need something to feel the gap. Air gaps are usually present somewhere underneath that you will not know about until it gets colder also.

For the backpacker a pad or quilt is usually the best option for weight and reliability. With my bag it seemed that I was warm then a couple degrees later I was cold because of the air gaps. With the quilt or pads it seems to be a more gradual drop as temps change.

If weight is not a big issue such as car camping then the bags can work well in colder weather. Just take a blanket or something to take care of the top air gap and a small pad or two to take care of any cold spots that pop up on the bottom.

Be careful about experimenting with expensive bags or you may have some like mine with modifications that de-value them like holes in the foot end

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Is there a gap between the hammock and the bottom inside of the bag?

Go out in it at night before you leave home, and see what it does in lower temps.
    Since the bag is rectangular, the only gap is at the foot end about a foot below the hammock. Being squared off at the feet, there is a square of loose space. I could find a way to raise this back up and attach it to the foot end, "closing it off".

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I went this route before converting to quilts. It works with hammocks that you sleep more in-line than asym. The hammock and bag have to match up well. I made some hammocks to work with the bags I was using to get the best combination.

The problems are that you will have a small air gap above your chest where the hammock holds the bag up. You will notice this in lower temps and need something to feel the gap. Air gaps are usually present somewhere underneath that you will not know about until it gets colder also.

For the backpacker a pad or quilt is usually the best option for weight and reliability. With my bag it seemed that I was warm then a couple degrees later I was cold because of the air gaps. With the quilt or pads it seems to be a more gradual drop as temps change.

If weight is not a big issue such as car camping then the bags can work well in colder weather. Just take a blanket or something to take care of the top air gap and a small pad or two to take care of any cold spots that pop up on the bottom.

Be careful about experimenting with expensive bags or you may have some like mine with modifications that de-value them like holes in the foot end
    I'm a big guy at 250 and this is a system I will use for overnight bike trips. That being said, I'd pack a light as I could and won't worry about having a roomy space to hang.

That ENO ProNest is pretty small. I couldn't make it work with my SingleNest. Additionally, the sleeping bag is a big Campor rectangular model with lots of room. I didn't have to cut or alter the bag at all. I've had that bag for over 10 years and wouldn't do anything to harm it, it has been good to me so far.

With my body size, the bag's size and the hammock's size, there isn't a lot of open space other than the space I mentioned above in the lat post.

I'll try and get a picture this weekend and also send back a review. I'm trying to have to carry as little as possible. I have the same bag in a 0 rated model but don't want to haul the extra weight unless it is needed.

• + New Posts