Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, Please.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none

Help, Please.

This is directed at BMBH owners mostly, but any help is appreciated.

I had planned on spending a few more nights in Fin's BMBH before I sent it back to him on Monday. Everything was setup and I was testing the hang. Seems I've had a catastrophic failure of the tree strap, though.

One of the Box-X Stitches that forms a loop for a carbiner to hook to is shredded, and I need to replace the strap.

It's basically a strap with a cinch buckle and then another 6" or so piece of webbing stitched on top of it with a Box-X stitch on either end to form a loops to put a caribiner through.

Do strapworks sell these types of straps or is this a custom job? I feel really bad about it because Fin trusted it to me and now I've broken it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fulminated View Post
    This is directed at BMBH owners mostly, but any help is appreciated.

I had planned on spending a few more nights in Fin's BMBH before I sent it back to him on Monday. Everything was setup and I was testing the hang. Seems I've had a catastrophic failure of the tree strap, though.

One of the Box-X Stitches that forms a loop for a carbiner to hook to is shredded, and I need to replace the strap.

It's basically a strap with a cinch buckle and then another 6" or so piece of webbing stitched on top of it with a Box-X stitch on either end to form a loops to put a caribiner through.

Do strapworks sell these types of straps or is this a custom job? I feel really bad about it because Fin trusted it to me and now I've broken it.
    Hey, Fin may be glad it broke on you rather than breaking on Fin and dumping him on the ground!

Strapworks would sell something that would work, but someone else sells something closer to it, can't think of the name?

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Several suppliers, such as Arrowhead have some straps similar to what you are looking for. Most will have a loop at only one end, but you can ask that they add a second loop and I'll bet that they would accommodate you. price is about $0.50/ ft. custom ordered.

You could also get some replacements from a manufacturer, such as Hennessy which uses a strap with two loops. price is about $10/pair for 4 ft length.

Edit: I just re-read your post and it sounds like you have some sort of special strap so these options may not work after all, sorry.
    Last edited by WarmSoda; 12-24-2009 at 13:13. Reason: greater understanding of the universe at large.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    pictures of the strap in question
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I second Arrowhead. Shoot Paul an email, and he'll fix you up pdq.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ful, I'm sure Mac could throw some stitches back into that strap. I could as well. Maybe someone close to you will chime in. Not a big deal to restitch a strap. You could take it to a local awning shop, they could fix it in a few minutes. Good Luck.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks to me like it could just be sewn back together. Do you, or someone you know, have a sewing machine?

Maybe give fin a call or PM and talk it over with him too.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Ful, I'm sure Mac could throw some stitches back into that strap. I could as well. Maybe someone close to you will chime in. Not a big deal to restitch a strap. You could take it to a local awning shop, they could fix it in a few minutes. Good Luck.
    I work with a guy who sews leather and he can sew nylon and poly webbing I guess. I didn't know if it would be a bad idea to restitch that or not, but I know I could never return it to fin in that condition.

Billy Bob, maybe he will be glad it broke on me, but I didn't end up on the ground. That plastic cinch buckle and the other box-x stitch held i together long enough for me to get my weight off of it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As long as the webbing is still intact it shouldn't be a problem to re-sew it. Just make sure he uses polyester or nylon thread - no cotton.
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    Looks to me like it could just be sewn back together. Do you, or someone you know, have a sewing machine?

Maybe give fin a call or PM and talk it over with him too.

Jerry
    I second hitting Fin up. He is one of the most stand up guys I know and he will just sew it back up no problem.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast