DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

Best suspension system for Speers...

Looks like I am going to get a Speers after much looking...

If I do, is the stock suspension ok? Should I switch to something else? Looking forward to your suggestions.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Stock suspension works for some. A much better option that would allow you to adjust the hammock much easier and not have to modify anything would be the JRB Tri-Glides. www.jacksrbetter.com/Tri-Glides.htm

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3203
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Also consider a ring buckle system.

Images
    I would suggest trying out the Speer multi-wrap technique, seeing how you like it, and going from there. It might be just what you want.

All of these techniques have tradeoffs with ease of use, cost, weight, reliability, swinging a metal object on the end of webbing, etc. Some folks just don't want to tie anything, others don't mind, and some prefer to use their knot skills while camping and shake their heads at the ones that can't seem to tie anything. It's all good and we get to do it our own way.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    i was going to change my speer to spectra cord--i havent dug into the knot yet- not sure how speer does it. anybody done a change to cord?? is it much of a job to changeover??

Quote Originally Posted by bob2guns View Post
    i was going to change my speer to spectra cord--i havent dug into the knot yet- not sure how speer does it. anybody done a change to cord?? is it much of a job to changeover??
    It depends on how old your Speer is. I think Ed switched from a half hitch knot to a double sheet bend. Either way, they both can be untied, it just may take some determination if they are really tight.
    Last edited by Mrprez; 01-19-2009 at 08:48. Reason: Corrected name of knot - thx YB!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    It depends on how old your Speer is. I think Ed switched from a half hitch knot to a sheepbend. Either way, they both can be untied, it just may take some determination if they are really tight.
    Sheepbend... have you been counting sheep jumping over a fence to get sleepy? It is double sheet bend he switched to. The sheet bends on each end of the hammock uses about 9 inches (total) less fabric than the previous overhand knots (with the sewn webbing loops).

I have used the double sheet bend knot successfully with all manner of webbing and rope, except for the AmSteel Blue cord. I had to do it differently because the AmSteel Blue would slip, that is some slippery rope that takes knots to another level. I basically used a triple sheet bend with the free end (hope that is the right terminology) tied back to the cord with a bow line knot backed up with a looped-stopper of sorts. I have that on the hammock I have been using recently and that works well. I think I attached some photos in a post about how I did that.

All that wasn't necessary on the Spyder cord that has a polyester sheath but I kind of like that with the small diameter ropes, something about it just looks right to me with small diameter ropes where you worry about having enough friction to do the job. You end up choking the fabric from both ends of the sheet bend loops instead of just one end.
    Youngblood AT2000

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Sheepbend... have you been counting sheep jumping over a fence to get sleepy? It is double sheet bend he switched to. The sheet bends on each end of the hammock uses about 9 inches (total) less fabric than the previous overhand knots (with the sewn webbing loops).

I have used the double sheet bend knot successfully with all manner of webbing and rope, except for the AmSteel Blue cord. I had to do it differently because the AmSteel Blue would slip, that is some slippery rope that takes knots to another level. I basically used a triple sheet bend with the free end (hope that is the right terminology) tied back to the cord with a bow line knot backed up with a looped-stopper of sorts. I have that on the hammock I have been using recently and that works well. I think I attached some photos in a post about how I did that.

All that wasn't necessary on the Spyder cord that has a polyester sheath but I kind of like that with the small diameter ropes, something about it just looks right to me with small diameter ropes where you worry about having enough friction to do the job. You end up choking the fabric from both ends of the sheet bend loops instead of just one end.
    LOL, I couldn't remember the name of it so did a search and that is how they spelled it. But, you are most correct it is a double sheet bend!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zdank View Post
    Looks like I am going to get a Speers after much looking...

If I do, is the stock suspension ok? Should I switch to something else? Looking forward to your suggestions.
    Stock suspension is fine...many of us just like to tinker so we change things up. I'd follow Youngblood's advice and try the stock first, then decide if you want to go adding things or changing to cord. You may be happy with the stock system, and if you're not then you know why you changed it based on your own experience.

Check here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingSuspension.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts