Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Yep, shortening that triangle would be a bad idea...
    Really? I wonder how the BMBH hammock was able to get the suspension triangle so shallow? Looks like to me the same pole set is used with slightly different lengths. I'm no math wizard though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Really? I wonder how the BMBH hammock was able to get the suspension triangle so shallow? Looks like to me the same pole set is used with slightly different lengths. I'm no math wizard though.
    The head end spreader bar on the Ridgerunner is MUCH longer than the one on the BMBH. Longer spreader bar means you need longer suspension triangles to result in the same force. Plus, being longer, and thus more susceptible to bending, you would want even LESS force than you would want with a shorter bar. Hence, the huge suspension triangle.

Yep, shortening that triangle would be a bad idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    The head end spreader bar on the Ridgerunner is MUCH longer than the one on the BMBH. Longer spreader bar means you need longer suspension triangles to result in the same force. Plus, being longer, and thus more susceptible to bending, you would want even LESS force than you would want with a shorter bar. Hence, the huge suspension triangle.
    Makes sense on the header end so I suppose at the foot end because it's actually shorter than the BMBH you should be able to shorten the triangle on that side. At least you would be able to get one side completely closed with a tarp.

I'm seeing now with the extremely long header bar how difficult it may be to pitch a superfly over it. Wasn't the easiest thing with a BMBH either.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Hey cfi. Have you tried your Neo air in the pad pocket yet?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Makes sense on the header end so I suppose at the foot end because it's actually shorter than the BMBH you should be able to shorten the triangle on that side. At least you would be able to get one side completely closed with a tarp.

I'm seeing now with the extremely long header bar how difficult it may be to pitch a superfly over it. Wasn't the easiest thing with a BMBH either.
    The Superfly fits over it just fine with the spreader bars as is. Not sure why you want to modify this hammock so badly, it's perfect the way it is...

The Superfly fits over it just fine with the spreader bars as is. Not sure why you want to modify this hammock so badly, it's perfect the way it is...

I'd prefer there be no friction between the suspension and tarp if it's possible. I have both a superfly and ridgerunner and I wouldn't say they are a great fit. It works yes, but could be better which I think is what we are all after here, to try and get our setup as good as it can be

Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    Hey cfi. Have you tried your Neo air in the pad pocket yet?

I spent the better part of my day playing around with the hammock and pad. I'll post my comparisons of the ridge runner vs bbmbh later tonight are tomorrow if your interested.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    I spent the better part of my day playing around with the hammock and pad. I'll post my comparisons of the ridge runner vs bbmbh later tonight are tomorrow if your interested.
    That would be great! Thanks.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've tested a couple types of insulation so far and have a bit of info to report. Still not a full review of what works, but at least I've ruled out what doesn't work. The LeighLo worked best of the ones I've tried so far.

- NeoAir Short. This works acceptably well. It raised me up too high when I put it inside the hammock, but it works ok inside the two-layer model. Only thing is the width...it covers my back/shoulders/butt just fine, and the hammock won't compress the TQ along the sides like in some hammocks, but there's no pad on my elbows if they hang down onto the hammock. That may get cold at night. One other interesting thing I noticed is that, even when I let some air out of the NeoAir, the bottom/outer layer of the hammock is supporting my weight along my torso, while the top/inner layer of the hammock is supporting my weight along my legs. No impact to anything, just an observation. And holy cow this pad creates static.
    - ThermaRest full-length. No issues except the same elbow insulation thing.
    - Warbonnet Yeti 3-Season. Since it's shaped to fit a gathered end hammock without adjustment, it doesn't fit the Ridgerunner (but we already knew that). It snugged up to my back and butt just fine, but created air gaps along both sides.
    - JRB Mt Washington 4. I only played around with it for a few minutes but it didn't seem to work. Maybe JRB will come out with a solution.
    - Homemade Kids Quilt. Seems that square quilts where the inner layer (against the hammock) have no 3D shaping will fit the best. This one worked acceptably well for a summer night, but the edges stuck up above the Ridgerunner's side and flopped over, creating a small air gap along the the sides.
    - LeighLo partial-length UQ. This one worked! Mine is an older model so I don't know what changes have been made recently, but this basically has a flat inner layer that snugs up well against the hammock, with differentially-cut and darted outer layer so there's no compression. Size was about right for the Ridgerunner. The sides of the quilt do rise above the sides of the hammock, but it was tight enough that it didn't cause air gaps that I could feel (would have to test this on a cooler night). It held the saddlebags up a bit, but even when I pulled them down as if they were weighted, I don't think air gaps will be a problem. Right now, I'd feel comfortable taking the LeighLo into the mountains with this hammock.

I'll do some more experimenting, but I may be convinced to spring for the torso-length Lynx soon...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Full_timer View Post
    I measured mine to respond to a question Acer had in another thread.

"Acer just back from measuring the hammock. From the outside end of the metal triangles it measured 13' 3" as hung. With the hammock pulled fully horizontal 13' 7".

Without the 4" extension 13'4" as hung. Pulled flat 13' 8.5"

I guess I should add that the hammock was empty with no uq when measured. Putting someone in the hammock would probably reduce the as hung number..."

Don't know how this correlates with other peoples preferred hang. The metal triangles are at the end of the suspension triangle. My RR is an SL if that makes a difference.

Tendertoe thanks for starting the tablecloth craze. I love mine. You helped lure me into the diy world.

Andy

i think once hung and weighted with a person most people will find the distance to be very close to 13' even

• + New Posts
  • Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast