Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Winter incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by fuhgawee View Post
    Nothing to add just increasing post count
    Be careful, I was told that if I do that they will take away the posts from my post count and possibly ban me

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    So you're saying that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"?

-Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan
    ubetcha!!!
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangar View Post
    Be careful, I was told that if I do that they will take away the posts from my post count and possibly ban me
    Hangar, a quick observation, it is not about "they" and "me." It is about us. As a community seeking hammocking enlightment we welcome input and perspective from members so that all of us can benefit. Regardless if we are contributors of money, posts, moderators, whatever, it is about all of us as a group. Those of us here have agreed to the terms. We welcome your input as part of us.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Luckily you no longer have to worry about this, since you are well over 50 posts...
    Yes,but my point is this. If you have a guy who's been a member for three years and is at 43 posts and wants to sell something, I would like to see him do so on this site rather than somewhere else. It benefits me just as much as him to have the opportunity to buy that gear. What I would really like to see is some seller feedback with score system like I see on other forums I belong to.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Let me say I am fine with the 50 post limit, but I question the limitation of not counting the posts in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.

I have now observed people having, say, 35 posts, and they now write 15-20 posts the same day in other forums like "Nice trip report". "Good idea'. Whatnot. In my opinion, it just moved the problem.

I don't have a better solution to ensuring the 50 posts are 'quality' posts. And I don't envy the Mods on trying to solve this. I am thankful they are trying to watch our backs.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Yes,but my point is this. If you have a guy who's been a member for three years and is at 43 posts and wants to sell something, I would like to see him do so on this site rather than somewhere else. It benefits me just as much as him to have the opportunity to buy that gear. What I would really like to see is some seller feedback with score system like I see on other forums I belong to.
    I see your point, but changes had to be made. Hammock Forums is as non-commercial a site as you will likely ever see. We work hard to make sure that we stay focused on our primary mission, which is that we enjoy learning and talking about hammocks (thus, the name Hammock Forums). Everything else is window dressing.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way but the thing is this is not ebay, nor is the site set around selling gear. We are here to talk about hammocks and all things hammock related. We just happen to have a spot for those that contribute to the community to sell used gear.

To your hypothetical point (again don't take this the wrong way)... but maybe the guy created the account 3 years ago thinking he would be able to sell gear here and never contribute to the community and the only reason he comes here is to sell gear. I'd rather buy gear from someone that I know contributes (regardless of how long he has been here) to a community that i respect and enjoy on a daily basis... at least I know him better than the guy with no post count that's here to just unload his gear. To be honest I don't like giving my money to people I don't know- I work hard for what little I have.

For all of those wanting to sell gear there are large gear re-selling sites out there that will give you even larger audiences to sell too... like http://www.geartrade.com/.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WBSF, MacCat STD
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/Thermarest
    Quote Originally Posted by toygun View Post

For all of those wanting to sell gear there are large gear re-selling sites out there that will give you even larger audiences to sell too... like http://www.geartrade.com/.
    I'm new to this posting stuff, but I thought I should thank you for pointing out another web site that I will need to spend hours looking over for new gear that I won't realize I need until I see it.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Would people prefer that the for sale area was for donating members only? I would think not, but seeing as how often there are non-hammock specific items being sold (ie packs, tents, cook kits, etc) in the sub-forum. Personally I like the 50 post rule. It doesn't take long to hit the number for most people who come here enthusiastic about hammocks. Also it deters people who would probably be better served by selling on ebay anyway.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    dth
    Tarp
    thdth
    Insulation
    dth
    Suspension
    dth
    The point is well made on both sides. The thing you have to remember, there are those people "in this community" that start to feel like the walls are moving in on them. When all they see and hear is "conform!". "We are a collective".
    Like TheHangMan was saying.
    Last edited by River Diver; 10-24-2012 at 22:50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast