Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    I was going to say that looks nice and big, but I suppose there's a downside to it being big.

I was wondering if your pattern was a straight rectangle or did you radius the ends or chamfer them to tighten the sides up? The sides seemed loose, but I don't know if that's a bad thing or not.
    "Dyslexic knot unravellers of the world, UNITE!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gra_factor View Post
    I was going to say that looks nice and big, but I suppose there's a downside to it being big.

I was wondering if your pattern was a straight rectangle or did you radius the ends or chamfer them to tighten the sides up? The sides seemed loose, but I don't know if that's a bad thing or not.
    It's a plain rectangle.... The sides are loose, but it doesn't bother me. I am sort of thinking of adding a drawstring to the head and foot end to gather the fabric and create a foot/head box like the Wilderness logics night owl hammock.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nice vid, hikingdad. I look forward to seeing more. HF member videos are my favorite thing about this forum. All the written words and photos don't tell you half as much as a video does about the hanger and his hang.

There is an irrational exuberance about DIY that hasn't taken hold of me fully. I won't make my own stuff unless I can save big bucks, or it's a simple project. And I always factor in, not just the cost of the materials, but the cost of MY time and labor. I try to pay myself at least $10 an hour on DIY projects, though I'm worth more. A lot of times, it doesn't make sense for me to DIY.

Hammocks seem worthy of the DIY effort, as do whoopie slings. However, I don't think I'll be making my own tree straps anytime soon!

Oh, and is hikingdad your trail name? If so, I think we need to get you a new trail name. Hikingdad just doesn't roll off the tongue real well. Don't go on a group hike with me - 'cause I'll be eyeing you the whole time trying to find you a new trail name!

In fact, since you fell in a puddle on the trail, I suggest you call yourself Puddlejumper, or maybe 50inchverticalleap. Just brainstorming here.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Nice vid, hikingdad. I look forward to seeing more. HF member videos are my favorite thing about this forum. All the written words and photos don't tell you half as much as a video does about the hanger and his hang.

There is an irrational exuberance about DIY that hasn't taken hold of me fully. I won't make my own stuff unless I can save big bucks, or it's a simple project. And I always factor in, not just the cost of the materials, but the cost of MY time and labor. I try to pay myself at least $10 an hour on DIY projects, though I'm worth more. A lot of times, it doesn't make sense for me to DIY.

Hammocks seem worthy of the DIY effort, as do whoopie slings. However, I don't think I'll be making my own tree straps anytime soon!

Oh, and is hikingdad your trail name? If so, I think we need to get you a new trail name. Hikingdad just doesn't roll off the tongue real well. Don't go on a group hike with me - 'cause I'll be eyeing you the whole time trying to find you a new trail name!

In fact, since you fell in a puddle on the trail, I suggest you call yourself Puddlejumper, or maybe 50inchverticalleap. Just brainstorming here.
    To be honest I just picked it when signing up...didn't realize it would be used that way...but now after a couple of group hangs and everyone telling me my name is lame (and I agree) I think I do need another name....but I'm totally at a loss for what it should be! I liked fronkey's idea for a name....he said he wished he would have picked captain awesome
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    To be honest I just picked it when signing up...didn't realize it would be used that way...but now after a couple of group hangs and everyone telling me my name is lame (and I agree) I think I do need another name....but I'm totally at a loss for what it should be! I liked fronkey's idea for a name....he said he wished he would have picked captain awesome
    Your trail name will probably pick you. When I first signed up for HF, I used fubba28, but I didn't realize they wanted a TRAIL name. I got mine backpacking in Europe. One night at a campfire on a beach in Corfu, Greece, somebody said I looked like the Silver Surfer. I spent six years hiking around Europe and I never heard my real name again. In fact, my trail buddies even addressed correspondence to me as Silver Surfer.

My favorite trail name is Pete the Feet. I've met a couple of them in my time, but the one I knew hiked barefoot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123