Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cool idea! I love a vid ......
    Try a longer tarp and hang it like a diamond. You may gain more coverage on the ends.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Yeah, nice job.

I have 2-half shelters as well. (The tent went to Woodstock in '69). I was thinking about how to add a stove jack to it to make a hot tent. Just an idea right now, I wonder if anyone has already done it.
    That is one awesome tent!! I was thinking about adding a stove jack myself, let me know if you find anyone that has already!

Today I made a slight tweak to the shelter, I pulled the 2 tent halves closer to the single tree side in order to cover the gap. Unfortunately this left me with a new problem. Before only a small amount of the hammock stuck out the end, small enough that I wouldn't mind putting a tarp around it and calling it a day. Now about 18" of the hammock stick out, enough that I cannot feasibly put a tarp around it. Its left me with such an odd shape that I fear I may need to make a custom tarp for it (though I'm looking for other suggestions).

Second video added to initial post.
    Last edited by nsgrossman; 12-14-2009 at 01:23.

I added more pictures to my picture directory, link is in the OP.

I used a carabiner to attach the 2 sides of the pop tent to my tree huger rather then the sides of the tree. With a 10x8 tarp (or 12x10 maybe) I shouldn't have any trouble covering the entire shelter. With this modification the space in the front seems narrow enough to make this shelter effective w/o a door.

Additionally I moved the stove to the side with the opening to ensure good ventilation (but I suppose this will mean I'll need a real ripping fire to heat the shelter... darn )

Added another video with my new tarp.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good job with all the videos. I would make the suggestion of setting this all up on a different set of trees. Since you won't have these trees out on the trail you want to test it out to make sure it is flexible to slightly different tree arrangements.
    Good job of keeping your setup on the cheap end.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Turk has an early JRB Hammock Hut with a stove jack built in.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=stove+jack
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Turk has an early JRB Hammock Hut with a stove jack built in.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=stove+jack
    I did see this hammock hut before and believe me, am green with envy. I did some numbers awhile back for fabric costs and it ended up being on the high side to make it large enough for 2. (High for me anyway )

I'm also a bit wary of any tent that's too closed in with a stove. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to down on those that use them, I'm just one of those people that would be too paranoid about carbon monoxide poisoning to sleep at night.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I like the video posts. Two comments:

One; three (or four) tarps? It's an interesting idea, but isn't it going to take a long time to setup each night? A large single tarp would seem to be easier - maybe a 12X12 or so. The ends can be closed off fairly easy. I admit, two layers of tarps would be warmer, but I've always been amazed at how much warmer I am in my JRB 10X11 when I go outside for a pee break.

Two; you should use straps instead of rope for the hammocks - at least some tree saver straps. These don't have to be costly. The rope will kill trees a lot quicker and may get the rest of us banned from hanging.
    Last edited by bear bag hanger; 12-20-2009 at 08:19.

Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I like the video posts. Two comments:

One; three (or four) tarps? It's an interesting idea, but isn't it going to take a long time to setup each night? A large single tarp would seem to be easier - maybe a 12X12 or so. The ends can be closed off fairly easy. I admit, two layers of tarps would be warmer, but I've always been amazed at how much warmer I am in my JRB 10X11 when I go outside for a pee break.

Two; you should use straps instead of rope for the hammocks - at least some tree saver straps. These don't have to be costly. The rope will kill trees a lot quicker and may get the rest of us banned from hanging.
    1 - You'd be surprised at how quickly I can put this up and take it back down again. At this stage in the game it probably takes me about 15 - 20 mins either way, depending on how many times I need to stick my hands back in my pockets :P For me the issue is more the weight, but that's something I can live with; there's a fair amount of wind at one of my favorite spots, its really left a bad taste in my mouth as far as sleeping under a blue tarp goes.

2 - You may notice that one side of my hammock is indeed strapped. I use rope on the other end because I feel it makes tightening the hammock much easier. Admittedly the rope in this instance was on the thinner side (couldn't find my good rope and wasn't planning on sleeping in it), typically I use a much thicker style made for boat tethering. There are entire threads about the +/-'s of using tree huggers and the like; my personal opinion is that a rope with a sizable diameter won't damage the tree. My usual testing trees for example have stood up to ropes many times without any noticeable damage. Its also about how you tie the rope; multiple raps around the tree (as I do) disperses the wait much better than a choke does. But either way let's not get into that discussion, as I'm sure it will never end.

Thanks for your interest and comments!
    Last edited by nsgrossman; 12-22-2009 at 01:56.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    If you used 2 longer tarps rather than 1 large and 1 smaller you could possibly have them overlap on the top and at the end where you have the end cap the ends of the 2 larger tarps could form a door that could be left open or staked shut. Just an idea to consider. I admire you for making the best use of the materials you have at a low cost. Good job.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12