Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Making a hammock is very simple; you don't even need a sewing machine. I made a few for my kids by just using a candle to melt the nylon strands on the edges. All you need to do is gather the ends and attach a whoopie sling. There are a few sticky threads on how to make a hammock. Sewing is optional.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    @Flatline - Thanks, I will for sure be checking out your vids.

@Dejoha - I am very interested in a DIY hammock. It sounds like a lot of fun and I can make some modifications to it as well. I am going to check out these videos on here and see if it is something I can do and maybe where to get materials. Thanks again everyone!

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey776 View Post
    @Dejoha - I am very interested in a DIY hammock. It sounds like a lot of fun and I can make some modifications to it as well. I am going to check out these videos on here and see if it is something I can do and maybe where to get materials. Thanks again everyone!
    I just made a single layer 1.1 ounce ripstop DIY with the information on here (a lot of it from Dejoha). It is really easy and a lot more fun to have made something with your own two hands. I did sew the edges on mine, but it's not necessary. You can get ripstop from most fabric stores, but you will get much better prices from online. I got mine from Scott at backwoodsdaydreamer.com and I was just as happy with the service as the price.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    @ Cold
    That site looks great man! Thanks a lot. I do like the idea of making one my self. I think I would appreciate it more too.

Does anyone have a rough estimate to the price of making on yourself in comparison to buying one?Thanks

-Trevor

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey776 View Post
    Does anyone have a rough estimate to the price of making on yourself in comparison to buying one?Thanks

-Trevor
    I got the ripstop for 3.00 dollars a yard and got 4 yards. I used polyester thread my friends already have (probably wouldn't have been more than a couple bucks). Some cordolette for a ridgeline and whipping (5$ish). I also got a couple of biners to make my ridgeline removable, but those aren't necessary. All told I would say it can be as cheap as 20$ or even less depending. Definitely worth it. Also, my hammock is much lighter than any hammock I think you could buy except maybe the nano 7 (I don't have a scale to weigh my hammock).

PS: If you are buying thread, get a thinner rather than heavy duty non-organic thread. The heavy thread on the light fabric didn't work well for me. Another thing you might want to do is buy some zip ties for temporary whipping to experiment quickly with different gatherings.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Butt Stephen View Post
    I got the ripstop for 3.00 dollars a yard and got 4 yards. I used polyester thread my friends already have (probably wouldn't have been more than a couple bucks). Some cordolette for a ridgeline and whipping (5$ish). I also got a couple of biners to make my ridgeline removable, but those aren't necessary. All told I would say it can be as cheap as 20$ or even less depending. Definitely worth it. Also, my hammock is much lighter than any hammock I think you could buy except maybe the nano 7 (I don't have a scale to weigh my hammock).
    WOW! That is incredibly cheap. For $20 I am definitely going to attempt this one. Man, if I got good at this I would give the best birthday/Christmas presents for all my friends. haha Thanks so much for your help!!

-Trevor

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12