Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Miodified GrandTrunk Skeeter Beeter

Lightbulb question about a PLUQ

I'm new to the site and somewhat new to Hammocking. I got sucked into the vortex a little over a year ago while just batting around the idea of making a hammock of my own one day and looking up info on it. I haven't been tent camping since. I ended up just buying 2 one that I carry everywhere I go (Kayaking, Fishing, Biking, Hiking, and just to the Park) I decided I'd just make one myself later.
    Well that day has arrived I just purchased materials to make my first and can't wait. I'm also saving up to buy materials for my first down quilt but I need something in the meantime. Ive just been making due with a wool blanket car sun reflector and a thermal space tarp underneath, but I want something mire reliable.
    I just saw some threads on UQs made of poncho liners. I'm quite intrigued by them and am considering making one as a summer UQ. Especially seeing as how I wouldn't be able to use a down one if I made it right now for a few months. It's still in the 90s at night in Texas.

My main question I was wondering if anyone had any experience with adding any kind of extra insulation to a PLUQ, or some type of heat reflective material? I have been thinking of using my Space Tarp on the inside of the PLUQ and was wanting some feedback on the idea.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Insultex is the norm for adding into the folded part of the PL, but you can use anything from leaves (if its a no sew) to a space blanket. I have used a PL inside of my no sew and was good to around 28* with a little extra help from a fleece blanket over my hammock ridgeline as an overcover.

I have used no sew and sewn varieties. For looks go sewn with IX, for versatility go no sew and stuff it when you need to. Just my opinion... good luck and have fun. I love my PLUQ and will hate to buy a down one someday, but its bound to happen and i will always keep my PL for those warm seasons.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I've used a single layer of InsulFleece (also known as InsulBright) by Pellon, sewn into my PLUQ, down as low as 25 F comfortably, and as low as 21 F survivably (I was cold that night, but I'm still here to talk about it).

It's pretty cheap (about the same as IX), heavier, and bulkier. However, it's not as...finicky about air gaps as IX is.

If you've got any specific questions about the material, I'd be happy to help!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I've used a single layer of InsulFleece (also known as InsulBright) by Pellon, sewn into my PLUQ, down as low as 25 F comfortably, and as low as 21 F survivably (I was cold that night, but I'm still here to talk about it).

It's pretty cheap (about the same as IX), heavier, and bulkier. However, it's not as...finicky about air gaps as IX is.

If you've got any specific questions about the material, I'd be happy to help!
    Where might one buy a yard of that new-fangled insulfleece? I may be able to keep my pluq in winterish weather (if I ever see winter again)...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    eno dblnest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/usmss
    Suspension
    tree staps/whoopie
    if you have a fabric store near you i'd look there first for insul bright, or you can order it online. i got mine at a local joann fabrics

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Where might one buy a yard of that new-fangled insulfleece? I may be able to keep my pluq in winterish weather (if I ever see winter again)...
    Both my local WallyWorld (the one with the fabric department) and JoAnn Fabrics carry it. It's also available online through JoAnn, both by the roll and by the yard. (I know those are both different-titled products, but they both have the same hand, weight, and seeming resistance to the breath test; I used the Insul-Fleece rather than the Insul-Bright, because that was what was at my local WallyWorld, but I'd wager they both perform within a couple of degrees of each other.)

Note that I'm also a very warm sleeper; for most folks, I figure a layer of InsulFleece would get them down to about freezing, maybe a few degrees below, comfortably. Survivably, down into the mid-twenties.

Hope it helps!
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Miodified GrandTrunk Skeeter Beeter
    Those are some great suggestions. I was about to go to JoAnn's today in any case now I have another thing to check out.

Hammock
    DIY Marpat w/ quad Knotties
    Tarp
    Etowah
    Insulation
    PLUQ, OT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    + whatever on the Insul Bright.

Not the lightest option, but works great and is inexpensive. I found some at a local fabric shop, got some remnants, enough for four UQ's for 7.50.
    "The essential psychological requirement of a free society is the willingness on the part of the individual to accept responsibility for his life." ~ Edith Packer

Mountain Forge
    Self Defense - Emergency Care - Outdoor Skills
    Empowering You To Explore The Wild, Beautiful World

www.mountainforge.org

CAMP FIRE ! A 3 Day Backcountry Experience Dedicated to Empowerment and Self Reliance. http://www.mountainforge.org/workshops.html

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Thinkn I might have to get some now. I'm gonna look into this, thanks flrider for another good idea...peace

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Thinkn I might have to get some now. I'm gonna look into this, thanks flrider for another good idea...peace
    Not a problem. It's not the lightest solution, and it's definitely bulky, but it works well for the price. Hope you enjoy!
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast