Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Tarp-tent for two over hammocks?

In my never-ending quest to get my ground-dwelling partner off the ground ....

Has anyone ever seen or tried hanging a tarp-tent (obviously modified to accomidate necessary cords for hanging) over two hammocks? I'm thinking an underquilt for two with separate overquilts inside a full tarp-tent (I know, but the male dino just has to have one).

Since tents tend to be warmer than tarps, this might make it possible to use less insulation to offset the weight of the tarp-tent.

Am I dreaming or could this be done?
    Last edited by Frolicking Dino; 03-16-2007 at 11:28.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    In my never-ending quest to get my ground-dwelling partner off the ground ....

Has anyone ever seen or tried hanging a tarp-tent (obviously modified to accomidate necessary cords for hanging) over two hammocks? I'm thinking an underquilt for two with separate overquilts inside a full tarp-tent (I know, but the male dino just has to have one).

Since tents tend to be warmer than tarps, this might make it possible to use less insulation to offset the weight of the tarp-tent.

Am I dreaming or could this be done?
    Sounds like the Jacks are going to be offering this exact thing pretty soon. Theirs is/are (maybe more than one!) coming from a tarp basis instead of a tent basis, but still. Same idea.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - check the Mt Rogers pics in the gallery or on my page. JRB brough three different models of the tarptents. Might have to mod it a bit to get two hammock under there but it shouldn't be too tough.

One underquilt under two hammock won't work, though - it'll leave air gaps that will get cold.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    So how did the JRB tarp-tents work? I'm sure Mt. Rogers was plenty cold enough to give the set-up a fair trial vis a vis temp control.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We had a pretty sheltered site, but I could still feel wind on my face under the MacCat. Pan said he didn't feel any wind at all inside his tent. They looked like they held up pretty well, and there's ventilation built into the peaks. Looks like a promising product. Wonder how it handles condensation in hot muggy nights, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Fd, et al,

Yup these babies are sweet.... but then I'm biased.

The 8x8 model will easily handle a hammocker and two ground sleepers... great for you and the male dino if he wants to stay on the ground and be right with you....Actually the solo models will also accomodate a ground sleeper as well as the hammocker.... just a little tighter.... Scroll down on this page of Jeff's for proto pictures...http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesMtRogers.html .

Expect weights to run between 1.5 and 1.9 lbs depending on model.... We hope to have the initial production run at Trail Days...

Your hammock plight, as discussed last year at TD, was a major consideration by us as we designed the new JRB Hammock this winter... You will really like it...sorry no details yet... Expect it to be featured at Trail days also....

Pan

PS.... Specifically they worked great...no wind at all.... 22*, wind gusts to 55 mph ( we were probable sheltered to about 15-20 mph at the near ground level.) Still enough wind that Doctari had to relocate the second night to get better protection/orientation for his NEO tarp set up...He was set up 10 feet from me with the same tree orientation (west to east in the winter...eeeke)...I slept bare handed, bare footed, 3oz silk top and 3oz silk bottoms and a single layer 100 wgt fleece balaclava in a JRB Four season set...warm and toasty.
    Last edited by Peter_pan; 03-03-2007 at 08:55.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    here's a picture of three hammocks under two overlapped tarps.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9030055.JPG
    you have the skills to make a hammock tent for two w/ no prob.
    you would just make it wider (maybe 14"?) & sew on the walls that form the sides.
    but the ends would get a little complicated w/ two sets of hammock supports.
    but i don't believe you would really need to close in the ends in most cases.
    you could rig something... it just wouldn't be as nice & neat as the rest
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I have tossed around a couple ideas in my head about hammocks for two. I don't have someone I want to share my hammock with, so it hasn't received a lot of thought.

But I was thinking that the biggest problem would be both people laying on top of each other, hey I need my sleeping space. I was thinking about making 2 hammocks or maybe one real wide one where there is a distinct center that forms 2 sleeping areas.

I was also thinking about using 2 tie outs, one for each persons part of the hammock. They could be tied out to the tree in such a way that each line is on opposite sides of the trunk. My other idea is adding a spreader bar with one tie out.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I was talking with SgtRock when I hiked the cupcakes out for his birthday. I was playfully teasing my lowly ground-dwelling male dino and mentioned we could hang side-by-side instead of lying on the ground side-by-side. Rock noted that it might be possible to attach two hammocks to the same pair of large trees - one on the left and the other on the right - and then use the same tarp over them. This really caught the male dino's attention and was the first time I've ever seen him actually consider a hammock.

Have any of you tried doing this? Would it work?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    I was talking with SgtRock when I hiked the cupcakes out for his birthday. I was playfully teasing my lowly ground-dwelling male dino and mentioned we could hang side-by-side instead of lying on the ground side-by-side. Rock noted that it might be possible to attach two hammocks to the same pair of large trees - one on the left and the other on the right - and then use the same tarp over them. This really caught the male dino's attention and was the first time I've ever seen him actually consider a hammock.

Have any of you tried doing this? Would it work?
    I think it is possible. Hang the support lines so they are coming from the side of the tree instead of the middle. You will be pretty close though. I would also make sure it was a decent sized tree. I would stick with a 10" or so in diameter tree or more, not to do any damage to it.

I have thought about trying this, but I am still lookin for a frikkin' girl with a frikkin' laser on her head to do it with.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast