Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    I've only ever used a HH, so I don't know any better, but I'm going on near a decade now on the same hammock without any catastrophic failures, plus my experiences with HH customer service have been awesome.

Regardless of any alleged underhandedness in his R&D practices, Tom Hennessy produces an excellent product which does exactly what he claims it will do. Don't diss the product unless it fails to meet your needs. That's like boycotting Wiggy's because Wiggy is a whackjob - No offence to Wiggy, or boycotting Mico$oft because Bill Gates has more money than any one man ever should. You're buying the product, not the man or the company.

If it weren't for the HH, I'd still be sleeping under a hootchie on the ground, so I've got a permanent soft spot for TH and HH Inc. Like many others here on HF, Hennessy opened my eyes to the possibilities of a great night's sleep in the sticks and for that I will always be grateful regardless of the next brand of hammock I buy or make.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I agree with you guys 100percent----when I hear about TH and his business practices dealing with cottage industries it really ticks me off. Even if I was a fan of his hammocks (which I am not) I wouldnt give him my business. (and thats all I have to say about that!) Just for comparison, or a frame of reference, have you ever seen a thread complaining about Ed Speers business practices?
    Not me! Nor about JRB and several other cottage industries here at HF!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'But they aren't rambling about things they can't change, Cody... many folks, including myself, have decided not to give Tom their business, due to disliking his actions. If we don't talk about those actions, and make people aware, we can't convince people to give their business to those folks who actually contribute to innovation in our community, rather than trying to stifle it.'
    Perfectly said!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images

Wink

Cody and Ted:

After I signed up at HF I noticed several posts berating Hennessy products which included a snide reference to Tom Hennessy. When I could still count my posts on one hand, I began to question if I had used poor judgement in purchasing a Hennessy product. After starting an incendiary thread, I determined that the Hennessy products are just fine, and some of the membership here simply despises Hennessy because of his business practices. I think that one must judge the product and the designer independently.

Hennessy has taken steps to patent a few ideas and has taken further steps to enforce those patents. If the patent is based on prior art and concepts, then let him take me to court and I'll prove the patent was improperly awarded and it will be obviated. Since I don't produce hammocks someone else will have to prove the patents are invalid in the proper venue.

Inviting Tom to join the forum is certainly a great gesture, but I doubt that he would feel welcome here. The tone of some HF members towards him is so negative, I can understand why he would avoid the forum. If you read similar things about yourself, would you want to break bread with your own lynch mob? Perhaps Tom will add a forum to his own site one day after patenting internet forums...

I have never met or communicated with Tom in any way and so I can't and won't comment on his personality, but many HF members have and can express their opinions. I do own a Hennessy product and know it can be improved, but I do not find it lacking. Now that you have some background information you choose to join in the boycott or not. But until the patent issue affect me personally, I'll gladly donate an avian fornication or two bowel movements. You'll feel a lot better about your purchases with this attitude.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    "Perhaps Tom will add a forum to his own site one day after patenting internet forums..."

I had to laught at that one. I'm glad I put my original opinions on here, because the responses have made me think a lot differently. I finally got my hammocks and can't wait to use them, regardless of all the hooplah. Plus, all lingering confusion has dissipated and I can speak intelligently. Thanks to HF fer smartin' me up.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    Good for you Cody.

I'm guessing you'll like em so much that you'll want to mod em or make your own equipment down the track anyway.

Enjoy your hammocking mate, that's what it's all about at the end of the day.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Trooper-
    To be fair to this community, there wasn't always such a negative tone towards Tom Hennessy. When I joined, his hammocks dominated this forum. People had plenty of positive things to say about him and his products. It wasn't until stories of Tom cruising campgrounds to find people 'stealing' his ideas that the negative chatter started. Then he pushed it over the limit by being a complete and total *** at Trail Days one year.

This community once held open arms towards Tom Hennessy and he still rejected it. His business practices are questionable, sure. But for my part, the issue is much more directed at the way he treated people who wanted to buy his products. To be fair, my last several dealings with Tom have been very positive and he knows I'm a big fan and supporter of Warbonnet Outdoors; a company that I'm positive leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

I'm all about giving second chances and Tom has been kind and respectful towards me over the past couple of years. He's even allowed his precious design to be changed during the last year. I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt going forward, but I won't forget the way I, and many others, were treated in 2007.

As for not wanting to subject himself to ridicule on Hammock Forums, why not? Many/most of the other manufacturers do. Brandon (warbonnetguy) still carries a chip on his shoulder (don't lie, you know it's true ) about me ragging on his first tarp offering; I thought it would hold too much snow due to it's somewhat extreme bend in the ridgeline. I've seen and have had a few disagreements with the Jacks; still a fan of their gear. Ed Speer caught a bunch of crud about the weight of his SnugFit early on; the list goes on. He shouldn't be so concerned about it, it's part of life. The advantages for him would be huge since he would have a pool of a hundred active members, at any given point, doing R&D for him....for free!

I wish Tom would get on here and address some of the issues we have with him instead of running from them. We know for a fact that he does read HF because somebody re-posted a post he had made on another forum that literally addressed all the bitching and complaining that was happening here. He just chose to not confront his accusers directly; a mistake IMO. HHs are not my favorite hammock by any means, but they are a solid and complete set-up. I've spent many nights asleep in one of his hammocks and would never tell somebody that it's a bad hammock. I will tell about my experiences, but that's kind of the trade-off in capitalism; customers will talk about you as much as your product when you're successful.

I just wanted to clear the air and let the new people know that things were not always the way they are now. The negative talk is really fairly isolated to Tom's personal attitude that reared itself one year. Once he made everybody mad, the little details became much larger and started to fester. I honestly believe he's trying to do right these days. It's simply very difficult for a king (self-appointed or not) to fall upon his sword.

My opinion, for what it's worth.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Objectively put.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My opinion, for what it's worth.
    Your opinion is worth quite a bit. Because I agree with everything you said, there was no sense in quoting your entire post.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cody1786 View Post
    Alright... Well, LEGALLY speaking TH can't do crap against anyone making something for themselves or as a gift for someone else where no money is exchanged. ....
    I am not a lawyer, but as I read the pertinent US Code - you are wrong.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention, within the United States, or imports into the United States any patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent.
    You will note that it specifically states that "making" something that is patented is an infringement.

So as a DIYer, just making your own copy of a patented object is an infringement and you have doubly infringed by then using the patented object. Morally you are wrong as a DIYer to make and give away a patented object since you are then depriving the holder(s) of the patent income rightfully due them. Legally ( and morally??) it makes no difference if you think the patent was granted wrongly. If you strongly think that the patent was granted wrongly, then you should legally pursue having the patent declared invalid. Of course that is going to cost you a lot in terms of time and money. Civil disobedience has a long history in this country, but you should at least have a clear picture of your civil disobedience.

Of course, trying to bring a DIYer to court is going to cost more than the court action is probably worth to the patent holder. But legally the patent holder could do so and if they win the court case, cause the DIYer to stop and probably relinquish the patented object made.

Just trying to clear up a misconception about "making" something for your own use that is patented.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast