Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

entry cuts under leg, causes cramps

I may be too big for my Hennessy Expedition... even though I fit in it just fine. I'm 6' tall, 230 lbs. Mrs. Hennessy told me to get an Expedition because of my stout size.

Problem is, it is difficult to set it up so that the velcro closure of the hammock opening doesn't cut under my left leg. Feels like a rope has been drawn tight under my calf, and sometimes causes cramps.

I've tried pulling the asym strings out real tight; tried very tight ridge line, and somewhat sagging ridge line; tried sliding up toward the head, sliding down toward the foot. Up toward the head works best, but I can't go very far, and I end up sliding back down. Can't get away from that hard edge of the opening.

I have the weather shield installed... foam and shell works well, no problems keeping warm down to 35 degF. I have not used it without the shield.

Could the hammock be out of shape from the shell?

Or, am I just too big for a Hennessy?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Off center hang to reduce the footward slide.

In the HH ULBP by AM I was always ending up more towards the foot end. Based on some graphs posted by Youngblood regarding where you center of mass ends up I started repositioning the hammock to an off center hang. More suspension at the head end. The effect is when weighted by you body your center of mass gets biased towards the head end. A slack ridge line when rigging and a slightly more diagonal lay seemed to compensate for a slightly less flat lay.

Personally I find the HH ULBP to have limited comfortable sleeping positions. But in the "right" position it provides for me a high degree of comfort. The HH ULBP is what convinced me that ground dwelling is something to avoid. I'm not a roller/churner so the limited comfort position is not an issue for me.

Side Note: If you cannot find comfort in a HH consider the WarbonnetOutfitters Blackbird. IMHO & limited experience the Blackbird is the better hammock regarding comfort, space, rigging, versatility, Made in USA.
    Last edited by koaloha05; 11-20-2008 at 19:01.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Some folks find it helpful to place something under their knees when in the Hennessy. Just a slight bend in the knee supported by a roll of clothing or pillow is all it may take.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I may be too big for my Hennessy Expedition... even though I fit in it just fine. I'm 6' tall, 230 lbs. Mrs. Hennessy told me to get an Expedition because of my stout size.

Problem is, it is difficult to set it up so that the velcro closure of the hammock opening doesn't cut under my left leg. Feels like a rope has been drawn tight under my calf, and sometimes causes cramps.

I've tried pulling the asym strings out real tight; tried very tight ridge line, and somewhat sagging ridge line; tried sliding up toward the head, sliding down toward the foot. Up toward the head works best, but I can't go very far, and I end up sliding back down. Can't get away from that hard edge of the opening.

I have the weather shield installed... foam and shell works well, no problems keeping warm down to 35 degF. I have not used it without the shield.

Could the hammock be out of shape from the shell?

Or, am I just too big for a Hennessy?
    I don't think it is your size, though I think you might like an Explorer size better(longer). I have this same problem, to a more or less degree, in every hammock I have tried so far except the JRB BMBH. I think it is inherent in all gathered end hammocks. I get it in my Speer 8.5, Claytor No Net ( 10 feet long) and my HH UL Explorer. Sometimes it seems to be worse than other times, I'm not sure what the variable is. Honestly, I think it is on average less of a problem with my HH than the others except BMBH, where it is about zero problem.

Mostly, I can get around it. I usually find a way to negate the problem, whether by crossing my legs or making my legs into a "figure 4" with my left foot tucked under my right leg, side sleeping, something big and fluffy onder my knees/calf or various other tricks resulting in comfort. But sometimes it is just a royal PIA.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I totally agree with BillyBob58 on this.

I have the same problem on both my ULBA and Safari hammocks. It is less noticeable in the Safari, but still there. As BB58 pointed out I think it is inherent in gathered end hammocks and probably due to the "pleats" created by gathering the ends. The bottom entry on the HH style makes the problem more noticeable for 2 reasons:
    1. velcro on opening edge of entry which gives the edge a harder feel, and
    2. placement of opening due to folding technique needed for bottom entry

The problem is non-existent in a Bridge Hammock since there are no "pleats" , the whole expanse of the hammock is totally smooth and without pleats or wrinkles that could cause such a problem

Images
    the easiest solution is to fill a large stuffsac w/extra clothes and put it under your knees.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

inherent in gathered end hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ...sometimes it is just a royal PIA.
    I think you've described the problem, and all the solutions I've used, perfectly.

Although it is a royal PITA, it doesn't keep me from hangin'. I might try a 9 footer... before I decide if I should buy one.

I have thought about adding a third tie-out, to pull the entrance away from the asym portion where I lie.

Thanks!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

its not limited to the tall guys

Hey, I found its not limited to the tall guys. I'm 5'8" and am experiencing the same thing in my HH when lying on my back. I've tried putting my pack sideways down at my feet to widen the right side of the HH, which ends up sliding down alongside of my torso. Luckily, I'm side sleeper & roller so it's been less of a problem.

I have thought about adding a third tie-out, to pull the entrance away from the asym portion where I lie.- MacEntyre
    Now that's an idea. If you do it let us know if it works. I suppose that's an advantage the spreader bar hammocks have over gathered end hammocks.
    Last edited by Crash; 11-21-2008 at 09:03.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I have thought about adding a third tie-out, to pull the entrance away from the asym portion where I lie.
    ...and then I think that would add another PITA string to dodge when you enter the hammock.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts