Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Backyard report: HH supershelter and JRB Sniveller - 40 F

Greetings,

Here is yet another account of my backyard testing as I gear up for cold weather camping here in Minnesota. I've been playing with a combination of Hennessy supershelter and Jacks R Better No Sniveller. My first backyard report at 50 F can be found here and my outdoors trip at 55 F can be found here.

After 85 on Sunday, we finally have October weather and last night it went down to 40. I was dressed in thermal underwear, wool socks, and a fleece balaclava which is a bit bulky but effective.

I put the supershelter on the bottom of my hammock, the Sniveller inside as a top quilt (down shaken to the middle), and the large Hennessy hex tarp set low to the ground to block as much wind as possible.

I started off the evening warm. Too warm. I had to vent the top quilt. After about 30 minutes, however, I started to fill a bit of chill through the bottom of the hammock and I decided to put my 3/4 length REI brand self inflating pad (1.5 inch thick) under the supershelter pad, inside the undercover. I had discovered previously that putting the pad on top of the Hennessy open cell foam pulled it away from the hammock creating cold spots. Things seemed pretty warm and I fell asleep.

I awoke some hours later a bit chilled. The rest of the night was spent managing the cold. I never really achieved comfortable warmth but I was never really cold enough to keep me awake. I would get cold, shift, pull the quilt tighter, and drift back to sleep.

The quilt was great, the problem was the bottom insulation. I just couldn't get it right. I know that the 3/4 pad shifted down as the night went on and slid down, exposing my shoulders. At 5:00 am, I put on my long sleeve shirt, my pants, and my gloves, but they really didn't help much. I did have more clothing that I did not wear. If I had been out on an actual trip I would have put on my polar fleece and rain jacket/pants and/or opened up a chemical heater. I doubt I would have suffered but I wanted to find the limits of my setup and I think I hit it.

I am going to make some DIY quilts to compliment my No Sniveller and I'm interested to see how low I can go with a top/bottom quilt set.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think I'd have put the No Sniveller underneath as an underquilt, and found something else to put on top... maybe one of your yet to be made DIY quilts?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

What a wuss!!! 40 degs and he was cold! You clearly are not a native Minnesotian!!!

Just teasing ya!

I agree with NCPatrick...I don't think that the Super Shelter is able to go that cold...I think to go that cold you will need to have an under quilt.

If we are lucky, we will get our down today and we can work on your quilts this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bmlarson View Post
    What a wuss!!! 40 degs and he was cold! You clearly are not a native Minnesotian!!!

Just teasing ya!

I agree with NCPatrick...I don't think that the Super Shelter is able to go that cold...I think to go that cold you will need to have an under quilt.

If we are lucky, we will get our down today and we can work on your quilts this weekend.
    That's a lot of gear and a lot of expense for not much help with "cold." Forty degrees? Weigh too much (pun intended ) effort for that little protection. Sounds like the equipment needs a major redesign.

FB

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmlarson View Post
    I think to go that cold you will need to have an under quilt.
    Don't tell Neo that; you'll hurt his feelings!

Images
    Hmmm...

Maybe I'm just a warm sleeper, but I slept on a mostly deflated thermarest at 42 without being cold. In fact I was too warm most of the night.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You know, I've slept in colder weather with the supershelter as well but then I was rolled in a sleeping bag with the hood cinched down so tight it looked like I had a blow hole. I forgot to mention that last night it was really windy and that probably made a huge difference in my perception.

Another interesting thing to note was that the side of the hammock near my face was wet with condensation from my breath. I sleep primarily on my left side and that leaves the fabric right in the path. This is accentuated by the fact that the Hennessy open cell foam pad tends to pull the sides in when you lie on it, collapsing the fabric a bit. This leaves the side closer to my mouth (some times it flops onto my face) than if I were sleeping in warm weather without the supershelter.

If it is cold again tonight, I will try the No Sniveller as an underquilt and a 15 degree Sierra Designs sleeping bag on top as a top quilt. Wind conditions will play a large role in my perceptions and the sleeping bag as a top quilt isn't a direct comparison to the No Sniveller. Still, it is fun leaving my neighbors wondering if I am totally crazy. This is not stealth camping. My house is on the inside of a horseshoe and I have 10 other houses with a clear line of sight.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    That's a lot of gear and a lot of expense for not much help with "cold." Forty degrees? Weigh too much (pun intended ) effort for that little protection. Sounds like the equipment needs a major redesign.

FB
    I'm curious. Could you expand on this a bit?

Images
    Yes the wind will make a HUGE difference, I was lucky to have zero wind on my 42 degree night when I was experimenting with the thermarest.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Greetings,

After 85 on Sunday, we finally have October weather and last night it went down to 40. I was dressed in thermal underwear, wool socks, and a fleece balaclava which is a bit bulky but effective.
    In Buffalo we call that "summer weather" - and the hot weather we had last week is called "Oh-my-god-we-are-all-going-to-die-from-global-warming weather."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast