ENO DBL
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    None yet.
    Suspension
    Switching to Whoop

ThermaRest Haven 20F Top Bag

So I was searching around thermarest website looking at pads and I stumbled onto this new sleep system bag. It looks like it is the same idea as a TQ. After looking at the pictures of it it looks like it is a top quilt with a backing behind the head and shoulder.

Haven 20F Top Bag

Any thoughts?

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    That's not bad. Compared to the Hammock Gear 20F Burrow, they're roughly the same weight, warmth rating, and price. I'd be curious to see its true weight as its filled with 700 fill. With 900+ fill, I love my HG Burrow. It packs small and I hardly notice its weight (I used custom fabrics to cut even more weight).

The only down side I can see would be getting in and out of the Haven. Would you have to slide in through the hood or just go in through the back?

I'm curious if anyone has one.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Interesting. It's defintley more TQ than sleeping bag, but it looks as if you still would need to "climb in" to use it because of the way the hood and upper back are constructed. It's easier than a full on sleeping bag, but not quite a TQ. Big Agnes has sleeping bags with an integrated pad sleeve as well.

That said, it lists at $239, weighs 22 oz/, and uses 10 oz of 700 FP down, so it won't compress as well.

For comparison's sake: Hammock Gear 20 degree burrow

$229, 21 oz., and 12 oz of 900 FP down. Main difference is that it doesn't have a hood, and it's a true TQ. It will be warmer than the Thermarest based off of the fill numbers.

EDIT: FireInMyBones beat me to it, lol.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I keep looking for a deal on one of these, haven't seen a good one yet. Someday......

The videos I have seen demonstrate entering through the back - really easy.

This, to me, looks like the best answer to all of the reservations I have about TQ's, the biggest being it has a hood. Taking that into account, I'm not so sure that a TQ (even though it has more fill) would be warmer.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images

Meh

The only thing that it has that the cottage manufactures don't is a built-in hood.

Maybe that's something for JRB, HammockGear, and all the rest to think about. Personally, I'd rather the hood not be attached, but I could see that feature being a selling point for some.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Search for the long thread on the RAB (Quantum) top-side-only-filled sleeping bag. You'll find several approaches to adaptation for TQ use. That 7-8oz down-fill item was being closed out for $105 delivered CONUS and was somewhat popular here.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    Main difference is that it doesn't have a hood, and it's a true TQ. It will be warmer than the Thermarest based off of the fill numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    ...t has a hood. Taking that into account, I'm not so sure that a TQ (even though it has more fill) would be warmer.
    I like the option of a detatched hood. I was very warm and comfy in my 20F Burrow down to 18F the other night. I used a Blackrock Hat to keep my head warm.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    The only thing that it has that the cottage manufactures don't is a built-in hood.

Maybe that's something for JRB, HammockGear, and all the rest to think about. Personally, I'd rather the hood not be attached, but I could see that feature being a selling point for some.
    I'd like to see that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Search for the long thread on the RAB (Quantum) top-side-only-filled sleeping bag. You'll find several approaches to adaptation for TQ use. That 7-8oz down-fill item was being closed out for $105 delivered CONUS and was somewhat popular here.
    I missed the boat on that deal, and it seems there are none left out there. The newer models of that bag (Neutrino 200 SL//Module 100) are going for about the price as the Haven: ~$250.

Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I like the option of a detatched hood. I was very warm and comfy in my 20F Burrow down to 18F the other night. I used a Blackrock Hat to keep my head warm.
    I'd love the option, but noone offers it. Maybe have to come up with a DIY job.....
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    I'd love the option, but noone offers it. Maybe have to come up with a DIY job.....
    I tossed around the idea of a hooded TQ for my next project. What I came up with was pretty similar to the Thermarest design. You would want it to cover the back of your shoulders to help keep the hood positioned properly on your noggin as you move during the night. I could see myself moving my leg at night, and suddenly kinking my head to one side or the other. If you built in some "shoulder pads", it would help with this issue, as well as keep your shoulder a little bit warmer without having to stuff the quilt around you as much.

Then I kind of figured I was over-thinking it, and nixed the idea. I'll just wear a hat or beanie to sleep in, and use a down pillow to keep my neck warm.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I have a couple of primitive designs I'm kicking around, but haven't prototyped them yet to see if they are actually feasible. If those fail, I'll probably end up doing a standard TQ and go with the hat/pillow combo, but it wouldn't be my preferred choice. If only I had a bit more free time!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast