Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Working Down

Great instructions and thanks for muting the sound in the video while running your equipment.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Just got back from wally world and they have the blowers in the pool section. I picked up another one for just in case.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    That is a nifty way of transferring down. Will put together that setup to use from now on. Very nice.

So I just finished using this method on my underquilt and let me tell you, it is absolutely amazing. Taking a break before I sew it up. This is my second DIY project with down. The first being a topquilt in which I used the shop vac method with some mesh.

The method is great as is, but I did make a few changes that I found sped it up a bit. Like Drifter, I fist harvested all of my down into a ripstop bag I made. The changes I made were during the transferring of the down to the UQ. Instead of measuring the down into a separate container by weight, I just put my entire bag on the scale and sucked what I needed out by weight. I tried the original method but found it to be just a bit too messy for me. The second change was the way I blocked off all of the other baffles that weren't being loaded. Instead of using close pins, I used 2x4s with weights. I inserted the blower into the chamber I was loading and then put 2 boards on each side as tight as I could. I then anchored each board with dumbbells. I found that the boards and the weights were enough to prevent the UQ from blowing off. Likewise, the 2 2x4s pinched tight prevented the blower from backing out as well as preventing any down from escaping.

The whole thing was very quick and mess free. There was hardly any prep time. Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OPs method, I just wanted to share what I found worked for me. Thanks again Drifter for the method, you really made a frustrating part very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    So I just finished using this method on my underquilt and let me tell you, it is absolutely amazing. Taking a break before I sew it up. This is my second DIY project with down. The first being a topquilt in which I used the shop vac method with some mesh.

The method is great as is, but I did make a few changes that I found sped it up a bit. Like Drifter, I fist harvested all of my down into a ripstop bag I made. The changes I made were during the transferring of the down to the UQ. Instead of measuring the down into a separate container by weight, I just put my entire bag on the scale and sucked what I needed out by weight. I tried the original method but found it to be just a bit too messy for me. The second change was the way I blocked off all of the other baffles that weren't being loaded. Instead of using close pins, I used 2x4s with weights. I inserted the blower into the chamber I was loading and then put 2 boards on each side as tight as I could. I then anchored each board with dumbbells. I found that the boards and the weights were enough to prevent the UQ from blowing off. Likewise, the 2 2x4s pinched tight prevented the blower from backing out as well as preventing any down from escaping.

The whole thing was very quick and mess free. There was hardly any prep time. Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OPs method, I just wanted to share what I found worked for me. Thanks again Drifter for the method, you really made a frustrating part very easy.
    So, what did you use for a blower and where did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    So, what did you use for a blower and where did you get it?
    I got the pieces from lowes and used my shop vac. Worked great

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I got the pieces from lowes and used my shop vac. Worked great
    Aaahh, good idea.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    I tried this method recently using a battery operated pump, as my vaccuum isn't reversible. I found that when the end was inserted in the baffle, there was too much back pressure, causing down to blow out instead of being suck up. I was using the correct baffled T. Do I just need a stronger blower?

Quote Originally Posted by 4estTrekker View Post
    I tried this method recently using a battery operated pump, as my vaccuum isn't reversible. I found that when the end was inserted in the baffle, there was too much back pressure, causing down to blow out instead of being suck up. I was using the correct baffled T. Do I just need a stronger blower?
    I too had this same problem occur. I had initially had a hose come off of the end to blow the down into my bag. I found that the corrugated hose created too much resistance. Removing the hose and making the exit end as short as possible solved this problem for me.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4estTrekker View Post
    Hamish, when using a low pressure blower you can’t completely seal off all the other baffles the way 4estTrekker did with his set up. As the quilt becomes filled with air it needs a path of very,very low resistance to escape, as it’s not strong enough to force it out thru all the seams. When the pressure in the quilt equals the out put pressure of the blower you lose the drafting affect and the air will start blowing out the suction hose.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast