WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If it is 4" of CS, that is going to be around zero. But is IX also involved? Anybody got the specs?
    It is 11.5 oz per yard of Insultex and it is around 4 inches fluffed.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    It is 11.5 oz per yard of Insultex and it is around 4 inches fluffed.
    I think you mean Climashield, rather than Insultex.
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Derrr.

From the Arrowhead Equipment site.

We will swap out our normal 6 oz climashield for 11.5oz boosting the loft and warmth retaining ability. Step from our normal mid 30's rating to close to 0. Deep Winter upgraded quilts have just over 4" of loft!

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Hey LD. Looks like you had fun trying out the new gear. Thanks for the pics, especially the packed size & comparison to the WBBB.
    It's been super windy here the last few days & today it snowed a ton. So I finally just set up the WBBB in the house, hung from some door jams. I didn't get in it, just wanted to see how it looked. I did slide my thermarest into the pocket to see how it fit. I can already tell I'm not going to be comfy with that. So..... full length UQ here we come. Just have to decide if it will be synthetic (New River) or down (Incubator). Seeing how big the New River is helps with that decision. I'm leaning towards a 3 Season Incubator, and what the heck, maybe a 3 Season Burrow as well. Weight isn't an issue for me, but packability is. And I'll admit, I'm a sucker for down fluffiness.
    Have fun with your new toy..... the Digi Camo looks great.
    KJ

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I did slide my thermarest into the pocket to see how it fit. I can already tell I'm not going to be comfy with that. So..... full length UQ here we come. Just have to decide if it will be synthetic (New River) or down (Incubator). Seeing how big the New River is helps with that decision. I'm leaning towards a 3 Season Incubator, and what the heck, maybe a 3 Season Burrow as well. Weight isn't an issue for me, but packability is. And I'll admit, I'm a sucker for down fluffiness.
    Have fun with your new toy..... the Digi Camo looks great.
    KJ
    My synthetic fill air pads would work just not like I wanted. Inside with me would have been better than between the layers IMHO. Believe me the Winter down Incubator was whispering naughty things into my ear. The wet UQ thing just would not go away in my tiny reptillian brain. The compromise will likely be WBs Black Mamba TQ in long wide. Absolutely nothing beats quality down gear for warm, comfortable, light weight, and small packing size. Like the digi pattern...might need a BBO to match. Unless, that is, someone comes up with a waterproof hammock sock for the WBBB (Brandon, Paul hello?).

Images
    Derrr.

From the Arrowhead Equipment site.
    We will swap out our normal 6 oz climashield for 11.5oz boosting the loft and warmth retaining ability. Step from our normal mid 30's rating to close to 0. Deep Winter upgraded quilts have just over 4" of loft!
    That should do it. I think it is Cannibal who has taken 10 oz ( 2.5 oz x 4 layers) of CS XP to below zero. But I think WBG couldn't get quite that low, if mem serves.

However, this is 11.5 oz? WOW!

But, no IX in this quilt, correct?

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Like the digi pattern...might need a BBO to match. Unless, that is, someone comes up with a waterproof hammock sock for the WBBB (Brandon, Paul hello?).
    Actually in one of the threads on the MMG one that is being tested MacEntyre commented that Brandon might be working on one that would work for the BB.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...9&postcount=12

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But, no IX in this quilt, correct?
    No IX.

I slept in the whole rig last night in temps around 40 F with a bunch of dew. The Byer stand I used is a compromise for a back yard with no hangin' trees. It was not perfect but still worlds better than any camp cot or ground pad I have ever slept on. I am convinced that with two appropriate trees I could adjust the WBBB better than my sleep number bed. The tarp was too low, the KAQ NR DWQ UQ was not adjusted as well as it should have been, and the WBBB did not have enough sag. All because of the compromise Byer forces and to get out (I did once) for fine tuning meant getting wet from the low tarp and dew.

That said it was a good sleep for the conditions and warm enough (though not as good as I want to make it). I did notice the lower leg hammock ridge feel but not too bad (I had two pillows from the house to adjust comfort). I am not disapointed with the WBBB. The KAQ NR UQ (with added insulation) is a work in progress and I am basically beta testing it for Paul (he does not know I have assigned myself to his team yet). I am also not disapointed with the KAQ UQ. YMMV

Down sides? It is HUGE in its stuff sack and I do need to work on adjusting it to the WBBB. That may mean some added shock cord and/or rerouting of the current system. My take is that a lighter NR might possibly snug against the hammock better with Paul's stock attachments. I aim to tinker because that is what us hangmen do!:wink:
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 11-22-2010 at 11:13.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice big uq LD, and Paul!

I will add that it is not recomended to over compress your synthetic, I think Paul will confer. You will do permanent damage if they are smashed too much.
    HYUQ
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Nice big uq LD, and Paul!

I will add that it is not recomended to over compress your synthetic, I think Paul will confer. You will do permanent damage if they are smashed too much.
    HYUQ
    Thanks Gargoyle, working on it but sometimes we just must make do. The worst thing is it will become more of a 3 season UQ (or ruined) and I get to order another one.

I am also thinking a "stuff sack" made longer and smaller in diameter (more like a tube) might make this ungainly beast conform more with less compression. Plus even though it is only a hope at this time (more of a pipe dream), Judy and I have been discussing ubber lightweight backpacking for overnighter trips. The longer tube type sack could be arranged in more ways with a pack. It is important enough to me that Judy be warm and comfy that I will carry more so she can be just that.

Synthetic UQ thought; It was almost drizzle wet last night and I will go out to check my equipment for wetness in a bit. Down may not have faired as well as the KAQ...maybe. The Kelty "rained" on me throughout the night...glad I kept the Skeeter net up. Moot point anyway as synthetic is what I am playing with right now.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 11-23-2010 at 11:59.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast