Hammock
    DIY Gathered-End
    Suspension
    UCRs, Marlin Spike

First attempt: it depends on how you define "success"...

Just finished testing my first DIY gathered-end hammock. I made it using Rapt's asymmetrical whipping method (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=1846), the only modification being the addition of a loop on each end to attach my suspension. I managed to get it hung using two tie-down straps and had a pleasant 10-minute hang in the woods across the street, but after hearing some slipping noises I decided to call it quits. I noticed some slipping in my whipping, so my next move is to re-gather with a bit more excess so I can tie a knot in the end to prevent slippage. Anyway, no harm done, and I've gotten my first taste of the sweet life
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Hope you get the problem worked out and get more than a 10 min. hang. Hanging really is sweat.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Welcome to HF.

Quote Originally Posted by JarrBear View Post
    ... the only modification being the addition of a loop on each end to attach my suspension. ...
    And there's your problem if I'm looking at the photo correctly. It looks like you have the loop inside and around the whipping lengthwise. This pulls on the whipping. The "loop" or suspension should be larks headed (girth hitched) around the hammock body below the whipping so it grips the hammock.

I can't tell if the whipped end is hemmed or not. If it is, that creates enough of a bump to insure the whipping can't slip past it if the suspension is correctly attached.

IMG_2038 (Medium).JPG IMG_0114 (Medium).JPG

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ditch that whipping. Looks weak and I fear it would eventually wear/rip out. Looks like a natural fiber or baler twine. Not good.

I agree with gmcttr.
    A simple larkshead of webbing is all you need. No whipping.

Whipping is an old school technique. Some of the older tutorials still show whipping your diy hammocks, because that was the way...back in the day.

But over the years, we have learned that whipping is NOT neccessary.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered-End
    Suspension
    UCRs, Marlin Spike
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I know this isn't the ideal setup; it's more of a temporary solution for me. I was impatient to test out my new ripstop, so I'm trying to make do with what I have around the house. For now, I seem to have a solution. I tied a knot in the end to hold the whipping in place, and after testing as hard as I can I'm confident it's secure. I do worry about the fiber wearing out over time, but hopefully I'll have a better setup long before that happens.

My question is, what setup will that be? I'm probably going to order some amsteel to make whoopie slings, but what else should I get?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I would order some zing it as well as some amsteel. With the zing it whip the ends and make a ridgeline then a couple of amsteel loops and whoopie slings or ucrs then cut that hook off of the webbing and use something for a marlinspike. Voilą!

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    I am new to the whole DIY Hammock thing, but my personal opinion is that loop and whipping is, 1. Over Engineered 2. A fall waiting to happen.

The whipping could be half that size, and if you simply took that loop, and turned it around to do a larks head on the back side of the whipping you could use your same Ratchet strap hook.

The zing it, amsteel, whoopie slings, ucr's, and all that will come as you have fun redesigning your hammocks, over and over and over.

I started much like you, bought some riptop, whipped it with 550 cuz that's what I had, used 500 to hang my creation from two trees in the park. No sewing, hemming, etc. I am now on my 4th DIY hammock, making them for the family. And with a little sewing, hemming sides and making channel ends, my hammocks give me more confidence. I sleep better in them, no more dreams of falling.

As far as I can see this sport, hobby, pastime, whatever, has one SERIOUS problem with it. Friggin' addicting.

Look at my join date, that's how long I have been into this.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ciao

Hammock
    DIY Gathered-End
    Suspension
    UCRs, Marlin Spike
    Just ordered some amsteel from Dutch, hopefully it'll be waiting for me when I head home after the holidays.

Wow, 4 hammocks in 3 months? I see what you mean about addicting I'm looking forward to the constant adjustments/improvements. That's part of why I like making things myself - you learn so much more when your failures are entirely your fault

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JarrBear View Post
    Just ordered some amsteel from Dutch, hopefully it'll be waiting for me when I head home after the holidays.

Wow, 4 hammocks in 3 months? I see what you mean about addicting I'm looking forward to the constant adjustments/improvements. That's part of why I like making things myself - you learn so much more when your failures are entirely your fault
    I am blessed with a great job, I work from home, spend a lot of time on con calls that bore me to tears. So I make things while i "listen" to the call.

Today I made some UCRs for my latest DIY hammock, a 12.5 foot yacht, the idea I stole from another thread. Of course splitting my concentration like that caused me to screw up one of the UCRs so I have to do part of it again, or master a locked brummel when you only have access to one side of your line. Something I have seen on Utube and trying to get correct tonight.

it's a good start. welcome to the world of DIY, have fun.

thanks for sharing

• + New Posts