DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I went to Home Depot looking for simple off the shelf items to use as toggles. I found these:

The hitch pin would make a good toggle for a marlin spike hitch. My scale is an old non digital mail scale and it shows an approximate weight of 3/4 oz.

The clevis pin would make a convenient toggle that could be laced onto a fixed loop to connect rigging to a tarp or as I saw someone earlier in this thread lace one onto the loop of their woopie sling to create a non-removable toggle that can slide. I have not received my 7/64" AmSteel Blue yet so I don't know if it will thread through the holes or if they would need to be enlarged.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    Wow... After reading the entire thread I feel like I just climbed Everest! My advise to anyone that has skipped to the end with out reading the whole thread is to go back to the start and read the entire thread (PS: pack a lunch it's going to take a while).

Fantastic advise and although I have yet to make my first whoopie sling I feel ready to give it a try. I just ordered some Amsteel Blue and by this time next week I'll be "making whoopies"... Obviously I am getting on the whoopie sling train a little after the fact but it was really neat reading the thread after the fact and seeing the evolution of the idea and the techniques. Thanks to all for the input, SlowBro for the excellent start to this adventure and Grizz for the great videos (whoopie slings, marlin hitches etc...).

Hammock Forums rocks! The good advice and sharing of quality info has made my first year as a hammocker a real pleasure.
    GvilleDave,

Welcome to the world of Whoopie, and congratulations on making it all the way trough the thread.

I am amazed at the continued development of the constrictor systems. Ridgelines, suspensions, tarp tieouts, gear straps... It's just wild what everyone has come up with and the techniques and tools have improved since the Yarn Darner Needle I used initially. I think you will will have fun making your Whoopie slings or UCRs or what ever you decide on. I still kinda marvel at the simplicity of the whole thing. And I will join with you in saying this forum rocks and thanking all the folks that have helped me on this hammock journey. Happy Trails.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    I went to Home Depot looking for simple off the shelf items to use as toggles.

The hitch pin would make a good toggle for a marlin spike hitch. My scale is an old non digital mail scale and it shows an approximate weight of 3/4 oz.

The clevis pin would make a convenient toggle that could be laced onto a fixed loop to connect rigging to a tarp or as I saw someone earlier in this thread lace one onto the loop of their woopie sling to create a non-removable toggle that can slide. I have not received my 7/64" AmSteel Blue yet so I don't know if it will thread through the holes or if they would need to be enlarged.
    The clevis and hitch pin are great, but you might consider just a short piece of hardwood dowel. 1/2 inch diameter is probably adequate. You can drill a hole in one end and thread a small piece of cord through that. Attach it to you tree straps and you can't lose it. I started out using a hitch pin, but I never found I needed that much strength in the toggle. Heck, PapaSmurf used a Sharpie pen and that worked --(well kinda). Anyway, experimentation is half the fun. Enjoy!
    Last edited by SlowBro; 03-13-2010 at 11:51.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    Actually, you can just tie a short piece of rope or twine loosely around the line of your whoopie loop to prevent accidentally pulling it all the way in and the loop becoming a backsplice. The bead is nice, though, if you think of it ahead of time.
    Another thing that works well is a velcro cable tie. It weighs under one gram, but you can cut half of it off. This is also a dual-use item. You attach the tie to one strand of the whoopie, but wrap it around both. It has enough friction so that it stays in place if you push it up towards the toggle. This way, the loop cannot open up and slide off the toggle quite as easily during setup.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Another thing that works well is a velcro cable tie. It weighs under one gram, but you can cut half of it off. This is also a dual-use item. You attach the tie to one strand of the whoopie, but wrap it around both. It has enough friction so that it stays in place if you push it up towards the toggle. This way, the loop cannot open up and slide off the toggle quite as easily during setup.
    ???
    Picture?
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images

Looking for best of both worlds

I used my DIY whoopies for the first time this weekend. Loved the easy adjustment, but miss the convenience of quick tie off that comes with the strap suspension.

I am now pondering how to have the best of both worlds. A whoopie sling with an attached strap to wrap around the tree?
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WLMiller54 View Post
    I used my DIY whoopies for the first time this weekend. Loved the easy adjustment, but miss the convenience of quick tie off that comes with the strap suspension.

I am now pondering how to have the best of both worlds. A whoopie sling with an attached strap to wrap around the tree?
    You could do this... Youll need a biner or Dutch Clip....

Have your tree straps with a loop on either end. In one of the loops on your strap you can build the adjustable eye of the sling through it. You could even use a thimble with keepers on it, like this...

So the sling rope doesnt simply collapse the loop. I have a few of these thimbles from a project I was working on.....

This will permanently affix your slings to one of the loops on your tree strap. The other loop will use a dutch clip or biner... Wrap around the tree and hook it back to itself.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Heres what it would look like..

I dont know if the nylon thimble after being cut to get through the webbing loop will hold up. Ill get some weight on it later to see how it does.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Heres what it would look like..

I dont know if the nylon thimble after being cut to get through the webbing loop will hold up. Ill get some weight on it later to see how it does.
    I'm just getting into whoopie slings and I love this idea of having them attached to the tree straps. I was trying to think of a nice way to do it and this a a great simple idea!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Youll need something other than Nylon.... SS would probabaly be the best bet. I have some, but they are too small. Ive got some larger ones on the way to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 51 of 106 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast