Hammock
    MYOG Gathered End
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    None Yet
    Suspension
    Polyester Web
    Simple method. Just what I was looking for.

One question though (Tried to read all replies to make sure it wasn't already answered)...How does the material hold up when sewing directly to itself?

I just got some no-seeum, and was thinking I would need to use grosgrain or something similar to give the stitch something to "bite into".

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkeyhiker View Post
    Simple method. Just what I was looking for.

One question though (Tried to read all replies to make sure it wasn't already answered)...How does the material hold up when sewing directly to itself?

I just got some no-seeum, and was thinking I would need to use grosgrain or something similar to give the stitch something to "bite into".
    It actually holds up really well. Just cut off a piece of scrap and give it a practice run and you'll see what I mean.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL & DIY
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Hey everyone, Fronkey here and I made a video tutorial on how to make a bugnet for your hammock. This is the bug net design I have been using for quite awhile now and prefer it over ones with zippers. It's easy to get in and out and it works perfect for keeping the bugs out.

I am also including below, step by step instructions with pictures on how to make it as well.
    So, you can get both a video and pictures to help you out with this fun project.

Materials
    7 yards no see um fabric
    5 yards 1/8” shock cord
    1 cord lock
    Black 100% polyester thread

You can use tulle instead of the no see um. However no see um netting repels insects better because the holes are smaller.
    Also, you can use different size shock cord as well. This is just my preference and it does save on weight. If you want to go even lighter you can use 7/64”

Since ridgeline lengths very in size, you first want to measure your ridgeline.

Once you have your ridgeline measured, multiply that number by two to include both sides of the bug net. Then add 6 inches to give your hammock net some wiggle room by the gathered ends. You don’t want the netting tight on your hammock in case you move around a lot in it. If it's tight, you may take the chance of damaging it and giving that extra room prevents that.

I am going to use a ridgeline of 110" as my example.

If your ridgeline is 110" and you mutiply that by two, you get 220".Then you add 6" to get a total of 226".

Next, take your big piece of fabric and fold it in half. Once you've folded it over, your piece will be 113" long.

You will then sew one of your lengthwise pieces together. This will be what hangs over your ridgeline.

Time for your bottom. First, you want to find what 20% of your ridgeline length is. To get this you multiply your ridgeline length by .20.

For example:
    If my ridgeline is 110" and I want 20%, you just multiply your ridgeline length by .20 to get your answer. Which would be 22"

x.20

Then on your bottom, measure inward to your answer, and mark it.

Repeat this on the other side too.

Time for some cutting. You are going to cut your fabric from where you marked the bottom, to the top corner. In the picture below I labeled it "point A" and "Point B"

Again, repeat this on the other side as well.

It should look something like this, when you're done.

Back to the sewing machine. You are now going to sew your sides together. When doing this, you do not want to sew all the way to the top. Just leave enough room for your suspension to fit through. So, if you are using whoopie slings, a small hole or a bigger one if your using webbing for suspension. etc...

The line in red below is what you sew and the line in green is where your gap is going to be.

You're almost done!

Finally, it's time to do your channels.

Fold over a piece of your fabric and leave a gap just big enough for your shockcord to slide through. You will do this for the entire bottom of your bugnet.

Then slide your shock cord through what you just sewed leaving some extra cord on the ends for your cord lock. Put on your cordlock, tie a knot at the end and you are finished!

Now you put it on your bugnet and enjoy being bug free!

I hope this helps some people out and if there's anything I can help you out with please let me know.

Fronkey
    LOL, I just watched this video on YouTube last night. I like the idea. I also like the idea of sliding it across and then cinching it up that way.

Which would be lighter?

Your method
    Cinch method from one end of hammock
    zipper method?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY 10'X8'
    Insulation
    Pad/over quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Webbing
    Images
    Great post. Very easy to follow!!!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    air mattress
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    It actually holds up really well. Just cut off a piece of scrap and give it a practice run and you'll see what I mean.

Fronkey
    Did you have to use any special kind of thread?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by PAHikingTrails View Post
    LOL, I just watched this video on YouTube last night. I like the idea. I also like the idea of sliding it across and then cinching it up that way.

Which would be lighter?

Your method
    Cinch method from one end of hammock
    zipper method?

Thanks!
    It really varies on some things. Hammock length, length of zipper, diameter of shock cord, material used etc.

For example, Papa Smurf's sock is probably the lightest because it's made from Tulle.
    I personally like this one because the bottom entry lets me grab stuff off the ground without having to unzip or move anything.

Quote Originally Posted by djohns21158 View Post
    Great post. Very easy to follow!!!
    Thanks so much dude!

Quote Originally Posted by drauch View Post
    Did you have to use any special kind of thread?
    Use 100% Polyester thread. I use Gutterman's.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Thanks Fronkey!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images

oops

Quote Originally Posted by PAHikingTrails View Post
    I also like the idea of sliding it across and then cinching it up that way.
    I liked that too, but don't forget like I did and set up your bed (pad and bag) with the net pushed aside and then realize that it won't fit through the little hole with the pad and bag in it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    I liked that too, but don't forget like I did and set up your bed (pad and bag) with the net pushed aside and then realize that it won't fit through the little hole with the pad and bag in it.
    LOL, thanks for the FYI!

Smile Hammock bug net

for my simple gathered end hammock i used a piece of no-see-um and put velcro on the ends so it could close over the lines. I then slipped some weight in the middle of each side to hold it down. I just used the roll width - a hem and it just made the width, i mean just. The more sag you use (flatter sleep on the diagonal) the more width you'll need from the mesh as the hammock dips lower below the ridgeline.

An option i have been considering because to save weight is to just do enough bug netting so it can drape over my top half and tuck around my quilt. If it is cold enough for this to work (being able to be fully covered by the quilt) the bugs might not be an issue any way though. I would just take 2yds and sew 1 60" side together leaving a small enough gap for the lines. I would pull this over the head end and then when i needed it i could pull it over me and tuck around my quilt. This wouldn't be supported by the ridgeline but could have a tab over your face to pull it up to the ridgeline to keep it off you.

Right now i am testing a hammock (not made nor designed by me) that has full bug proofing so i hadn't gotten around to trying this out but it is my plan if i try to do UL or SUL hammock hiking. Right now i plan to hammock for canoeing only.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast