Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiPerogi View Post
    Well, I think I'm sold/hooked!
    First time in my hammock this weekend, and wow!

Was worried my knees would give me grief, but was soooo comfy!
    Maybe I'm nieve at this point, but I can't imagine why I would need or want anything other than the package I now have.

One Question:
    I actually used the sleeping pad inside the hammock, but I'm not sure I will next time.
    My sleeping bag has no insulation on the back torso(Big Agnes system), so I figured I might get cold. I might try without next time.
    Is using a sleeping pad inside the hammock common practice at all or do most people leave them at home?
    When I lived in the midwest I didn't bring a pad with me, but now I'm living in the Rocky Mountains I do. Trees are harder to come by on many hikes, and the possibility of going to ground is too great to risk it. My RidgeRest 3/4 length weighs just 9 oz and provides me the insurance I need. Plus, unlike the blue closed-cell foam pads, the RidgeRest is a good deal softer and conforms better without bunching or creasing. Also, it was only $20.

So yes, I always bring a pad with me, even though I might not use it. Similarly, I always bring a tarp, even when there is no rain in the forecast: I'd rather carry it and not use it than need and it and not have it.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You shouldn't need a pad with the Z-Liner, unless it is real cold. I am happy to hear you like the NX-250. I miss it sometimes. Good luck.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    3 Season Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiPerogi View Post
    Well, I think I'm sold/hooked!
    First time in my hammock this weekend, and wow!

Was worried my knees would give me grief, but was soooo comfy!
    Maybe I'm nieve at this point, but I can't imagine why I would need or want anything other than the package I now have.

One Question:
    I actually used the sleeping pad inside the hammock, but I'm not sure I will next time.
    My sleeping bag has no insulation on the back torso(Big Agnes system), so I figured I might get cold. I might try without next time.
    Is using a sleeping pad inside the hammock common practice at all or do most people leave them at home?
    I just recently switched to a hammock from a tent for my thru hike of the Colorado Trail, and spent my first night outside in it yesterday.

I slept with no pad at first, and woke up at about 2am with a ridiculously cold back. I think the temperature was approaching 60 at that point. I came back out with my 30degree Jarbridge River Underquilt and fell back asleep warm and toasty all night. You'll definitely notice that even slightly cool temperatures turn chilly very quickly on your back with no protection.

It's my understanding that unless it's very cold and you're combining systems together, most people either choose an underquilt OR a pad. Personally I'm bringing my underquilt, a pad for going to the ground due to lack of trees--or extra cold nights, and a 20 degree down top quilt. I'm expecting to have to deal with sub 30 degree temperatures though.

What sort of weather are you going to be camping in?

Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    You shouldn't need a pad with the Z-Liner, unless it is real cold. I am happy to hear you like the NX-250. I miss it sometimes. Good luck.
    Yeah, good point! I guess I could just put the liner back in...
    Mind you, as some folks have pointed out, if there aren't any trees around, and I'm "forced to the ground", it would be nice to have the pad...
    Not sure that being forced to the ground means sleeping in the hammock on the ground, or just without it. Does the Clark Jungle even et up on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nack View Post
    I just recently switched to a hammock from a tent for my thru hike of the Colorado Trail, and spent my first night outside in it yesterday.

I slept with no pad at first, and woke up at about 2am with a ridiculously cold back. I think the temperature was approaching 60 at that point. I came back out with my 30degree Jarbridge River Underquilt and fell back asleep warm and toasty all night. You'll definitely notice that even slightly cool temperatures turn chilly very quickly on your back with no protection.

It's my understanding that unless it's very cold and you're combining systems together, most people either choose an underquilt OR a pad. Personally I'm bringing my underquilt, a pad for going to the ground due to lack of trees--or extra cold nights, and a 20 degree down top quilt. I'm expecting to have to deal with sub 30 degree temperatures though.

What sort of weather are you going to be camping in?
    Thanks for the feedback. I expect to camp 95%+ in spring and summer months, and typically in the Pacific Northwest (close to home).
    I do plan to use it on motorcycle trips througout the US but typically on the Westcoast or close to it. MIGHT go to Mexico at some point too.

I live in Canada. It's a whole nother country eh?
    30 degrees here is the hotest it gets! (but that's because we use the celcius scale)
    Probably the coldest I PLAN to use it in will be about 50F.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123