Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Best way to hang a hammock in the yard.

My yard is devoid of good hanging tree's and I really miss having my hammock up. I've tried some hammock stands but never got a good hang. I'm thinking I need to bury some posts. My plan was to buy 2 4x4x6 posts. By some concrete and cardboard pier forms. dig 2 2ft holes, sinks the posts pour the crete and hang my hammock. Does this sound reasonable or is there a better way to do it?

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    My yard is devoid of good hanging tree's and I really miss having my hammock up. I've tried some hammock stands but never got a good hang. I'm thinking I need to bury some posts. My plan was to buy 2 4x4x6 posts. By some concrete and cardboard pier forms. dig 2 2ft holes, sinks the posts pour the crete and hang my hammock. Does this sound reasonable or is there a better way to do it?

Does to me that is what i have done in the past. I made sure i was about 14 ft apart that way i could practice different hangs and and tarp configs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If it were me, I'd try to find some longer posts. You should be burying at least 18" of the post, which is going to leave you with only about 4 1/2 vertical feet. It should work, but if you ever want to play with some of the big hammocks meant to be hung with a lot of sag, taller will be better. Just a thought since you're still in the planning phase.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Can you get 4x4 posts that are longer than 6ft? Would they have enough strenght if you wanted to hang a hammock higher?

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    If I'm not mistaken you can buy 4x4 in 6',8' and 10', I think for any bigger than that you have to go an actual lumber yard not one like Home Depot or Lowes.
    Chris

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Can you get 4x4 posts that are longer than 6ft? Would they have enough strenght if you wanted to hang a hammock higher?
    You can get 8' ones here. I assume you can get them anywhere.
    I don't know about the strength factor, somebody smarter than I will chime in soon enough. However, that problem can be easily addressed by putting in some type of brace across the top of one post to the other.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    you can get doug fir 4"X4"X12' off the shelf at menards, it should be plenty strong. You could also order 4"X6"X12' from their building supply desk if you would rather have them. Since you're burying them you may want to go with treated lumber, it will be much more rot resistant. You can find it in the isles that have the stuff for decks. If you use 4"X4"s make sure they are fairly clear (no knots or defects) or they could break. You may want to consider landscape timbers, they're green treated, rough sawn (so the ropes or webbing wont slip), cheaper, and you can get them in 6"X6"s. You can dig a hole as deep as you want (or can) and use a concreat designed for post holes. You dump it in dry and add water so there's no mixing. Good luck!
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    4x4's should be plenty strong.

IMO the biggest problem to overcome is keeping them in the ground. There will be a lot of torque trying to pry them out.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    for buried posts outside I would strongly recommend treated lumber. Even encased in concrete there would be places where bugs and rot could get in and seriously weaken the post with showing a lot of damage visible by eye until it is too late. There are different treatments available. Ask the lumber yard what treatment would be best for a buried post.

The other option people have used is to bury a sleeve and then have a metal pole which slides intol that sleeve. That way the post can be removed for lawn work and doifferent lengths could be used if desired.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 2
    Suspension
    Cord/Straps
    4x4 posts would easily be strong enough. They come up to 12' in the local home depot. Most places will have them to 10' minimum so that you can build an 8' fence and have 2' of post below ground. I echo the sentiment about using treated lumber - the local home depot also sells a full complement of pressure treated.

This is an interesting idea, good luck and let us (me) know how it turns out, I was considering something like this. (although, not immediately, I just finished with putting up a fence. Don't feel like digging more stupid holes and mixing more concrete.)

Of course, the suggestion that of the post sleeve with removable posts had me going ... "ohhh that's an interesting idea"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast