ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    down bag & CCF pad
    Suspension
    MSH and Whoopies
    Thanks everybody!

You certainly are represented all over the place!

Trying out in the backyard is one of my first priorities. Have two big trees about 16 feet apart. Think I can swing it even if it isn't ideal.

Going to use some tie downs this weekend to at least get it setup, but plan on getting some proper gear to backpack with.

Lots of ideas around here, but the whoopie sling setup seems to fit the bill of what I would like. Mainly want something that I am comfortable with and confident in until I get some more experience on the trail with this hammock (and hopefully others ). Once I get more acquainted I am sure I’ll have no end of useful tricks from here to give a shot.

As far as insulation underneath goes: is there a guideline to temperature ranges for foam pads/air pads underneath someone? I plan on using at least a foam pad, but have an air pad as well. Not sure at what ranges I would need to start thinking of under quilts/blankets (really anything beyond just air/foam pads).

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    down bag & CCF pad
    Suspension
    MSH and Whoopies
    Looks like several members have suggested a pad can be used into the 30's (roughly and person make/model depending)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL, HH Expedition&Explorer
    Tarp
    SuperFly / HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Looks like several members have suggested a pad can be used into the 30's (roughly and person make/model depending)
    Yes, you can absolutely use a pad in the 30's I did a couple of times this spring. Probably even lower if you have one thick enough or double them up. I'm moving to an under quilt mostly so I don't want to have anything under me in the hammock. I move around a bit and so does the pad. It's just a personal call. I think most people start with pads since most of us had those for tents. Some people are happy with pads and stick with them. In fact if someone asked me I'd suggest they start with a CCF pad due to the cost savings alone. Once they are sure they are going to stick with it they can always invest more. I don't think you'll get the same rating as for ground use since you are surrounded by air. I've seen a formula for guesstimating what you can get on here but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Todd

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Welcome to HF neighbor.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    down bag & CCF pad
    Suspension
    MSH and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ttittle View Post
    Yes, you can absolutely use a pad in the 30's I did a couple of times this spring. Probably even lower if you have one thick enough or double them up. I'm moving to an under quilt mostly so I don't want to have anything under me in the hammock. I move around a bit and so does the pad. It's just a personal call. I think most people start with pads since most of us had those for tents. Some people are happy with pads and stick with them. In fact if someone asked me I'd suggest they start with a CCF pad due to the cost savings alone. Once they are sure they are going to stick with it they can always invest more. I don't think you'll get the same rating as for ground use since you are surrounded by air. I've seen a formula for guesstimating what you can get on here but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Todd
    Thanks for answering! Sounds like I am mostly good to go on equipment then. Have pads (seems the ground is getting harder and bumpier than I recall it being when I was younger) so I will make the most of those.

I am certainly going to look for that formula to use as a guide for temperature ratings.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL, HH Expedition&Explorer
    Tarp
    SuperFly / HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Hey flipflop,

My pleasure, just keep in mind I'm still a newbie too, but there's an abundance of knowledge on here.

I found the formula I was thinking about look for BillyBob58's post about 3 down it's for underquilts but you might be able to modify it a bit if you can estimate the value of having the ground under the pad and the rating. You'll have to experiment some but to me that's half the fun.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=50545&page=2

You might also think about something like these pad wings to keep your shoulders warm. It would be an easy DIY project.
    http://www.rei.com/product/830279/en...ping-pad-wings

Have a good one.
    Todd

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Pad wings or Separated Pad Extender (SPE) are pretty important. Any part of your body that touches the hammock needs insulation. The DIYers make their own.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...light=extender

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    down bag & CCF pad
    Suspension
    MSH and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Lem View Post
    Pad wings or Separated Pad Extender (SPE) are pretty important. Any part of your body that touches the hammock needs insulation. The DIYers make their own.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...light=extender
    Sure is a good idea! I might have to whip some of these up from spare material. Certainly wouldn't add much to my load, and therefore couldn't hurt.

I didn't even think about my sides, but if I am not using a sleeping bag in a traditional way (unzip over the top of me), I will need a little something on the sides to stay insulated.

Thanks X Lem!

EDIT: And to Ttittle too, you also mentioned the side insulation.
    Last edited by flipflop; 06-01-2012 at 16:14.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Quote Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
    ... but if I am not using a sleeping bag in a traditional way (unzip over the top of me), I will need a little something on the sides to stay insulated.
    Also you'll lose a lot of warmth from the sleeping bag when its insulation is compressed between your body and the hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    down bag & CCF pad
    Suspension
    MSH and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Lem View Post
    Also you'll lose a lot of warmth from the sleeping bag when its insulation is compressed between your body and the hammock.

Absolutely!

Thinking I will use one pad lengthwise, and then my shorter one (for ground I used it to double up my trunk) side ways. Kind of like a T. It is a start. Gonna have to see what works for me I guess.

Rained all this last weekend so I didn't get to throw it up in the backyard. But I think my ratchet straps etc. will work until I get some proper webbing and whoopie slings.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12