Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the 3 season yeti packs in a stuffsac the same size as your bb hammock does.
    You're just too nice to your quilts.

I actually got my 3-Season (which is heavier than the current models) into one of OES Brian's deluxe sized tarp stuff sacks. It wasn't by choice, but by necessity at the time. They can be made to be quite tiny. It took about 15 or 20 minutes to re-loft, but they will go small.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I can only assume your bag is synthetic because I can darn near pack for a winter outing/w food for 4 days in a 3,500 cu in pack. A week in winter with my 4,600 cu in pack is a cake-walk with room to spare.
    Let's clarify this statement for all you gram weenies. Notice the bolded words. I was bored and feeling feisty last night so I wanted to see what my winter load would look like in my Ohm. I would never carry it this way because I have a Catalyst that just flat-out excels with those kind of loads! I was just bored.

I was not able to close the top once the food bag was in place. But, man is it close!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    summer
    claytor mosquito hammock
    truck sunshade
    JRB quilt

spring-fall
    same as above +
    3/4 length ccf
    rig poncho as weathershield if needed

winter (above 15*F)
    same as above +
    30* synthetic sleeping bag

winter (sub 15*F)
    claytor hammock
    truck sunshade
    full length egg crate style ccf
    poncho as weathershield
    TNF Solar Flare -20 sleeping bag

I have used the above setup down to -6*F and was toasty warm. I am sure I can go to -15 and be way comfortable still.

note: even when bugs are not an issue the moquito netting is beneficial as it adds some warmth... not much but it is noticeable.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You're just too nice to your quilts.

I actually got my 3-Season (which is heavier than the current models) into one of OES Brian's deluxe sized tarp stuff sacks. It wasn't by choice, but by necessity at the time. They can be made to be quite tiny. It took about 15 or 20 minutes to re-loft, but they will go small.
    you're right, i can actually get 2 of them in one bb suffsac. it's a good size stuffsac for one though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Yeti / Ultra 20
    Suspension
    Straps/Biners
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetairoi View Post
    Considering your username expensive down gear may not be an option, but I'd recommend something like the ultra 20 or a speer top quilt, it makes a world of difference.

Other than spending money, yeah, ditch the sack and stuff the bag
    Not really, I believe strongly in researching, researching, researching and buying correctly the first time (as opposed to crappy gear multiple times). If something is worth the price I will shell it out if needed.

The good thing right now is that I am USING a kelty red cloud pack and mountain hardware bag. I have yet to pick up my own so I am researching what I want for myself after using a few items.

I would like to thank everyone for the input, it is helping tremendously. I am thinking the warbonnet blackbird will be fine in the summer by itself,
    when it gets cooler I need to add something like the Yeti.

A Few Questions:
    1. Say I pick up the yeti undercover, does all the heat escape thru the mosquito netting? It seems like a lot to pack up, under cover, hammock, top cover, tarp, and sleeping bag. Am I mistaken or would this only be needed for really cold weather (I dont plan to be out under 30F) THIS IS WHY I NEED TO FIND A PICTURE OF IT SETUP
    2. What do I need to look for in terms of sleeping bags that will be fine for all seasons? (warm sleeper)
    3. Also should I be looking at a down sleeping bag since the synthetics are hard to compress/pack? (and are the down bags too warm for the summer?)
    4. Im looking for pictures of the BB, Yeti, and tarp packed up separately (if you have pictures please post them)

THANK YOU ALL! Ive been reading and researching and its somewhat overwhelming so I appreciate you answering my questions!
    Last edited by BrokeEnthusiast; 06-20-2009 at 10:45.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    3) down quilt is an option (packs small), since you've got your undercover taken care of, and you can kick it off or stick a leg out if it's too warm. 2) I'm a cold sleeper, so I always err on the side of warm. 1) mosquito netting? In the summer some people just shove their sit pad, or pack, whatever under their legs. Yes, colder with yeti = pad under legs.

* most of this info, especially about BB's and yeti's is just what I've gleaned from the forum, no actual experience.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeEnthusiast View Post
    Not really, I believe strongly in researching, researching, researching
    you are certainly in the right place then

1. Say I pick up the yeti undercover, does all the heat escape thru the mosquito netting? It seems like a lot to pack up, under cover, hammock, top cover, tarp, and sleeping bag. Am I mistaken or would this only be needed for really cold weather (I dont plan to be out under 30F) THIS IS WHY I NEED TO FIND A PICTURE OF IT SETUP
    Cold is very subjective, you likely won't need a top cover unless it's below 30F (maybe, test test test in the backyard). You'll probably be fine with the yeti and a small pad. I use a full pad unless it's really hot, but I tend to sleep very cold.

2. What do I need to look for in terms of sleeping bags that will be fine for all seasons? (warm sleeper)
    3. Also should I be looking at a down sleeping bag since the synthetics are hard to compress/pack? (and are the down bags too warm for the summer?
    Take a look at JRB and Speer to get an idea of quilts that work well with hammocks. I personally think a good top quilt is the best, least bulky option, but you'll find many different opinions here. Full sleeping bags work just fine for some, others have trouble getting into them inside the hammock.

There are many many options now. We are blessed to be utterly confused about what to get

4. Im looking for pictures of the BB, Yeti, and tarp packed up separately (if you have pictures please post them)
    Here is a pic from the gallery showing the pack size of the yeti. You can search the gallery as well as the forum and you might find some pics that will help. I'm sure someone will come along and post some pics for you, most of the folks here are more than happy to discuss their setups

I would take some pics, but I'm at the beach today ... speaking of ... I should be outside
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    No change for me. Same hammock gear year round, & I camp Year Round.

If going to a hardcore winter hangout with expected temps in the low teens I add a chem heater pack. But I usually carry 2 toe warmers anyway in case I get hypothermia again.

The last time it got to the low 40s here at home, I didn't even use my overerquilt, but it's only 31 Oz, so I just carry it anyway.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Yeti / Ultra 20
    Suspension
    Straps/Biners
    Thanks for all of the help! I have decided that I will use this fall as a guide to let me know what I will need (this is my first year hanging). If its too cold with just the bag and the tarp over me I'll order a yetti. If its still cold I'll try switching out the sleeping bag for a down quilt from Speer .

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    You will need something under you to keep you warm- even in the summer (unless the weather is set to "oven mode") What happens is the slight breeze underneath "rubs" against the hammock bottom, stealing heat. A pad will work fine, if you have one wide enough for your shoulders (some have used a car/truck foam sun shade). Pads are not as comfy as underquilts (especially if you are a back sweater) and I prefer the UQ because I'm not coordinated enough to stay on the pad.

Unless it's real cold most people manage with a tarp, topquilt/underquilt (or instead of TQ, a sleeping bag) and maybe a "weather shield" or "hammock sock" (see www.tothewoods.net - "staying warm" and "staying dry").

Happy reading, happy playing!

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast