Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Okay everyone, I have narrowed my selections down to two. The Kammok, which still has my favor due to those great Python straps included with the hammock, and the Eno DoubleNest which has a lot of support on these forums. I'm planning to spring the question to The Mom (dun dun daa) tonight so if I could get some good feedback today I could possibly take to the trees soon. Thanks again to everyone who bothers to check my lowly little thread

Will

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I have a Kammock and i do like the python straps and i did sleep well in it. I have not owned or slept in an ENO, but MANY MANY people have with great results.

I would also compare the weights of both of them if you are backpacking. My Kammock is heavier than my other hammocks, but there are times where i like the ease of set-up.

I'm going to stop here because this post could get very long if i keep going. YIS The RidgeRunner
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoop Soup View Post
    Okay everyone, I have narrowed my selections down to two. The Kammok, which still has my favor due to those great Python straps included with the hammock, and the Eno DoubleNest which has a lot of support on these forums. I'm planning to spring the question to The Mom (dun dun daa) tonight so if I could get some good feedback today I could possibly take to the trees soon. Thanks again to everyone who bothers to check my lowly little thread

Will
    I started hammock camping in the last several months. I initially bought some cheapo ones, but ended up settling on a Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe. At $180 (on Amazon) it isn't cheap, but I've found that in my every weekend use that it seems like a piece of gear that will really hold up and last. It has integrated bug netting, but I would def do the zip model. The netting will unzip and it transforms into a chair or a lounger quite easily. I do a lot of backpacking and a lot of car-camping and I've found its very versatile as well.

My 2¢: if you go cheap, it'll turn out to be more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post
    I started hammock camping in the last several months. I initially bought some cheapo ones, but ended up settling on a Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe. At $180 (on Amazon) it isn't cheap, but I've found that in my every weekend use that it seems like a piece of gear that will really hold up and last. It has integrated bug netting, but I would def do the zip model. The netting will unzip and it transforms into a chair or a lounger quite easily. I do a lot of backpacking and a lot of car-camping and I've found its very versatile as well.

My 2¢: if you go cheap, it'll turn out to be more expensive.
    I'm not planning for going for something cheap (I don't think, is 100$ cheap for hammocks? ) but I don't have the funds now to stretch up to a 180$ model. If I ever consider upgrading I'll keep this one in mind.
    I talked to a good friend who I just today discovered was a hammock fan as well. He has the Eno DoubleNest which he gave a glowing review which is what put it on my list. The reason I am still rooting for the Kammok is that it has many many good reviews, but also I really like the company itself. http://tinyurl.com/a63kfen (Kammok) and http://tinyurl.com/avgrcde (ENO DoubleNest + Atlas Strap Bundle) both have the same price so its just up to the input you guys give me.
    Thanks for posting!

Will

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Given your updated criteria, if I were going netless, which it appears you are from your current selections, I would look strongly at the offerings form Warbonnet Outdoors. They are not the lightest out there, but Brandon makes bomb-proof gear favored by many veteran hangers.

The gathered-end Traveler model is similar in style to the eno or kammock. He also has a Ridge Runner netless bridge hammock with spreader bars at the ends that provides a flatter lay and better views than the gathered-ends for a bit more money.

Speaking on money you should probably start saving for an Underquilt ASAP. You can get by with a pad for bottom insulation, but in my opinion, hammocks really shine when paired with conforming insulation.

I used the Warbonnet Blackbird (netted Traveler) and Yeti UQ on my Northern Tier trip this past summer and it worked great!

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have an ENO SN and a DN. The SN was the first hammock that I every used. Bought the DN on sale and after trying a DIY. I still have both ENOs, and really don't want to part with them. Love the material that they are made from. I can't speak for the other hammock, as I have never used one......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

I've been lurking around Youtube and found Equipt2Endure (Great channel) and his Eno review were pretty nice. Along with some other findings, and lots of input from this thread and others, I'm going with the ATC Hammock Combo that Eagle Outfitters has offered. The DoubleNest is the Eno that my friend I had mentioned has and the Atlas straps with them is good. It isn't much of a bundle because I think it costs the same as DoubleNest + Atlas Straps without the bundle, but it supports the Appalachian Trail Conservation. Is this a good choice for what I'm going to be using it for (Mostly backpacking, car camp, backyard reading/lounging)? Thanks to everyone for responding.

Will

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoop Soup View Post
    I've been lurking around Youtube and found Equipt2Endure (Great channel) and his Eno review were pretty nice. Along with some other findings, and lots of input from this thread and others, I'm going with the ATC Hammock Combo that Eagle Outfitters has offered. The DoubleNest is the Eno that my friend I had mentioned has and the Atlas straps with them is good. It isn't much of a bundle because I think it costs the same as DoubleNest + Atlas Straps without the bundle, but it supports the Appalachian Trail Conservation. Is this a good choice for what I'm going to be using it for (Mostly backpacking, car camp, backyard reading/lounging)? Thanks to everyone for responding.

Will
    ENO is a typical noob selection, as is a Kammok. In my opinion, you could do a lot better. I know you want to get hanging, but research a bit more. The ENO is too short; the Kammok too heavy - and both have less than desirable suspensions which you will inevitably upgrade (hidden cost).

Buttinasling, a well-respected cottage vendor, has a February special of $28 for their campus lounger. Add straps, toggles and whoopies for $25 more, and you have a hammock/suspension system for just $53 (excluding shipping, I assume). If you're gonna use a pad for insulation (and you will need insulation), add a double layer for $28 more, and you're still cheaper ($81) than the ENO ATC Hammock combo ($95) or the Kammock and Atlas straps ($120+).

Here's a comparison of hammocks only, exclusive of suspension:

ENO DoubleNest 101" long x 72" wide, 400 lb. capacity, 18.5 oz weight

Kammok Roo, 124" long x 71" wide, 500 lb. capacity, 22.5 oz weight

Buttinasling Campus Lounger, 132" long x 55" wide, 200 lbs. capacity (350 lbs for double layer), 9 oz. weight (17 oz. for double layer)

I'm just mentioning one cottage vendor with a superior product to what you're considering - superior in price, weight and length (very important component in comfort). There's also dreamhammock, Warbonnet Traveler, and several others I would choose over a Kammok or ENO Doublenest, both of which will doubtless become loaner hammocks that you never personally use in short order.

My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Zip. I paid $149.95 for hammock, tarp & suspension. It hasn't been on a trip in over a year, and probably never will see my butt in it again. It got me hanging tout de suite, but I wish I hadn't been in a rush - I could have used that money for a wiser purchase.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Check out dejoha's hammock comparison charts for more info:

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/h...ng-a-la-carte/

There's more than just hammocks there too.

Hammock
    BIAS WW w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    WS/TH
    Definitely consider the cottage vendors. I have a BIAS and I love it. I'm considering another BIAS so my girlfriend can hang with me

In addition to the comparison at dejoha's site, check out our vendor forums. They have a lot of reviews and you'll see that the customer service can't be beat!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast