Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Well I'm nearing being able to get a new tarp and I'm having second thoughts about which to get.

On one side of the coin I like the thought of having a HUGE tarp such as the Superfly so that I can stay out of the rain and have a nice sized area to be in.

On the other side of the coin I have a fiance and a daughter that I'll be bringing with me that both have standard asm-diamond tarps for their hammocks. Thus I won't be camping if it's going to storm the whole time because they'll be stuck in their hammocks.

Now I can get a tarp similar to theirs and be fine in the woods. When it rains here it's usually only for an hour or so, no big deal. The time I camped and got my butt kicked was when I was on a lake exposed to the wind, not in the woods where I usually camp. I have never noticed that kind of wind in the thick forests of the Blue Ridge Mountains where I go camping.

I also go camping for three seasons but towards the nicer weather of them. Late spring and early fall and the summer is when I can take my 7 year old and temperature not be an issue.

So do I need a superfly tarp with doors and all that coverage if the two people I'm going to bring with me don't have a similar tarp and I only camp in decent weather??

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Or you can have a "HUGE" rainfly as a place for all of you to gather if/when a storm hits.

That way they don't have to stay in their hammocks.

Instead, you skin up your own hammock to keep it dry and outta the way, rig your huge tarp with a porch, and bring everyone underneath to stay dry and cook up a warm drink on a stove.

That's one reason I love having my HH Hex fly. My youngest camped out under his BMJ reading a book and sipping coffee the morning it stormed the last time we went out.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

I don't like being confined to a hammock just because it's raining any more than I do a tent. It's more comfortable than a tent IMHO ... but having a larger tarp ... that I can porch mode in a rain storm has made all the difference in the experience to me. The weight penalty ... just isn't a penalty the way I see it.

HammockGear has a great Cuben tarp that's pretty large ... and it light weight. I'm thinking I'd better start saving me some pennies for one of those down the road. But for now ... I'm loving my Superfly. OGEE is another good option too! Even my old rectangular 10x12 Equinox sil is still a favorite!

Ya won't see this old fart in a minimalist tarp ... just not going to happen.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I don't like being confined to a hammock just because it's raining any more than I do a tent. It's more comfortable than a tent IMHO ... but having a larger tarp ... that I can porch mode in a rain storm has made all the difference in the experience to me. The weight penalty ... just isn't a penalty the way I see it.

HammockGear has a great Cuben tarp that's pretty large ... and it light weight. I'm thinking I'd better start saving me some pennies for one of those down the road. But for now ... I'm loving my Superfly. OGEE is another good option too! Even my old rectangular 10x12 Equinox sil is still a favorite!

Ya won't see this old fart in a minimalist tarp ... just not going to happen.
    I understand. For the little extra cash it probably isn't worth skimping.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I love big tarps all year round and agree with Hawk Eye that I dont consoder it a weight penalty. Now the nice thing bout cuben is that u can carry an 11 by 8 tarp and only have it weigh 7 or 8 oz or so. The extra coverage is well worth it. Id look into hammock gear cuben tarp and z pack tarps. Depends if Just u want a sewn or bonded ridge line. If u don't go the cuben route id check out OES or The Super Fly.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    You could also get you and the 2 ladies a Guide Gear or Chinook tarp and still come in = or under the cost of the SF.

Another option.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Well I've been doing some more research.

I am curious as to why some tarpmakers don't seam seal their tarps for you?

I've heard on one of Shug's videos about the Warbonnet tarps that the ridgeline doesn't need to be sealed but that the panel pulls do? I don't know if this is still the case but I don't really want to have to worry about any of that. I want my tarp to be turn key so to speak.

Does thing change my options??

Also....it seems like I'd be able to use the MacCat Ultra in the same manner as the superfly in that I could use it as a porch?

Just exploring my options here.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro15 View Post
    Well I've been doing some more research.

I am curious as to why some tarpmakers don't seam seal their tarps for you?
    As for seam sealing tarps by the manufacturers, it's a matter of the time to do it and the space to hang the tarp so that the sealer can effectively dry. Outdoor Equipment Supplier seams seals tarps as a standard feature. Jacks R Better will do the seam sealing for you for the cost of the sealer that they sell. As mentioned the tarps from Warbonnet Outdoors don't need the ridgeline seam sealed due to the way it is constructed. The panel pulls can be seam sealed but it is not necessary because if they do leak, it won't be on your hammock.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    You can fake it with a poly tarp if you're short on $$$. The cheaper they are, the lighter they are. I have one that is brown on one side and green on the other--- far better than the blue ones.

I'm liking the looks of the Superfly a lot too. Being able to close the ends off when needed is very cool. My dog could stay cozy under that. It really isn't all that heavy considering the size and the price isn't bad either.

As to stakes, I had a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1, which was supposed to be a "free standing" solo tent. It took TWELVE stakes to properly pitch that thing! I wanted a nail gun

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I'm liking the OES four season tarp. If I put panel pulls on it are there any benefits of getting the Superfly instead??

I also like the MacCat Deluxe, but may want some doors, not 100% sure yet. That's why I'm thinking that the four season might be better.

I also saw a post about the Cuben Deluxe....any photos of that OES tarp?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast