Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I'm not sure how they test it, but I assume you're correct. Like if it got spun around during climbing or something, maybe? Or maybe it's just a liability thing since people are risking their lives with the gear...never know how many idiots are out there using things in ways they weren't designed for! (Like hammockers )
    yep... i've seen some amussing stuff<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I'm not sure how they test it, but I assume you're correct. Like if it got spun around during climbing or something, maybe? Or maybe it's just a liability thing since people are risking their lives with the gear...never know how many idiots are out there using things in ways they weren't designed for! (Like hammockers )
    I called REI to ask them about the rating of their rings. I was basically told "I don't know" and he would only quote what was on their website. When I told him that I was using it for something it wasn't intended for he really wanted to cover himself. I told him the worst that cold happen is I fall 3 feet or so.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

HE what type of rings are you using from REI? And if it is a rapel ring, which is essentially just a metal ring, looking like this:

http://www.omegapac.com/op_climbing_rings.html.

These will hold 20 kN of force, in a linear direction. Most climbing equipment is designed to be loaded in a linear orientation. The forces pulling in opposite directions, puting the gear in tension.

Edited to add:

I carry these as an all purpose biner, while backpacking, whether it be to hang my bear bag with, or to clip stuff to my pack/tent/hammock. They weigh 1 oz/biner, and have a breaking strength of 22kN across the long axis, with the gate closed.

http://www.camp-usa.com/module/produ...ail.asp?ID=127

They are not much larger than a Non-Climbing Keychain Biner
    Last edited by gearhound; 02-07-2007 at 15:59.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest &amp; DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhound View Post
    HE what type of rings are you using from REI? And if it is a rapel ring, which is essentially just a metal ring, looking like this:

These will hold 20 kN of force, in a linear direction. Most climbing equipment is designed to be loaded in a linear orientation. The forces pulling in opposite directions, puting the gear in tension.
    How do you tell what the linear direction of a circle is?
    Never mind...just kidding.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhound View Post

Edited to add:

I carry these as an all purpose biner, while backpacking, whether it be to hang my bear bag with, or to clip stuff to my pack/tent/hammock. They weigh 1 oz/biner, and have a breaking strength of 22kN across the long axis, with the gate closed.

http://www.camp-usa.com/module/produ...ail.asp?ID=127

They are not much larger than a Non-Climbing Keychain Biner
    Thanks. By linear direction I think you mean pulling on 2 sides 180 degrees apart. I will be doing that with mine.

I ordered one from Mountain Gear. I will be using it to feed the straps through. They are only going to see 1200-1600 at the absolute max. I think any higher than that, I will start having other things break.

I am still waiting on them to come. I'll post pics when I am done.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Thanks. By linear direction I think you mean pulling on 2 sides 180 degrees apart. I will be doing that with mine.

I ordered one from Mountain Gear. I will be using it to feed the straps through. They are only going to see 1200-1600 at the absolute max. I think any higher than that, I will start having other things break.

I am still waiting on them to come. I'll post pics when I am done.
    How would you implement a ring in a NON-linear manner on a suspension? Or on any other two-directional weight-bearing application for that matter? I'm just curious...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    How would you implement a ring in a NON-linear manner on a suspension? Or on any other two-directional weight-bearing application for that matter? I'm just curious...
    With a 2 directional it would have to be some sort of fixed support like a metal rod.

I could see it on a hammock in 3 directions. 1 to the ring from the tree, 1 for the ridgeline, and 1 going down to the hammock. I would not use it like that because I just think it would be extra weight.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    With a 2 directional it would have to be some sort of fixed support like a metal rod.

I could see it on a hammock in 3 directions. 1 to the ring from the tree, 1 for the ridgeline, and 1 going down to the hammock. I would not use it like that because I just think it would be extra weight.
    The ~750 lbs. of tension we all use a guide for support materials strength is calculated without a ridgeline - which means that the ridgeline tension is already built in. Shouldn't be a problem. I attach my ridgeline to the knot just below my CC buckle (where the rings would go) anyway though, so no issue here.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    The ~750 lbs. of tension we all use a guide for support materials strength is calculated without a ridgeline - which means that the ridgeline tension is already built in. Shouldn't be a problem. I attach my ridgeline to the knot just below my CC buckle (where the rings would go) anyway though, so no issue here.
    I guess my problem was that I have been doing to much civil engineering stuff on bridges. My built in safey factor was 1200 lbs. They usually have a factor of about 10 or so built in. I guess I'm not too bad yet at close to double everyone else.

The engineer in me can't help from doing some things.

Funny side story. I bought some nylon taffeta at Walmart today. Nice plum and red colors. In talking with the fabric lady she thought there was no way this would hold you up. She didn't think regular nylon would. This stuff doesn't look any thinner than the last stuff I used. I guess my safty factor is only on certain things.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I guess my problem was that I have been doing to much civil engineering stuff on bridges. My built in safey factor was 1200 lbs. They usually have a factor of about 10 or so built in. I guess I'm not too bad yet at close to double everyone else.

The engineer in me can't help from doing some things.
    Better safe than sorry. But I also know that hardware, especially that intended for climbing use, is generally under-rated as far as strength. You can bet that the guys who test and rate that equipment leave an even larger margin for error than you're talking about - people rely on that stuff for their lives.

Funny side story. I bought some nylon taffeta at Walmart today. Nice plum and red colors. In talking with the fabric lady she thought there was no way this would hold you up. She didn't think regular nylon would. This stuff doesn't look any thinner than the last stuff I used. I guess my safty factor is only on certain things.
    And we all know that Walmart fabric ladies are the depository of all engineering knowledge...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast