Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Suggestions for tarp shape with limited material

So I dropped by Hancock Fabrics tonight after running a few errands. Admittedly it had been a while as I had stocked up on fabric pretty heavy earlier in the year. When I got in I noticed the camo fabric had moved and once I finally located it I found it in the value fabric section. I picked up just over 3.75 yards of a desert camo colored material that looked like the cross between polyester and a shower curtain. Not too thick, I'll try to weigh it tonight and update this post with figures. So I'm looking for suggestions for a shape of tarp that I can make with 11' 3" of 60" material. I'd like to not have a seam on my ridgeline if possible, but I'm looking to get the most out of this material so any suggestions will be considered. Pictures are helpful as I am a visual learner.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

asym tarp?

I used to have a Hennessy Asym tarp. It seems to be about what you are looking for design wise. Its to late for me to play with mesurements but here is kinda how hennessy makes their tarps if i remember right. This would allow you t gain the most usable coverage with the smallish amount of fabric that you have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Bump.....

Thanks PackEagle, I'll have to do some research on that tarp. Any other ideas anyone?

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Some interesting info in this thread. HTH
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It's too short to cut so you are stuck with the basic ridge down the middle hung close to the hammock. You have an asymmetric lay so it is probably worth moving the ridge off center to accommodate it. Move the head end one way, foot the other. I'd grab a couple of tarp clamps and play around before I did any cutting or sewing. Next best is some marble size stones gathered into the material and a larks head on the tie out line. YMMV.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    I'd like to see a circle tarp for once.

But if you short on material what about cutting on a diagonal, flipping one 180 and sewing it up?
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Here is a tutorial that may help spark some ideas.
    http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...m/tutorial.php

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Nice Responses

Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    Some interesting info in this thread. HTH
    I remember this thread and I'm glad you brought it back to my attention. With just over 11' of material I don't think I have enough to use these instructions, but it did get the creative juices flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    It's too short to cut so you are stuck with the basic ridge down the middle hung close to the hammock. You have an asymmetric lay so it is probably worth moving the ridge off center to accommodate it. Move the head end one way, foot the other. I'd grab a couple of tarp clamps and play around before I did any cutting or sewing. Next best is some marble size stones gathered into the material and a larks head on the tie out line. YMMV.
    This is great advice; test before cutting. I thought about using a rectangle on an angle but I'm afraid that I won't get the coverage I need living in the SE. Of course we've been really dry the last few years, but when it rains...

Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    I'd like to see a circle tarp for once.

But if you short on material what about cutting on a diagonal, flipping one 180 and sewing it up?
    I'll blame it on it being late last night but this is the most obvious option, I can't believe I didn't think of it before. For some reason I was thinking I was going to have to flip one side over and I knew that wouldn't look right but I just need to rotate one of the pieces for it to work. Right now this is the leading candidate. I have some housewrap that I'm thinking about using to see if a tarp in that shape will provide enough coverage before I cut.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Here is a tutorial that may help spark some ideas.
    http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...m/tutorial.php
    A wealth of knowledge PS and I appreciate it. I've been a fan of your work for a while. I know you use tulle for bug netting, have you ever used it for quilt baffle material?

So I weighed the material last night and it came to 24.65 oz. I haven't measured the material myself so it could be a little longer than I previously mentioned. I didn't notice if the guy, that's right I said guy, at Hancocks gave me much of an allowance on his measurements. He put it at 3 yds 27". By my calculations, that works out to be about 3.944 oz per sq yd. Not super light but less than my 12' x 12' GG tarp and only cost about $8 with tax.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoseley7 View Post
    I know you use tulle for bug netting, have you ever used it for quilt baffle material?
    I've never used Tulle for that purpose, because I think it might be too fragile. Others may have used it successfully though.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Personally for me that's not enough material to make a tarp with. You'd get the top, 11 foot ridgeline but the sides are just not there. Is there anyway you can find another piece of waterproof material that's the same 11foot length?? Then you could cut that in half and add it to each side of your desert camo fabric. You'd even have enough on the sides to add cat cuts.

Anyways, it's just a thought.... and just about the only one I've had in a while!!

TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast