DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Look forward to seeing how they turned out.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Alright had to go eat dinner with the family but I just had a chance to sit down and get the photos uploaded and will be testing them out tomorrow hopefully.

First off for the poles I have used the carbon fiber poles I had laying around that were 6mm OD x 4mm ID and cut them down to 26" each. at this length they "feel" pretty strong against compressive forces. Any longer and it seems to like to bow.

For the "end caps" as I am calling them I found some neat nylon washers that were 1/2"OD x .194" ID x 1" L. On one end going only 1/2" in I drilled out the ID to .24" with a 15/64" bit. then I drilled a hole through the cylinder from the side on the other end. Also using the 15/64" bit. See pictures. now I haven't tried to thread amsteel through this hole yet but at least 1 strand should be no problem. Though my backpacking hammocks have Dynaglide whoopies so this will be no problem for me.

Then they slip on to the end of the carbon poles and since I only drilled out the ID half an inch in they stop the carbon poles from sliding in any further.

*********************Drum Roll***********************

and the weights!!!!!!!!!!!!! a single one came in at 0.65oz. and the set came in at 1.4oz.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.
    I got the "end cap" nylon washers at Lowes in the drawers in the hardware isles and the carbon poles came from Hobby Lobby the RC plane store. They have a lot of other sizes for the carbon poles if this ends up being too small and I may end up trying another size.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Looks great! Nice and light. I'd suggest using a dremel bit or file to ease over the sharp edge of the whoopie hole to prevent abrasion to the suspension. It doesn't take much.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    well I wasn't able to get them tested tonight as I had too much to do before it got dark. But Sunday is looking good for a hang in the park and I should be able to try them out then!

Images
    Why doesn't one hammock pop up above the other when one person gets out while another stays in?

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    That's what does happen Swankfly, hence needing to have rounded ends that won't damage the tarp. The tarp has to be pitched slightly higher when hanging tandem. The bars stay relatively horizontal when both hammocks are occupied.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Well I'm laying in my hammock right now and sadly I have to say the carbon pole at the foot end failed horribly. Don't know if it had a defect or what because the head end didn't bow at all. May have to order some larger carbon poles to try out. :-(

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    That's what does happen Swankfly, hence needing to have rounded ends that won't damage the tarp. The tarp has to be pitched slightly higher when hanging tandem. The bars stay relatively horizontal when both hammocks are occupied.
    Okay, so is it a little bit dicey, going out at night to water the bushes, getting out and getting back in?

How much higher do you have to hang the hammock so that when this does occur the remaining hanger doesn't end up on the ground?

swank

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barbermike View Post
    Well I'm laying in my hammock right now and sadly I have to say the carbon pole at the foot end failed horribly. Don't know if it had a defect or what because the head end didn't bow at all. May have to order some larger carbon poles to try out. :-(

Maybe it was closer to the tree on that side so it had more compression force applied... Just a thought assuming the poles were of equal quality and strength...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Okay, so is it a little bit dicey, going out at night to water the bushes, getting out and getting back in?

How much higher do you have to hang the hammock so that when this does occur the remaining hanger doesn't end up on the ground?

swank
    Not at all "dicey." I hang each hammock normally, then place the spreaders between them. This raises them everly so slightly, but places them either side of the centerline between trees. When one hammock is occupied, everything is normal. As the second person enters their hammock, the first is raised slightly, and moved off of center. It's kind of like laying in a porch swing and getting pushed back and held in place.

A video would show it better than words. Maybe I can make time for that in the next day or so. Does anyone know what software dejoha uses to make his diagrams?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast