Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Images
    The spreader bars on the 1.9 dbl are for the bug net. I don't think the Light Hiker uses them, but I'm not sure..
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundHog View Post
    The spreader bars on the 1.9 dbl are for the bug net. I don't think the Light Hiker uses them, but I'm not sure..
    Correct. No spreader bars needed on the Light Hiker. Don't need them. When the hammock is properly deployed the netting rises up out of the way gracefully and you have simple comfort.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Talking

I got my Light Hiker the other day. I only had a couple of minutes to set it up and try it out.

On of the big differences between the LH and the SB, is that there are spreader loops on the no-see-um netting of the SB, but not on the LH. The net was really high above the hammock, once I got it strug up correctly. It felt like it was a little too tight of an upside down V shape. I talked to Dale about it and he said that if I took out some of the sag, it would stretch out better.

Another big difference that I noticed between my LH and my WBBBs is that you don't have the 'wall' on one side, with a zipper on the other. Both sides open and you have an equal view out both sides. I really like those features - you don't have to worry about which end of the hammock you're putting up.

The rings that I got looked like they were rolled aluminum. I asked Dale about them. He said that they were extremely hard to come by right now (climbing season). He said that they use 'decender rings' from a climbing company, so that they know that the rings will not bend under load. They are not just some cheap aluminum rings that you could pick up that are cast. They are actually formed and rolled for strength. They don't look pretty as colored ones, but they're incredibly tough.

I did not like the Bishop Bag as much as my WBBB one. It is sewn shut on one end, with the larks head loop coming out and attached to the pair of rings. I like the open ends of the WBBB bag and that I can synched down on the draw strings and cord lock them (personal preference). The cord lock on my LH was much more beefy.

I noticed that the seam work actually appeared better than my WBBB. The seams were double sewn, with about 1/4" between the stitching (The WBBB was single stitched). I was impressed with the quality overall and in the little details.

I noticed that the double layer was actually held closed along the edge by hook & loop. There were tie outs in several places. Overall, it appeared to me that the LH was more costly to make than my WBBBs.

Finally, I think I understand why the weight was different between the single layer and double layer SB's. The outside layer is ripstop 1.1 or 1.9. I noticed that the inside layer was a different material. I confirmed this with Dale. He said that the inside layer is made of Taffeta (?). He said that it was way more breathable than ripstop. He said that it contributed to the weight quite a bit, but they felt that it was worth the trade-off. I believe that this material is why there was no perceived calf-ridge. It feels like it distributes the weight much better than rip-stop alone (or maybe it's the cut???).

I could lay with my feet at either end and it felt comfortable. There were tie outs on both sides, but I did not have a chance to tweek it. It was dark & I had to get up early this morning. I will be camping this weekend in the North Cascades, so I'll have a better chance for a head-to-head...

My first impression was that my LH is a very high quality hammock. I would not hesitate to buy another one. I believe that the biggest problem right now for Dale is keeping up with the quantity of orders and sourcing the materials he needs. He said that he has not been able to update the website, but he would like to offer people a choice between the straps and rings or the whoopies. Maybe send him a PM with your order to spec it out the way that you want it. He said that he would be willing to swap out my straps & rings for whoopies if I was so inclined.

Hope this helps those of you on the fence.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    The rings that I got looked like they were rolled aluminum. I asked Dale about them. He said that they were extremely hard to come by right now (climbing season). He said that they use 'decender rings' from a climbing company, so that they know that the rings will not bend under load. They are not just some cheap aluminum rings that you could pick up that are cast. They are actually formed and rolled for strength. They don't look pretty as colored ones, but they're incredibly tough.
    Yes, climbing-rated descender rings are single-piece items. There shouldn't be any seam like you'll see on the cheaper rings. SMC seems to be the go-to brand and it's what I use. You can buy them at REI or most anyplace that sells climbing gear.

Glad you're happy with your Light Hiker. Still lovin' mine.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    Not a lot of info on the web yet,i have found that the switchback is not as picky about setup as some other hammocks, as for the bug net rods, the guys at tttg recommend 22", but I have found that 23" works better for me

Images
    Great review rodwolfy. I agree will all except the comment on the second layer of Taffeta being the reason for no calf pressure. I have a 1.9 single with no Taffeta and have no calf pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by brushybill View Post
    Not a lot of info on the web yet,i have found that the switchback is not as picky about setup as some other hammocks, as for the bug net rods, the guys at tttg recommend 22", but I have found that 23" works better for me
    I really wish TtoT would work on their website and add some how to videos.

When I bought my SB there was no info or instructions on the netting. I actually got more info on this type of net from the DD hammock forum video.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...25&postcount=1

Not liking the straight stick idea (tarp damage) I ended up buying the clark spreader bars which fit perfectly and being rounded I have no issues with poking a hole in my tarp.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    OutandBack,
    Like I mentioned, I wasn't sure if it was the material or maybe the cut. Sounds like it was the cut.

I talked with Dale yesterday. I think he's a little overwhelmed with some of it. He said that he wanted to update his website, but he doesn't know how to do it.

As far as the spreader bars, the Light Hiker does not have any loops, so you cannot use spreaders.

I'm going to tweek it this weekend. Dale told me to stretch it out more taut and I'd geta flatter lay. I was of the impression that less sag than most hammocks is actually better.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    so no spreader bars for the netting stock with the switchback?
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brushybill View Post
    Not a lot of info on the web yet,i have found that the switchback is not as picky about setup as some other hammocks,
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post

I'm going to tweek it this weekend. Dale told me to stretch it out more taut and I'd geta flatter lay. I was of the impression that less sag than most hammocks is actually better.
    I wholeheartedly agree with both observations. The SB doesn't complain about the way it's set up and a tighter than usual hang makes for an extremely comfortable lay.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    so no spreader bars for the netting stock with the switchback?
    NOPE. just got redbeard's from the FS forum.

mighty fine looking hammock- and i'll reverberate everyone's assessments to this point, without typing them myself.

i'll have it out this weekend, and return with observations- most of which, again, have been stated on this piece of gear.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast