Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

20* Incubator update

Well I have now used my UQ for several months here in Florida. I gotta tell any of you that are thinking about getting one... DO IT !!! I can not tell you what a difference an UQ makes in getting a good nights sleep. I have had it on from 28* to 65* and it has worked great.
    I went out the other night and it was warm when I went to bed. I had the UQ pulled to the side until I cooled down some, reached under, pulled it under me and slept like a baby.I only have a 15* Marmot down bag for top cover so that was way too much. Gotta figure something else out pretty quick. Any ideas??? I thought about a fleece bag liner or poncho liner for summer.
    The incubator is very well made. A perfect size for me (6'3 250lbs). Good for cold and warm weather (I havent even had to loosen suspension yet to vent it). Adam, thank you very much for a very well made "essential" piece of gear, in my opinion. Heading to Linville gorge next month and it will definitely be making the trip with me.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Right. It is a mistake we immediately make to think of the bottom as we do the top. We don't do that with ordinary bedding. Maybe it would be better to think of the UQ as isolating you than insulating you.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    [QUOTE=im22sniper;681666]I only have a 15* Marmot down bag for top cover so that was way too much. Gotta figure something else out pretty quick. Any ideas??? QUOTE]

Yes, get a Burrow, the 20* to match your Incubator. Or, the 40* Burrow one will work well for 3 seasons and you can still use your Marmot bag for the colder hangs.

S

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've found that the UQ really keeps me warm. I can usually go 1/2 a night using the UQ alone in moderate temps. When it's down around freezing, I use a 40* bag on top.

Hammock
    Enos Double Nest
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=Sidewinder;681776]
    Quote Originally Posted by im22sniper View Post
    I only have a 15* Marmot down bag for top cover so that was way too much. Gotta figure something else out pretty quick. Any ideas??? QUOTE]

Yes, get a Burrow, the 20* to match your Incubator. Or, the 40* Burrow one will work well for 3 seasons and you can still use your Marmot bag for the colder hangs.

S
    I thought really hard about the 40* Burrow...however I think it still may be too much??? Top cover is definitely different than bottom cover. I didnt know that. I just refused to sleep on a pad again so I took the UQ. It will go with me on every trip from here on out.
    Looking hard at just a Sea to Summit bag liner for mid summer trips. For summer shoulder nights I may need a night shirt to go with the liner or just get the 40* incubator...dont know yet.

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    [QUOTE=im22sniper;682098]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

I thought really hard about the 40* Burrow...however I think it still may be too much??? Top cover is definitely different than bottom cover. I didnt know that. I just refused to sleep on a pad again so I took the UQ. It will go with me on every trip from here on out.
    Looking hard at just a Sea to Summit bag liner for mid summer trips. For summer shoulder nights I may need a night shirt to go with the liner or just get the 40* incubator...dont know yet.
    I use the therm a rest tech blanket for tq when the temps are above 50* been working great for me for the last couple years
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    Depends on how warm or cold you sleep. I bought a Sea to Summit warm liner and Coolmax liner for ground camping and they've served me well. I used the Coolmax when my wife and I went in the middle of summer here in MN, which is almost as bad as Florida. Easier to wash than down, too. There are lots of silk liners out there as well.

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    I use a 20* Burrow for temps ranging from single digits up to around 45*. Above that, I find that I really don't need much top insulation if I'm using an adequate UQ. If I'm looking at projected lows of 50 or above, I carry a single-layer IX topquilt that weighs hardly a thing and took me only a short time to make. With very little skill, you can make a topquilt for a bit of money and a bit more patience.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I have a short 30 degree down bag for 3 season but on those 70 degree nights I just use a fleece bag with my 20* Incubator.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts