Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    If I were you, I'd get a hold of Brandon first.

When I biffed my tarp a couple years ago, I emailed Brandon. He recommended using a scrap piece of material for a patch and use GE Silicone II silicone caulk for the adhesive.

At the 3:00 minute mark of this video you will see my two patches on my old BMJ tarp.

Here's a thread on my fix for my down booties that ended up with a hole in them. I used the same method as the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    Any idea about how to repair the tarp. Maybe some silnylon glued on with SilNet seam sealer? Or maybe just SilNet on its own?
    Blaze, Sorry to hear about the defect. It definitely looks like a stapler made those holes. Since the holes are very small, you might be able to just use the SilNet. If it were me, here's what I would do. Place tape around the holes to prevent the silicone from making a mess, leaving an area about 15mm x 25mm around the holes. Mask the opposite side of the tarp behind the holes to prevent the silicone from coming all the way thru. Then use a credit card to spread a very thin layer of seam sealer over the holes.

If this method doesn't work, you could patch it with a small piece of silnylon glued on in the same way I attach side panel pullouts on my tarps. You can see my method here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25782

There's no excuse for poor workmanship, but those holes could have happened at the factory or elsewhere before Brandon received the material. Having made several tarps for myself, those holes would have been very hard to detect before the tarp was completed.

Concerning the pitch of your tarp...running the ridgeline under the tarp would help with a tighter pitch. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.
    DM

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Sorry to see this Blaze. Definitely contact Brandon to discuss things. He should know the best way to patch it ,,,,,AND i think you should get a new tarp free of charge.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    As usual, another great video Blaze!

As I watched it, I recalled reading a recent thread asking how to get a backpacker's weight down to 6 pounds or about 3 kilos. They didn't seem to think it was possible. They need to watch your video! You haven't sacrificed any comfort or safety; your selected all quality gear and you simply left all the junk at home!

I've made a tarp without a sewn ridgeline and they fly differently than one with a sewn ridgeline. By sewing the ridgeline, there is opportunity to use catenary cuts which look very nice, but my tarp kept the rain off me just the same.

I hope you get your other issues resolved. I understand your frustration.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for your responces guys.
    Yes it is most properly stapel holes, as some of you have pointed out. I will protect the tarp with tape and then spread some SilNet over the holes. That should do the trick. If not, I will glue a patch of silnylon with some SilNet over the holes.
    And in the future I will set the tarp flying over the ridge line.
    Thanks for your help,
    Blaze

PS: With 0.0000000000000001 gram of SilNet added the tarp, it will be like new (though with a little patina), so no need for any action on the part of Brandon. Though if he makes a Asym-Diamond tarp with a sown in ridge, like on his other tarps, that flyes like a pice of art, I might buy it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I'd get another one sent over Blaze, defective goods should at least be at a discount.

I think I'd have sent it back from the UK if it was me

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Always enjoy to watch Blaze and big thanks for using the superior Vimeo!
    A clue you may or may not embrace.
    You know where the whoopie splits....you can run the ridgleline from your tarp between the whoopies-then your tarp wont be on the left or the right but in the middle, and you wont have tarp rubbing on the woopie

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    Kenyon- Klear K tape for tarps and tents! This stuff works Great! Super thin and works for years & years. Cut it in small circle patchs. I have used this on my boat cover & burn holes on my down jackets. I always carry some in my backpack for my tarp. I hope this helps!
    In the beginning, God created wilderness..and it was good. Lamar Marshall- Bankhead Warrior
    Getting old is not for sissies! My mother in law Opal!
    It's me It's me It's Mr.T

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Once again, thanks for your help guys. I have some Tear-Aid in the mail to bring along on the trail since holes might develop in the future, while hanging under a tree with lose branches. The two small holes in the WB Asym-Diamond tarp will be fixed with SilNet and maybe a little piece of silnylon.
    I was out to day and tried setting up the tarp with the ridge line under it. Here is how it went.

Video on Vimeo:

Same video on YouTube:

Best,
    Blaze

PS: Good one MedicineMan. I will try that trick with the ridge line and whoopies.
    Last edited by BlazeAway; 01-23-2012 at 17:56.

Images
    not sure where the holes came from but we don't use a stapler in the production process or in shipping either

first thing i would try would be to lick your finger and rub the holes vigorously in 4 different directions and see if you can get the weave to close back up, silnylon is self healing in that regard, if they don't disappear altogether they should get alot smaller.

the hammock fabric should be fine, that will happen to hammock fabric sometimes, (could have been caused by a button or something hard under you pressing into the fabric and snagging a little), most well-used lightweight hammocks have spots like that but it shouldn't cause you any problems

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast