Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Glacier National Park

Has anyone done any hanging there? Planning a trip in the fall and looking for information. Thanks for any help!
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    I would love to go, it's on the bucket list.

I was planning a trip for last year but was canceled. Their website has a really good interactive map showering campsites what's available, normally opens in march I think. I highly suggest posting attention as to when site reserving happens a the good ones full up fast. Also, practice climbs as my hiking buddy said it was challenging.
    I think bear spray and bear vault for food are a must now.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Images
    Been to Glacier several times. Never did an over night, but have done many hikes. Saw Grizzlies everyday. Bear spray is a must. Also hike in pairs of two or more always keeping smaller person in the middle. Never hike alone. Make lots of noise. Bells were on all our walking sticks. Amazing animals in Many Glacier. Saw lots of bear, elk, moose, ram, and birds. Many Glacier and Two Medicines have great hikes. A must see is Ice Berg Lake, it is amazing. My son was new into trout fishing so we hike to all the lakes. Going To The Sun Road will not open until June great drive lots of hikes off it as well. The camp sites on the trails are very nice, eating area, sleeping area and outhouse. Plenty of trees. The St. Mary's side is the best for getting away from the tourist. There is a KOA there that you can stayl that has a execellent area for hanging right on the upper St. Mary Lake. PM me with any questions. Some really great places to eat in St Mary's as well. Park Cafe in St Mary's is famous for thier pies. You will find most of your best over night hikes in the Many Glacier Park. But lots of bear!!!!! Big Bear!!!!! My husband said to look into Cracker Lake hike. Many Glacier Lodge is a nice place to visit and have lunch, lots of history. I could go on forever. You will LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peggy29forever View Post
    Been to Glacier several times. Never did an over night, but have done many hikes. Saw Grizzlies everyday. Bear spray is a must. Also hike in pairs of two or more always keeping smaller person in the middle. Never hike alone. Make lots of noise. Bells were on all our walking sticks. Amazing animals in Many Glacier. Saw lots of bear, elk, moose, ram, and birds. Many Glacier and Two Medicines have great hikes. A must see is Ice Berg Lake, it is amazing. My son was new into trout fishing so we hike to all the lakes. Going To The Sun Road will not open until June great drive lots of hikes off it as well. The camp sites on the trails are very nice, eating area, sleeping area and outhouse. Plenty of trees. The St. Mary's side is the best for getting away from the tourist. There is a KOA there that you can stay that has a execellent area for hanging right on the upper St. Mary Lake. PM me with any questions. Some really great places to eat in St Mary's as well. Park Cafe in St Mary's is famous for thier pies. You will find most of your best over night hikes in the Many Glacier Park. But lots of bear!!!!! Big Bear!!!!! My husband said to look into Cracker Lake hike. Many Glacier Lodge is a nice place to visit and have lunch, lots of history. I could go on forever. You will LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!

+1 Glacier National Park may be closed in the Fall. We have always gone late May early June. Most things start closing down in Oct. and not open back up until May. You might want to check?????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there anything someone solo can do safely? Or would it just be limited to the campgrounds and scenic drives?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Unless Glacier has rules about hiking solo these days you can hike solo but you have to be prepared to handle things on your own. Personally i'm not a fan of bells. I like to be able to hear what's happening around me. Bear spay of course, not in the pack but at the ready. Gave a good time.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Mr. Prez did a hike there and a trip report.
    Here
    Starts as a regular post and then towards the end (post #18) is some pics.

Hope that helps.
    Bears..plan on it.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Lots of people do solos at Glacier,, and you don't have to wear bells as you just need to make a little noise . Have to carry a bear cannister and bear spray is all. There are less Grizzlies than at Yellowstone, Great place for information is here:
    http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/phpBB3/

That is a chat forum strickly for Glacier and they are very great at help in any question you have. The one thing about backcountry permits is apply as soon as possible. and on that chat forum they will tell you how. If you can't get a backcountry permit for the hike you want to take, half are saved for walkup permits. On that chat forum they will tell you shortcuts how to get the walkup permits..which office to go to for quickness at about 6am for example. Keep aware of how much snow they get this spring. Last yr,,they didn't get the highway open till mid july almost.. And like any national park, they daily list the closures of the hiking trails if they have a problem with bears and they occasionally do. one more thing, You will not see as much wildlife at Glacier as you so at Yellowstone. But the country is super spectacular. Everybody needs to take in Glacier and I plan on going back. Maybe even this year..just not sure myself yet. Its a great place to backpack and the scenery is very special. If you make it to Glacier, it won't be the last time you ever go there. It will definitely suck you in. lol

Plan your trip with the help of that forum as you will never have enough time to take Glacier in,,2 weeks even is not enough to scratch the surface of some of the best scenery in the world..also take your passport if you plan to cross or ferry across the Canadian border. But for the first time to Glacier,,I wouldn't even bother as there is too much to hike and see on the US side and in my opinion is way way better.

You can also get some decient help on BP.com as well,,but the Glacier Chat Forum is the better. Study and plan, and hit those chat forums if you want to go and do it now.. cram and get your permits in as fast as you can, don't put this off if your going to go.
    Last edited by Acer; 02-06-2012 at 19:03.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Acer is right, it will suck you in, I day hiked the skyline trail in 05 and I've been trying to get back ever since.

David

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thanks!

Thanks so much to all! And please keep the info comming. I will check out the other sited you mentioned. Ou trip will be in late August or early September. Planning on riding Amtrack to East Glacier and work from there. Normally we drive and camp in our van but we have decided the train trip might be enjoyable...just leave the driving to them. Anyone with Amtrack experience?
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast