Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    Ya know? I'd still rather drive a ridiculous long way and take a course with likeminded hanger-types and pay a fee, then pay the same fee and take the course in a boring florescent lit room with a bunch of folks most of whom are only there because they have to be for work or whatever.
    TOTALLY agree!
    I don't even know if this is still the policy or not. I just want to make sure as much is on the table as possible so that folks aren't thinking one thing to only get blindsided by another. I think the idea behind this thread is fantastic and I'm a big proponent of knowing as much as possible about First Aid. Particularly as it is applied in the Great Outdoors.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    warmsoda, what does it take to become an accredited instructor for wfa? One of my friends is a certified paramedic, and teaches the cpr cert. Is there any other training that is needed for WFA?
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm pretty sure I could attend one in NC. Will keep watching for possible dates. If it turns out to be in the western part of the state, I may can lend a hand if need be.

Muttly
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images

Talking A Cannibal Teaching First Aid?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I used to be an Instructor Trainer for the ARC in Florida. I haven't taught, much less trained instructors, since about 2005. I'd be willing to go back through the program to get my instructor certs up to date if there are enough people in the Colorado area that would be interested in it.
    Cannibal: "So you apply the tourniquet on the arm real tight, until his arm turns blue."

Student: "Aren't you supposed to loosen it occasionally?"

The Cannibal: "Nah, that just makes it harder to get him into the pot when he can fight with both arms!"

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Maybe things have changed, but....

The Red Cross still charged a 'certification fee' even if the instructor was volunteering his/her time. They would usually offer a fairly good discount, but in order to be a 'card carrying certified whatever' the students still had to fork over some cash in addition to the material fees. If this is no longer the policy, then nevermind.
    There is a fee for materials usually. This weekend I was assisting with a class at a Boy Scout camp where the price per person was less than $60. This would only really matter to those who would want an actual certificate at the end. If you are interested in the education only, then I don't think it would matter to have some extra people, "sit in" on the class/hang.

Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    warmsoda, what does it take to become an accredited instructor for wfa? One of my friends is a certified paramedic, and teaches the cpr cert. Is there any other training that is needed for WFA?
    I can only speak for the Red Cross, but a background education of the material would be an asset for sure. I had to take a class on how to be an instructor, which included how to follow a fairly rigid course outline of what to cover and how to cover it. If you are interested in instructing, you could volunteer with your local chapter and they would train you for free.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Cannibal: "So you apply the tourniquet on the arm real tight, until his arm turns blue."

Student: "Aren't you supposed to loosen it occasionally?"

The Cannibal: "Nah, that just makes it harder to get him into the pot when he can fight with both arms!"
    Funny! Uh, ... that won't be covered in class.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I would recommend considering Fairfield Lake, not because it's near Austin or Houston, it's closer to Dallas near I45, but up there you are a reasonable distance from those three large population areas and within a fair range from East Texas towns as well. FWIW, I45 is a better drive IMHO than I35 due to less truck traffic. It's also a simple shot south for Oklahoma and Arkansas hangers.
    UncleMJM, Thanks for the info. I'm looking at Fairfield right now. Do you know if there are enough trees in the Big Brown Creek Primitive Camping Area? It says a limit of eight people per campsite, so if demand is high we might need two?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I added a poll for weekends for the Texas hang.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    The best dates for me for a NC hang would be April 30, May 1, 2. Does anyone have any suggestions for a site for that time? I'll be travelling around Charlotte, but I'm open to almost anywhere in NC, VA, or TN area.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    I (shamelessly) volunteer Pisgah National Forest here in WNC. We may be able to pull in more 'hangers'. There is quite a diversity of terrain, 'real' wilderness, and is quite suitable for any and all scenarios necessary to create for the class. I took WFA with Red Cross here in H'ville last year. I'd love to take it again. There's no substitution for review and "Practice Practice Practice". In an emergency situation - one must KNOW what to do, not figure out what to do. Unfortunately the first thing people lose in these type situations is their minds.

If I may be of any assistance in planning or execution, I'm available.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That could be good Running Feather.
    Warm Soda... what kind of set up would you see as the most practical...
    I would guess car camping in a campground were both wilderness & civilization are both at hand???
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast