Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JRB(Jacks R Better) has their 11'x10' on sale through today with free seam sealing. Very nice tarp and with the sale/seam seal your saving close to $30. Good luck with your decision.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire

Maybe my 3 cents

I don't really consider it "bashing" a manufacturer, when not to do so, is worse advice.

Many people have and enjoy Eno hammocks. Like GT Slap Straps, if you own a GT, you switch them out, for something that works.

I think the same goes for tarps, if the same manufacturers produce them.

HH began offering it's better Hex tarp, when people probably began looking elsewhere for a better tarp, and ended up purchasing the entire kit, somewhere else.

Concerning the above manufacturers, the worst thing that can happen to them is for customers to start looking around for better suspensions, or weather protection, and begin comparison shopping, the rest of the rig.

HH did what it could to fix that with, side entries, the Hex tarps, and free upgrades to them on some models.

Eno/GT instead of refining it's product, seems more intent upon introducing "New" stuff, that other manufacturers do not provide.

Two different approaches to the same problem.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 07-08-2012 at 14:09.
    Signature suspended

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    It should be said that for little more money than the least expensive ENO tarps, OP can buy a similarly sized premium sil-nylon tarp from one of several makers who sell and ship direct: Arrowhead, Warbonnet, JRB, OES, Wilderness Logics, etc.

Or, consider for <$50, the Go-Lite sil-nylon poncho-and-tarp, if it is long enough. It must be inexpensive enough.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    You pretty much pay for what you get concerning tarps. Cheap price means your mostly paying for complaints.

That being said, a WW or Harbor Freight, while noisy, bulky, and a bit on the heavy side, will do just fine, until you're ready to step up into real tarp-ville.

I just bought one of these and couldn't be happier

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1869837

Sorry. I did the best I could. I have no personal knowledge of any other tarps, other than the WW, Harbor Freight, and AHE, so felt it improper to suggest any others. Seemed to cover a wide enough price range IMO.

Info concerning the coverage involved with the Eno tarps, for anyone reading the forums correctly, is fairly common knowledge. When someone asks, right out, directly, they deserve a similar response. But you're right, we should remain one big happy family, Box stores, Cottage vendors, DIY'rs, and Hangers alike. That's HF!

Hang Your Own Hang
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by enoroy69 View Post
    Hello Fellow Hangers

I just got an ENO double nest, and I am confused about the fly to buy. I see dry fly, fast fly, and pro fly, which one would give me best coverage in rainy weather?

Thanks
    Not worth it. They just don't provide enough coverage IMO.

I have the ENO DN and I use a HENNESSY HEXFLY (Poly). It is 12'x10'. $70 on amazon with free shipping. look it up.
    16S/3873805/0669292

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by boonierat View Post
    JRB(Jacks R Better) has their 11'x10' on sale through today with free seam sealing. Very nice tarp and with the sale/seam seal your saving close to $30. Good luck with your decision.
    Why the hell do they not come already sealed?!? If it is a rainfly, that kinda defeats the purpose you think? Bad business IMO
    16S/3873805/0669292

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by JDBaughman View Post
    Why the hell do they not come already sealed?!? If it is a rainfly, that kinda defeats the purpose you think? Bad business IMO
    Many cottage vendors, really do hands on work, some don't start on your tarp until it's ordered. At peak times the room and time needed for sealing and for it to cure, would delay shipping considerably.

Depending on temp and humidity, sealant can remain tacky to the touch for a day or so, even beyond recommended cure times. Some prefer two very light coats, to one generous bead. Others insist on getting the new tarp soaked once, and fully dry, to swell the thread in the stitching first before applying sealant.

My new AHE was sealed two days ago, and no longer feels tacky, but I'll give it one more day, because I can, and don't want to sprinkle a little talc on it.

Sealing most tarps is not difficult, and many vendors include a bottle of high quality sealant, or carry it on their site, at reasonable prices for this purpose.
    Some do provide sealed or taped seams, and some contend they do but don't always.

In the end, you can almost paint seams in the time it takes to thoroughly inspect them, and YOU know it was done. In addition, not only should you inspect seams and stitching, but you should also inspect for errant needle holes and other imperfections out in the body of the tarp. The more mass produced, the item is, the more chance of a high speed stitcher running a-rye, or other imperfections slipping past a trained eye.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 07-09-2012 at 00:46.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    -I know this is heresy but I have yet to seal the seams on a tarp. Not even my DIY jobs. I've been through some nasty rains too. Now that is a risk that _I_ take. I'm just too lazy to do it and don't really have the room.

If a vendor has the equipment to seal tape the seams, more power to them. But it ain't cheap. When properly sewn, a flat felled seam is quite water resistant and who cares if the hems seep a little. I'd rather seal them myself than pay for the overhead and space to have them do it. Sealing by liquid sealer is not practical on a commercial basis.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12