Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Kids are Now Full-time Hangers

Two of our four kids decided to become full time hangers this week. See pics below - it should be easy to tell which is the boy and which is the girl!

Good experiences all around so far. Comfortable. Fun. Warm. And, no making beds in the morning!

The only question I have so far is what do folks typically do for UQs inside? We find that a double-layer fleece blanket between them and the hammock is plenty warm... but it moves around with them and it's a bit of pain to position before they get in.

Suggestions on a good, easy, cheap solution as they'll only be indoors? I don't want to permanently sew anything on to them... at this point, I'm thinking a double layer fleece underquilt with some basic shock cord suspension running through channels along the sides and then hooked to the hammock suspension to hold it in place.

Anyone with experiences indoors and want to share your thoughts?

Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    So cool Brian! I installed eye bolts in my kids' room and they sleep in hammocks occasionally (I haven't convinced them yet to switch full-time). I think as they get older the benefits will become more apparent: making the bed, more floor space, etc.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    So cool Brian! I installed eye bolts in my kids' room and they sleep in hammocks occasionally (I haven't convinced them yet to switch full-time). I think as they get older the benefits will become more apparent: making the bed, more floor space, etc.
    I think I talk about it so much that my kids are doing it just for that reason. The two hangers are 6 (son) and 8 (daughter) and our 4-year-old wants one, too. The only one that doesn't is 10 and she has a pretty nice bed that she really likes. Although, she is taking an occasional turn in the hammock overnight and likes it.

I'm really hoping that they'll be able to get used to it this way so that as we begin to use them more in backpacking and camping that they'll be super used to how the feel, how to move around, stay warm, etc.

One other thing - I really like the Vario stands. They're super easy to move around the room as we decorate/re-decorate, they look pretty nice and they change sizes easily. The only thing I'm wishing is that they had a bit more option for the height. I tried hanging my 11-footer off of it and had a tough time getting it up off of those turn-screws at the bottom of the stand.
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I think your idea about the fleece doubled over would be great... I would think about buying the xl sized, my wife has an xl twin that target has/had on sale... They are big and could be folded over easily... Maybe buy a king size and have enough for both, just an idea I don't know measurements...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Interesting thought to follow. My fulltimer has a 1/2" of poly batting on a sewn on undercover but is mostly to block the airflow from the fan which runs 24/7. Nighttime temps inside run in the 50/60's winter and I'm more than comfortable. The little ones may need more or less. The current sewn on undercover does tend to load the edges of my hammock pulling them down.
    The present version of my hiking hammock has poly batting on an undercover seperate from the hammock, hammock and undercover only attached at the gathered ends, and works adequetly so far even if it is a little bulky. So I'm thinking maybe a light, possibly polyester suit lining material with an attached fleece layer as a seperate undercover to the hammock. Might have give this a try myself with my tablecloth hammock. Hopefully my ramblings make sense.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Plus one to the Vario Stands. I use one every night and they are wonderful.

Good luck with the UQ selection.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post

One other thing - I really like the Vario stands. They're super easy to move around the room as we decorate/re-decorate, they look pretty nice and they change sizes easily. The only thing I'm wishing is that they had a bit more option for the height. I tried hanging my 11-footer off of it and had a tough time getting it up off of those turn-screws at the bottom of the stand.
    Yes, the Vario stand is great. I saw a photo once with sleeve/arm extenders. I'll have to look that one up.

> http://www.totalbackyard.com/Vario-H...p/bm-a4036.htm

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Yes, the Vario stand is great. I saw a photo once with sleeve/arm extenders. I'll have to look that one up.

> http://www.totalbackyard.com/Vario-H...p/bm-a4036.htm
    I'd seen that, too, but assumed it would only work well to extend the length. I suppose you could get two and put them in the upper arms to extend the height instead as all the poles are the same diameter. Interesting idea...

What about the forces at work? By extending those arms longer, would it greatly increase the forces placed on the system beyond what it's meant for? I'm not a heavy guy (175 lbs) but don't want to push things and end up on the ground.
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    About what to use under your indoor hammocks: They're a great place to store your down under quilts! They're not compressed, they won't get dirty and it saves closet space! There's really no reason NOT to "store" your underquilts on your indoor hammocks! I "store" my 20 degree Flamethrower on my living room lounger.

It's not overkill either. Most (unenlightened) people sleep on a 8-inch thick mattress--winter and summer!

Thanks for posting the pictures!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Sweet breyman!
    I first used these for an UQ inside: Coleman Fleece bags

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...coleman+fleece

They are already doubled over and easy to make channels on- I used small binder clips and shock cord. I still use it at work with my ENO DN. Now at home I sleep every night with the yeti underneath me... because I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast