Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Military surplus bug net modified for a hammock

I haven't been here very long, but this place has been great for information and inspiration. I don't think I would have gotten this far without the "do-it-yourself" energy that flows in this forum.

I bought a surplus bug net(mosquito bar, insect bar) before I headed out for my first hang and it did great at keeping the bugs off, but it looked pretty bad and I didn't have much confidence that it would stay closed all night.

So I searched here and on line for the different ways mosquito nets are set up and here's what I've come up with so far. It's not finished because I want to be able to unstitch it if necessary and change anything that needs changing. I'm going to use it a couple times and see if I need to change anything.

Suggestions are welcome.

When the unmodified net is layed out flat it's a hexagonal shape like below. It's two identical layers layed on top of each other. The dark line represents a factory seam that is the top of the net when used to cover a cot, but I made it into the bottom of my net.

The diagonal red lines(below) represent where I sewed it together and the horizontal red line represents two channels I sewed and put shock cord through. I put both pieces of shock cord through cord locks and made them equal tension.

The material above the shock cord forms a flap that lays over the ridge line and since the hem forms a v, it hangs on the ridge line making somewhat of a seal and making it pretty stable. I thought about putting cord locks in the middle and cinching them really tight, but I couldn't get the cords tight enough to come together. There were always a bunch of gaps. The way I've done it makes a pretty good seal. I'm still considering sewing it all up and putting in a zipper though.

The ends close up pretty good in my opinion.

The inner flap is still a problem I have to solve. I'm thinking something as simple as a couple cords from my ridgeline running down over the edge of the hammock might give it enough support, or trimming it so that only a couple of inches hang over the ridge line.

Closed up tight!

Last edited by hang-in; 07-03-2012 at 18:19.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Nice work man! I made one nearly identical to that last week. The flap on mine is sewn down on the ends and so far seems to seal as advertised. I borrowed heavily from Pips TED bug net design. I may get out for some pictures later.

Last winter I made a canvas sock and I didn't think the flap hung down far enough, not so critical with that sock, but would have been a serious mistake with the bug net so I made the flap extra large to ensure a good seal. I may even re-work the canvas sock to be flapless I don't think it needs it.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I made this same bugnet from Pips design which used Hangnout's top closure and I really like it. And, as Red pointed out, it makes a fabulous winter sock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Neat idea, a top-entry bug sock.

Regarding the inner flap: since it's hanging straight down from the opening, couldn't you just push it back outside once you're in the hammock? In a perfect world, it would lie across the outside seam and give it an extra layer of protection anywhere you have gaps. In reality, it will probably just fall to the wrong side and flap in the wind.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
    .... In reality, it will probably just fall to the wrong side and flap in the wind.
    The common solution is to sew a few small pockets into the bottom edge of the flap and place a rock in each one.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I also used hangnout's and Pip's TED designs on my bugnet last year except that it was sewn to an undercover. My first hang last Nov the setup had more lines and rigging than a sailboat. Great design but I'm looking for ways to reduce the rigging more than I already have.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Yeah, a big thanks to Pips for alot of the design. I'm not sure who came up with it exactly, but I know Pips made an informative post about it if she didn't in fact come up with it.

To help clarify(hopefully not further confuse), here's an exaggerated cross section drawing of the edge I rolled over to create the channel for the shock cord. The circle represents a cross section of the ridge line. And the red lines are the stitching.

And this illustrates how they nest over the ridge line.

Kzoo, if I pushed the flap outside, that side would sag and not make a very good seal, so the the flap has to stay inside. I think it has enough grip on the ridge line that I could cut it down to 2 inches or so and it would probably still grip the ridge line, but be up far enough to be out of my way.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    i like that

Thanks Southpaw and thanks everyone for the advice. Hey Kzoo, I think I may understand what you meant. -If I just pushed part of the flap, maybe half of it back out it could keep it out of the way and not fall open.

The next thing I want to work on is a peak bag. I'm thinking out of making it from some of the leftover bug netting so I can see through it. I wonder about its strength and durability, but I think it's up to it.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Upon further inspection, mine is only similar. You can only get in on one side of mine, looks like yours is a two-door.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast