DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

Downmat 7

So, I have been fooling with the gathered end hammock I sewed up a couple of weeks ago, and reading here, I find people talking about using the Exped Downmat 7 in one of these. So I says to myself, "hey, I've got one of those!". So I gave it a try.

It sucked big time.

Pretty much wrecked the whole hammock thing entirely. May as well just put the thing on the ground and be done with it.

I tried it first between the layers of my two layer hammock, that was definitely no good. It was better (which ain't saying much) to pull it out from between the layers, then lay it on top. That way you can orient it easily and on top of that know how it is oriented and lay on the mat with accuracy.

But as far as I am concerned it entirely defeats the whole hammock experience. So if for some reason you were thinking of rushing out to get one of these to use with a hammock, my advice is to spend your money on an underquilt instead.

If this had worked, (well it did work in a certain sense), what I hoped to have gained was to have the versatility of a pad to use if I was backpacking and ended up above timberline, as I am prone to do .....

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post
    So, I have been fooling with the gathered end hammock I sewed up a couple of weeks ago, and reading here, I find people talking about using the Exped Downmat 7 in one of these. So I says to myself, "hey, I've got one of those!". So I gave it a try.

It sucked big time.

Pretty much wrecked the whole hammock thing entirely. May as well just put the thing on the ground and be done with it.

I tried it first between the layers of my two layer hammock, that was definitely no good. It was better (which ain't saying much) to pull it out from between the layers, then lay it on top. That way you can orient it easily and on top of that know how it is oriented and lay on the mat with accuracy.

But as far as I am concerned it entirely defeats the whole hammock experience. So if for some reason you were thinking of rushing out to get one of these to use with a hammock, my advice is to spend your money on an underquilt instead.

If this had worked, (well it did work in a certain sense), what I hoped to have gained was to have the versatility of a pad to use if I was backpacking and ended up above timberline, as I am prone to do .....

Sorry you didn't get on with it. I didn't like it at first, but it solves a lot of problems and I'm actually getting more used to it now-I don't find it as tippy or uncomfortable.
    I'm quite happily using it in between the layers and have taken it down to well under 0f many times. Combined with a lightweight UQ, I find it a fantastic flexible system.
    Everyone is different though.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post

It sucked big time.

Did you underinflate it? Most people who use inflatable mattresses underinflate them for a much more natural hammock type feel. I use one occasionally (NeoairXlite) and find it works quite well that way. Of course you must experiment with the amount of inflation and frankly I usually find that I overinflate it initially and wind up releasing air as I lay on it.

I've also used self inflating mattresses successfully without even closing the valve.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

I'll try it again

I wondered about underinflating, i.e. letting a substantial amount of the air out of it.
    If this could be made to work, it would be a big win in that it would offer the
    versatility of going to the ground with minimal suffering. I'll try it again and report back.

I am glad for having placed anchors in my garage for hammock experiments like
    this. If nothing else sleeping in a hammock is different and does take some adjusting
    to. May as well do this adjusting at home.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    Man am I glad to hear this! I was of the same thinking about the mat...good option for those times above tree-line. That was my thinking until I tried it and couldn't get a good angle worked out for the flat lay. I did just drop a couple bucks on some hardware for setting up in the yard, so let the experiments begin!
    There is no try, only do.

New Member amcneily@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Cat
    Insulation
    Thermarest or PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY rings + straps
    Images

Re: Downmat 7

I've used a deflated thermarest. Let only enough air in so that it will stay uncurled. Shapes and stays put nicely. Too much air and you migrate off it during the night. Very warm down to 40 degrees for me. And a bonus on river canyon camps without trees.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    I only inflate my Downmat 9 to about 30 - 50 %. As Miguel said I usually over inflate it and end up releasing air until I feel it just right.

Good luck guys!
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Kelty 12X12
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock
    Might have to experiment with this. I have the SynMat long/wide. Do you guys find that the pad is wide enough at your shoulders?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    Might have to experiment with this. I have the SynMat long/wide. Do you guys find that the pad is wide enough at your shoulders?

My NeoairXlite is 25" wide and I still feel the need for wings. I have found the Thermarest Z-Lite cut exactly in half is the perfect width. It doubles as a great sit pad and in an emergency you could sleep on it.

Miguel

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Kelty 12X12
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    My NeoairXlite is 25" wide and I still feel the need for wings. I have found the Thermarest Z-Lite cut exactly in half is the perfect width. It doubles as a great sit pad and in an emergency you could sleep on it.

Miguel
    Good tip. Thank you! I also have a Z-Lite that rarely gets used. You are not attaching it in any way, just laying it under the Neoair?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast