Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

Smokeeater908 Pot Gets Smoked In Burnt Valley

So its Friday afternoon; ring, ring "hello." "Hey you want to do a winter overnighter?" "Sure, Will I need to bring my white gas stove to melt snow, or can I get away with just bringing my usual ESBIT stove?" "Oh, no, we'll be fine, we'll hang near a creak, there's creeks that run all up and down the area." "K, sounds great see you Sunday."

And so the saga begins.

My buddy and I get to Burnt Valley (Colville Wa area) around noon on Sunday, and head down the trail

We hike a couple hours and find a nice spot next to a half frozen creek, but decide we could hike a little bit more, and get closer to the top of the ridge for some better views.

We set up or hammocks.

****Notice the slope angle of the ground....Look at the height of the tree strap on the foot of my hammock to my pack VS the strap height of my Head I was on a pretty good slope. I could have turned it in a different direction and strapped out on a different tree...but I wanted to see if I could do it this way, just cuz.

Foot

Head

My buddy all tucked in.

I take a few sunset shots, and then help gather wood for a fire that evening.

We settle in and start to make dinner. "Hey man" says I, "we didn't set up up next to a water source, and I know I don't have enough ESBIT to melt the amount of water I will need. "Ya, my mistake, I should have told ya to bring the whipser light it just in case, or I should have brought mine. We'll have to use the fire to melt the snow.

Now aside from the water tasting like smoke this is usually not a problem for either of us in the winter time, because we will have the whisper light and the grease pot to melt the snow in. But all I brought along was my newly made 16oz DIY Smokeeater908 Pot
    and my homemade ESBIT stove that fits it perfectly to cook with (Instead of my trusted BPL 550 pot and Ti wing stove.)

So I had to melt snow using the 908 and the fire...it took 4 hours to melt enough snow to fill my 3 liter platty, and my 1 litter bottle. My friend had brought his SIG 1 liter bottle so he was able to melt in larger volumes, but it still took about the same time...he melted the same amount of water.

It was no biggy really, I mean what else are you going to do when it gets dark at 4pm, but poke sticks in the fire and talk till its time to go to bed. But boy oh boy did the Smokeeater908 pot get smoked, the walls thinned out and warped, the fiberglass caught on fire a few times, etc, etc. But what do you expect, I'm using a dinky aluminum can to melt snow, and boil water, in a fire. And it takes a lot of snow to even make 16 oz of liquid.

(this picture was taken the next morning, but I am using to illustrate...I was keeping my coffee warm )

Around 1030 ish we decide to call it a night and head to bed. It only got down to about 20 that night and I was nice and warm in my HMG 20F Incubator and my JRB 0F Old Rag Mountain.

In the morning I had breakfast in bed. We be bopped around a bit and then broke camp and hiked out

All in all, it was a great primer for some of our larger/longer hikes coming up this winter. And was a great reminder that if its winter, bring the extra equipment that will ensure your safe, warm, and happy.

Sad to say I did have to retire the 908 pot and make a new one. Good thing I can just pop out the ring and re-use it...but that was Smokeeater's idea in the first place. Ideally I could re-use the wick as well..but it would look pretty weird on my new pot...I polished this one, along with doing a few other things different...but that is fore a different post at a different time.

I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Looks cold, I'm glad I live in Florida, no snow. Not rubbing it in or anything like that. lol. But of course we dont have the beautiful mountains either.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    IMO The winter is some of the best times to go hiking...no people, no bugs, and you don't have to walk far to feel like your are far.

With the right gear it is very doable and fun...YMMV.

I save the summer for my big epic hikes...those are fun too.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Put a nice patina on the pot!
    Looks mighty fine out there....just cuz!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    MadCat Deluxe/ DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Hdson/Incubatr
    Suspension
    DynaGlide Whoopies
    Images
    Wow my OCD would definitely kicked in with that pot LOL! Good thing you can just pull out the ring and put it in another pot

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ- MacCat
    Insulation
    Leighlo, JRB MT 4
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    IMO The winter is some of the best times to go hiking...no people, no bugs, and you don't have to walk far to feel like your are far.
    I argree I love winter hiking. Nice pics Mugs

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Looks like you had a nice trip. I enjoyed your pictures. As soon as work slows down a little I want to get out again in the snow.

Keith

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like you had a good trip and learned a lot too. Thanks for sharing.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    sloped ground.jpg

HAHAHAHA!!! Welcome to hammock camping--Yancey County style!!! There is NO flat ground here, my friend. Seems like you managed just fine! P.S. I LVE Colville and the surrounding area!!! I had a friend offer his land outside of Colville for camping when we were backpacking across country from CA to NC. When we arrived at his land, the National Guard was set up with a motor boat, lights and a generator ferrying people across the river, which had flooded the road. The generator was RIGHT NEXT to my friend's land! Needless to say, we found someplace else to camp!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post

With the right gear it is very doable and fun...YMMV.

I save the summer for my big epic hikes...those are fun too.
    I'll have to try it one day. It does drop to the 20 & 30 here in Florida. We just don't get the snow nor do we have the great elevation changes you have. one day, maybe one day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast