WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix,LHBR,PP
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Change in arrival time

Had planned to arrive on fri evening and bring cinnamon rolls for sat morning. I will now arrive sometime around noon on sat.

I removed the cinnamon rolls from list and put back "something sweet". Could bring bread for Gumbo or any other item if someone has a suggestion.

If bread, what kind is needed?

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bike camper View Post
    Had planned to arrive on fri evening and bring cinnamon rolls for sat morning. I will now arrive sometime around noon on sat.

I removed the cinnamon rolls from list and put back "something sweet". Could bring bread for Gumbo or any other item if someone has a suggestion.

If bread, what kind is needed?
    French loaves, baguettes or cuban bread is fine. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix,LHBR,PP
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Bread

Will check tomorrow to make sure I can get one of these at local grocery.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bike camper View Post
    Will check tomorrow to make sure I can get one of these at local grocery.
    Really any kind of bread will do, the ones I mentioned have harder crusts is all. Rolls or biscuits will do as well.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    There is always Sunday breakfast
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just bringing together a few posts containing useful information here in one place.
    Note the spread sheets listed in the 1st post of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Note; Don't forget to check out the spread sheets at the bottom of the first post of this planning thread, including the "Group Meal" spread sheet to see if there is anything you would be able to contribute.

I called the GHSP. The two Rangers we meet in Jan (Marcia & Kevin) were not available but another lady answered my questions.
    Firewood; As talked about, be sure not to bring firewood from areas w/ problems like the Emerald Ash Borer or Gypsy Moth. She didn't say if there were other pests to be considered.

Festival admission; No charge to those camping in the state park.

Backpacking; Other than in the campsite areas, camping is not allowed inside the State Park. So taking the trails across the road from our group site will take you outside the SP & to the AT in not much more than a mile.
    Here is a map showing the trails leaving the campground, leaving the SP & going to the AT & other trails.
    Note that the broad, blue line is the border of GHSP.

We will have paper maps in camp as well.
    I will lay out some basic info on getting to GHSP & also the AT & other hiking trails.
    You may want to copy the trail description to take w/ you on the trail if you think you may go hiking.

Hwy 58 in VA. will take you to the entrance to Grayson Highlands State Park.http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/graysonh.htm
    GHSP phone#... (276) 579-7092
    area ranger... (276) 783-5196

When you enter the park, it's all up hill & for a good ways.
    1st you will come to the check-in booth. You will see info fees for overnight parking, etc.
    You will be getting a tag to hang on your rear view mirror showing that you have paid. All you will have to do is tell them you are w/ the group that has the group camping site reserved. The group site has already been paid for by Rockdawg & we will repay him out of the raffle.

As you continue up the park road you will pass the entrance to the picnic area on the right. That's were the festival will be but to go to the camp ground, keep going.
    A little ways farther, you will turn right onto the paved road leading to the camp ground. These are easy to see because of the normal, brown park signs.
    As soon as you turn onto the campground road, you will see the gravel parking area for overnight backpacking on the left, but keep going on the camp ground road.
    As you begin to enter the campground, you will see a small building (divided by a breezeway) on the right, w/ a sign that says "country store".
    The paved parking beside the country store is also for the group site.
    Considering the number of cars we will have, part of our hammockers will need to unload their stuff, drive back to the parking sites along the main park road, having someone from our hammock group shuttle you back to camp.

There is a gravel parking lot strait across from the store as well, but I'm not sure how many (if any) of our cars they will want us parking there because it is mainly intended for hikers I think.

If your set up is fairly simple & you will not have a great amount of food to store in a car, please consider parking in one of the further away spaces.
    I'm sure your personal food could be stored it in one of the cars staying at camp or hung from bear bag lines.

Getting to the AT for hiking & backpacking.
    At the back-side of the gravel parking lot strait across from the store, you'll see a wide, multi-use trail (like a forest service road) that you'll follow by foot.
    There are a couple trails that go off of that trail, but the main trail is obvious & you just stay on that.
    You will cross two creeks that are not deep but just wide enough that they could make it a challenge to keep your feet dry... depends on the water flow & if there is snow or ice on the rocks.
    After 20-30 minutes, the AT will cross the trail/road that you have been walking.
    To go toward Wise Shelter, take a left on the AT. you'll soon cross a creek on a wooden foot bridge (w/ hand rails) & a couple minutes later be at Wise Shelter.
    The whole walk took me about 40 minutes.

extra note...HOI told us last year about a short cut on the trails that saved us from having to make that last creek crossing.
    when you see the 2nd wide creek just down the trail in front of you, there will be a zig-zag pony gate up on the bank to your left.
    if you go through the gate & continue up the hill, you will come to the AT near wise shelter in about 5 minutes.
    there may not be much of a trail to see, but just go strait up hill away from the road through an area that's mostly open w/ grass & a few shrubs.
    if there's any snow on the ground & others have already used that path, it will be easy to follow their tracks.
    Oh, the facilities... there is a water spigot at the edge of our camp site, but to get to the shower house/bathrooms, you walk (or drive if things get desperate) into the main part of the camp ground. I guess it's a couple minutes walk.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I was asked a couple questions by PM that might should be covered here as well.
    Things I'm not sure of I will find out & edit this post w/ the correct info.

On late arrivals being able to enter the park after hours... good question. I plan to get an answer tomorrow.

Cash needed... You do not need to pay park fees. My understanding is that they are taken care of w/ the group site which has already been paid for. I'll double check that tomorrow too.
    As far as other cash, some may eat on the way there or on the way home, but that can be paid by card if you choose. And I believe some of us will be going to the near by Log Cabin Restaurant for lunch Sun.
    In the park, you may want cash to buy a meal at the festival Sat, or possibly apple butter, molasses, a souvenir or craft.
    And you may want to get in on the raffle for hammock gear at $10 per ticket.
    Oh, you may need cash for buying ponies at the auction

Hammock
    dangerbird
    Tarp
    Hennesey Hex
    Insulation
    t&bquilts-kangaroo
    Suspension
    straps
    Can somebody post a schedule of hammock forum events for those of us with limited "rememories"? I know I'm telling tales after the raffle and supper on Saturday evening, but I'm still fuzzy on when everything else is...

Thanks

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudden View Post
    Can somebody post a schedule of hammock forum events for those of us with limited "rememories"? I know I'm telling tales after the raffle and supper on Saturday evening, but I'm still fuzzy on when everything else is...

Thanks
    Here's how I basically see it happening at this point. Open for discussion.

Fri... Our group members will arrive all through the day from morning til evening.
    We will set up base camp, meet the rangers & talk about the Hammock Demo. I will go with one of the rangers (Kevin) who is doing a Ranger program for kids next to were our Hammock demo will be set up, & take a look at were we will set up for our demo on Sat.
    A few of our group may also want to go along to see were we will set up for the hammock demo, getting a better idea what to expect.
    Some early arrivals from our group may want to do a day hike Fri after getting settled in camp.

Fri supper organized by ldcakes... Taco Soup!

Sat... Sat morn will start a little earlier than normal for some in order for those setting up the Hammock Demo to get set in the Festival area at a decent time. We will decide on the timing as we talk with the ranger on Fri.
    We will start with a group breakfast, pack up what we want to take to the Hammock Demo & go set up.

Times may be adjusted on Fri but here is a possible schedule for Sat...
    7am... start breakfast own your own.
    9am... those setting up & starting the hammock demo be at the festival with gear.
    Not everyone needs to take part in the hammock demo, but hopefully we will have enough willing to take part that those working the demo will have relief for eating, bathroom breaks, or just to enjoy the festival.

Some may want to day hike, see the festival activities, etc on Sat.
    The pony auction is at another location up the road from the festival on Sat.
    Everyone is on their own for lunch Sat. They sell food at the festival for those wanting to do that.

We will need to gather our Hammock Demo at some point in the late afternoon & head back to camp for supper which will be gumbo by Gumbo (& helpers)!
    Supper will be followed by the raffle, featuring Dutch as the Master of Ceremonies.
    After the raffle we will have opportunity to hear ghost stories by Puddin.

Sun... Sunday morning will be very casual. It always gets gone & people begin to leave way to soon.
    The timing & direction will not work out for every one but I believe some of the group will want to go to the Log Cabin Restaurant for lunch (maybe a late lunch) on Sun.

Hammock
    dangerbird
    Tarp
    Hennesey Hex
    Insulation
    t&bquilts-kangaroo
    Suspension
    straps

Thanks Slowhike!

Groovy... Drackin and I (and my dad) will be there by 7PM on Friday at the outside, but I'm shooting for 6PM.
    Here's how I basically see it happening at this point. Open for discussion.

Fri... Our group members will arrive all through the day from morning til evening.
    We will set up base camp, meet the rangers & talk about the Hammock Demo. I will go with one of the rangers (Kevin) who is doing a Ranger program for kids next to were our Hammock demo will be set up, & take a look at were we will set up for our demo on Sat.
    A few of our group may also want to go along to see were we will set up for the hammock demo, getting a better idea what to expect.
    Some early arrivals from our group may want to do a day hike Fri after getting settled in camp.

Fri supper organized by ldcakes... Taco Soup!

Sat... Sat morn will start a little earlier than normal for some in order for those setting up the Hammock Demo to get set in the Festival area at a decent time. We will decide on the timing as we talk with the ranger on Fri.
    We will start with a group breakfast, pack up what we want to take to the Hammock Demo & go set up.

Times may be adjusted on Fri but here is a possible schedule for Sat...
    7am... start breakfast own your own.
    9am... those setting up & starting the hammock demo be at the festival with gear.
    Not everyone needs to take part in the hammock demo, but hopefully we will have enough willing to take part that those working the demo will have relief for eating, bathroom breaks, or just to enjoy the festival.

Some may want to day hike, see the festival activities, etc on Sat.
    The pony auction is at another location up the road from the festival on Sat.
    Everyone is on their own for lunch Sat. They sell food at the festival for those wanting to do that.

We will need to gather our Hammock Demo at some point in the late afternoon & head back to camp for supper which will be gumbo by Gumbo (& helpers)!
    Supper will be followed by the raffle, featuring Dutch as the Master of Ceremonies.
    After the raffle we will have opportunity to hear ghost stories by Puddin.

Sun... Sunday morning will be very casual. It always gets gone & people begin to leave way to soon.
    The timing & direction will not work out for every one but I believe some of the group will want to go to the Log Cabin Restaurant for lunch (maybe a late lunch) on Sun.
    Last edited by Pudden; 09-16-2011 at 10:26.

• + New Posts
  • Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast