MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What is the over all width at the tie out / pole attachment points? This is a very interesting idea.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I thought the same thing too but any shorter and they'd really be holding some torque to the point I'd worry about the forces being put on me tie outs. Like I said before, I had to put a little bend in the pole to get a "safe" tension. I think I need a smaller diameter pole to be honest and maybe go carbon vs. aluminum since carbons naturally have a little more flex in them. That's the key here is lots of flex over relatively small area.

I think I convinced myself that's what I'm going to have to do.

Just play around with it ..use duct tape to tape them together until you dial in the length you want .. I can tell you this about the tie-outs..I've had mine in 25-30mph winds already and even had a stake pull out of the ground in one gust .. the poles stayed attached as did the tie-outs ..
    I'm in contact with Marty all the time updating him on the gear I use from him .. I'll continue to push it until I break it ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

I'd have to measure it next time I have it out but I'd eyeball it at around 3 1/2 ft tie out to tie out. They look to be about a foot and a half roughly from the ridgeline.

Used 3 18" sections per pole for 54" length. Was going to take off 6" but after handling them, I think going shorter for that diameter would've added torque which is what's pulling the top flat. I was only paying attention to the weights of the poles and went with the lightest which ISNT the skinniest and I think people will find there's a relativity to diameter vs. flex (torque) vs. length and depending on where your tie-outs are situated will probably make the difference on diameter of pole. All hypothesis at this point though.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    48" length on my pole mods,,for my OMW which had the tie outs on the sides by Marty and his gang in manufacturering it..I moved and adjusted grip clips on my 10' x 12' OES and still went with same size as 48" length,,and either tarp works great with the pole mods...and if tarp it tied down pretty tight gets rid of any extra lines out from tarp on tie outs which I like as well too. I had a inch or so of snow on my OMW with the pole mods at 32 degrees one nite, and just tapped the tarp inside and it all slid off nicely and never stuck to the silnylon what so ever,,if we had had alittle breeze it would have blown off, but I haven't been able to hang it in any more snow as we just haven't had any to amount to anything this year. If you do make your own with easton aluminum stock of some kind,,you need to debur the outside and inside of the shaft..but very light sand paper will take care of that and a small round file for the inside. With 3 pieces however,,only the shaft of the arrow is going to touch the tarp,,and not where it was put together..weight of 2 sets for 2 tarps is only 5.4 ozs..my connector pieces have been changed to carbon shafts as I found a piece of carbon shaft for connecting the pieces that fit the 2413 nice and tight glued giving the shafts better strength and a dash lighter.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Just play around with it ..use duct tape to tape them together until you dial in the length you want .. I can tell you this about the tie-outs..I've had mine in 25-30mph winds already and even had a stake pull out of the ground in one gust .. the poles stayed attached as did the tie-outs ..
    I'm in contact with Marty all the time updating him on the gear I use from him .. I'll continue to push it until I break it ..
    haha, love it. Definitely worth knowing the breaking points.. sucks to spend the money replacing though

It wasn't so much the quick jolts to the tie-outs I'm worried about, as I'd expect them to be able to handle it, half of what they're for is stabilizing the tarp. More worried about the long term, constant pull on them. Worried about creating leaks, especially on the ridgeline where it was sewed a certain way to be waterproof vs. being sealed

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I just did a pole mod this weekend on my DIY tarp. I used an aluminium arrow shaft for the center connector and two carbon arrows for the other ends. I hooked mine on the guy line, and ended up tying 3 loops so I could adjust the tension and angle of the tarp. I'll see if I can get a pic up.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I was working on a similar pole mod for my OMW, when I realized the panel pulls needed to be moved to get rid of the flat roof I gave in and ordered a Hard Rock. I know I wimped out but I work with metal so I had mercy on the sil. Yours is looking good, I will be watching with great interest for your solutions to the problems that arise; it was a little more than I wanted to tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    I was working on a similar pole mod for my OMW, when I realized the panel pulls needed to be moved to get rid of the flat roof I gave in and ordered a Hard Rock. I know I wimped out but I work with metal so I had mercy on the sil. Yours is looking good, I will be watching with great interest for your solutions to the problems that arise; it was a little more than I wanted to tackle.

Depending on my success or failures I might not be far behind you. I know just enough to know that I prefer the poles to tying pullouts. There's still aspects of the OMW I prefer over the Hard Rock, like Sewn in doors. But I like the side coverage of the Hard Rock as well as the poles. I like how long the walls are.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I am with you on the poles vs tying out. I didn't realize the OMW had the doors sewn on, What is the advantage to that?
    I got my shipping notice today so I will check it out in person this week!

What did you use for poles on yours? I put mine on the diagonal and tied them at the point they crossed they stayed off of the ridge and required no extra fiddling on top but it didn't seem to put enough pressure outward for snow.

Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    I am with you on the poles vs tying out. I didn't realize the OMW had the doors sewn on, What is the advantage to that?
    I got my shipping notice today so I will check it out in person this week!

What did you use for poles on yours? I put mine on the diagonal and tied them at the point they crossed they stayed off of the ridge and required no extra fiddling on top but it didn't seem to put enough pressure outward for snow.

I believe it gives me more usable space long ways under my tarp when closed up. The doors.

I used Easton .344 Nano's (aluminum) I'm getting TOO much pressure. Didn't have enough pole to criss cross though I think this may be the angle to approach this vs. two parrallel poles. I'm gonna make what i have work for now but that's probably the direction I'm going to lean towards going forward. Also going to carbon poles vs. aluminum as I think the alunimun is just too rigid. I had to put small bends in my center pole to release some of that torque.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast