Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I agree with you BillyBob, I would have thought the pad would do better laying directly on it, but you never know because it is an insulated vapor barrier and I wouldn't be surprised if multiple (insulated) vapor barriers in or around breathable insulation changed things in ways we don't appreciate/understand (or at least I don't). I didn't know if there was some confusion about what the Multi Mat was. If it was a stiff inflatable mat or thicker and stiffer closed cell foam pad, the results might not have been the same. But since he slept at -27F, he knows more about how to do that I and I certainly don't want to challenge that temp.
    Yes, right, might have been dif. In fact, I have always partially blamed freezing on my first ever night in a hammock on the fact that I placed a pad in the UC, but it was not an Exped Multimat. I played around today with putting my short TR ultralight in there, with a down vest on top of it. I'm not at all sure about that. There was no down compression, but I'm not sure I did not also have excess gap.

Anyway, whatever the explanation, my hat's off to Kurt for pushing the SS further than I thought possible without the addition of thick pads inside the HH.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    It all adds up.
    ...but if the order of the layers in the UC matters, it is for good fit, to minimize compression and gaps. Otherwise, any order would produce the same results.

Is it possible that the very bottom of the UC requires more insulation than do the sides of the UC?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Yea I would buy one - but the "buy it now" button has been removed.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

I haven't gone down to temperatures that low myself, but it looks like you're wearing an awful lot of liners inside your bag. If you had a synthetic, high-loft bag with that much insulation underneath, you could delayer a bit and put your clothing around the bag, and you might sleep a bit warmer.

Like I said, I haven't tried this myself at temperatures as low as you saw here, but the principle makes sense and works at higher freezing temperatures, and some mountaineers/alpine campers I know insist it's the way to go.

Still, at temperatures that could potentially kill you, it's probably best to do a backyard test on it before taking my word.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yea I would buy one - but the "buy it now" button has been removed.
    Owl, it is still showing for me. I took it through to the page where you fill in shipping and payment info. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfer View Post
    I haven't gone down to temperatures that low myself, but it looks like you're wearing an awful lot of liners inside your bag. If you had a synthetic, high-loft bag with that much insulation underneath, you could delayer a bit and put your clothing around the bag, and you might sleep a bit warmer.....
    Elfer, back in this thread kwpapke pointed out what you said: that he would have been a lot happier using a minus 30 or 40 rated bag and ditching all the layers on top, which was a pretty big PITA for him. However, #1 he started out wanting to try and make the HHSS in severe extreme temps work by using and augmenting with just what he already had available and
    2: He could not afford a new minus 40 bag.

Still a pretty impressive thread, don't y'all think? One of the coldest recorded hangs on record- until we got more info recently about THE coldest we knew about except maybe for Turk.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-05-2011 at 23:15.

I guess I wasn't clear (also I meant "layers" not "liners"), but I meant to say he might have stayed warm more easily (with all the same gear) by wearing fewer clothes inside his sleeping bag, and instead tossing them on top. This makes it easier to heat up the lofted area of the bag, which keeps you warmer, as long as you don't have to enter/exit the bag a lot in the night.

But yes, impressively cold hang. I think hammocks could be pushed pretty far in terms of cold weather, the limiting factor is probably the tree line. Next winter I'm going to have to do some gear testing myself!
    Last edited by Elfer; 03-05-2011 at 14:59.

Images
    I guess I wasn't clear (also I meant "layers" not "liners"), but I meant to say he might have stayed warm more easily (with all the same gear) by wearing fewer clothes inside his sleeping bag, and instead tossing them on top. This makes it easier to heat up the lofted area of the bag, which keeps you warmer, as long as you don't have to enter/exit the bag a lot in the night.
    OK, got 'ya now! I have done this some what by not wearing my parkas and such in a normal fashion but rather just draping them over me inside a quilt, bag or especially a PeaPod. Or, putting them on backwards with arms through the sleeves and open to the back. Worked pretty good. I have not really tried just putting them over the bag though.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I haven't gone down to temperatures that low myself, but it looks like you're wearing an awful lot of liners inside your bag. If you had a synthetic, high-loft bag with that much insulation underneath, you could delayer a bit and put your clothing around the bag, and you might sleep a bit warmer.

Like I said, I haven't tried this myself at temperatures as low as you saw here, but the principle makes sense and works at higher freezing temperatures, and some mountaineers/alpine campers I know insist it's the way to go.

Still, at temperatures that could potentially kill you, it's probably best to do a backyard test on it before taking my word.
    Here is the video we did of that trip........
    You can see Kurt's set-up at 6:00 minutes in.

I too would bring a lot less now-a-days. Personally I would go with the Pod System.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I too would bring a lot less now-a-days.
    That's what I was going to say... after using a "Snugpod" at -15, I believe that rig could have taken me much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Personally I would go with the Pod System.....
    Me too... or two Snugfits nested like TZ used.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Tafetta 6'x12'
    Insulation
    Light Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

What i use with supershelter

I found that the supershelter pad is "sticky" too. I just laid a synthetic mummy bag UQ i had run up in between the pad and the bottom of my hammock and have been warm (not in conditions like those though). The UQ I made was a mummy bag split top from bottom and hemmed along the edge. Pretty light, and warm below freezing. BTW I use a BA Pitchpine so I have no insulation under me from my bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast