Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images

Tight centre line in the hammock?

I'm having trouble here guys. I've got about a half dozen over night hangs under my belt, the majority of which have been between trees which a 'good' bit of distance between them (5-7 paces). I didn't really have the whole 30degree thing in my head when I strung it up the first few times but I was still comfy.

But when I try to hang in my garden I can't get comfy. The two trees are closer to each other (4 paces) and when I string my hammock up and get in it feels like the centre line down the hammock, across which I usually lie, is tight and more pronounced.

Incidentally, my SRL droops when I get in, does that mean the hammock itself isn't taught enough? I just switched out my suspension but I think I'm missing something when it comes to this ridgeline business

From what I've experienced (and I've heard others reporting the same with DD Hammocks) is that a straighter hang (in terms of the hammock not position within) is prefered. Whats the ballpark figure for the length of the SRL against the total length of the hammock as a %, if you want a straighter hang?

Any help appreciated, I've been searching back through old threads and most threads throw up more questions as well as answers

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    If your SRL isn't taut your "hang" changes. Shorten your suspension till the SRL is taut and you will have the same "hang" every time.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Once you've installed your ridgeline and set it where its comfortable for you.. You will need to maintain that taughtness on the ridgeline in future set ups.

Is there a way of shortening the suspension to fit in your garden space?
    Or adding a temporary short section to allow your hammock to fit better?

If the space is too short to allow the hammock to fit...it'll be time to buy a new hammock or hammock stand.
    I'm all about new gear so buy both.

I have an indoor hang spot and my normal whoopie slings are kinda useless there. So I just made two short lengths of webbing and use those around the hammock. My indoor hang distance is short and you work with what you got.
    Keep practicing and try some different ideas. You may have to abort the original suspension and go with something different to work in that space.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    You may have to abort the original suspension and go with something different to work in that space.
    Well I recently changed from the stock webbing to adjustable 1" webbing with a set of rings. If anything it seems to make the set up out back trickier than it was! Very puzzling.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Highbinder View Post
    Well I recently changed from the stock webbing to adjustable 1" webbing with a set of rings. If anything it seems to make the set up out back trickier than it was! Very puzzling.
    I'm just saying that if your present suspension does not work in the garden space, you might need to adapt.
    I don't take off my whoopie slings on the indoor set up. Just slip the webbing loops around the hammock and larkshead them on. I custom fit the suspension to fit my span. May not be applicable for your situation, just an idea.

Adapt, and overcome!
    You may need to plant another tree and wait awhile.
    Or figure out what gap/spacing works best for your hammock and build to suit.
    I've not played with a DD, but I understand it is a channel end style hammock, slightly narrower than most.
    But if your hammock works fine in farther spans, go with that, make a span that works and hang away.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    I went back out and played around a little more. Dropped the straps to chest height and just focused on getting the SLR correct. Visually the webbing continues on the same line as the end of the hammock - no idea if thats 30 degrees but it seems more comfortable.

As for the SLR I adjusted it to the point where if I lengthed it any more it would be slack when I sat on it. It really surprised me how fine an adjustment I had to make from it being slack to very taught whilst in the hammock.

Seems to have sorted the centre line ridge and my weight is more evenly distributed. Also replaced the webbing loops through my hammocks channels making them as small as I could considering I had to tie double fisherman bends.

Heres a pic to show you what I mean. Can't wait for the weekend so I can go out and fine tune it

Jobs a good 'un.

/e: Just need to say gargoyle, I'm seriously drooling over the ogee tarp and the vids on youtube showing the multitude of setups. Stopping my butt getting cold takes priority but as soon as I have an UQ I think I know what I'll be getting next

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    I've found with my DD hammock the taught hang works well for comfort (but a bit confining), or an extreme amount of sag is comfortable, but the "middle ground" in the sag is not so good.
    Haven't installed a SRL yet, but plan to when I figure out the exact length I need.

Just looking at the pic, I'd guess I prefer more sag than what you're showing.
    wabi

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by Highbinder View Post
    I went back out and played around a little more. Dropped the straps to chest height and just focused on getting the SLR correct. Visually the webbing continues on the same line as the end of the hammock - no idea if thats 30 degrees but it seems more comfortable.

As for the SLR I adjusted it to the point where if I lengthed it any more it would be slack when I sat on it. It really surprised me how fine an adjustment I had to make from it being slack to very taught whilst in the hammock.

Seems to have sorted the centre line ridge and my weight is more evenly distributed. Also replaced the webbing loops through my hammocks channels making them as small as I could considering I had to tie double fisherman bends.

Heres a pic to show you what I mean. Can't wait for the weekend so I can go out and fine tune it

Jobs a good 'un.

/e: Just need to say gargoyle, I'm seriously drooling over the ogee tarp and the vids on youtube showing the multitude of setups. Stopping my butt getting cold takes priority but as soon as I have an UQ I think I know what I'll be getting next
    Glad you got it sorted mate,never had a DD so couldn't really help

• + New Posts