Question Designing underquilt to be snug up against bottom of hammock

Hello,

After successfully completing a baffled top quilt this winter using M50 and 900fp down from thru-hiker, I would like to embark on building an under quilt using similar materials.

My question is: are there any tricks to getting the underquilt to be snug up against the bottom of the hammock? I see many designs use elastic draw cord on the head/foot end of the underquilt, and hang onto the ridge line from the ends, but I imagine that there is the potential for some sag to happen in the middle where ones bum/back would be and allowing a separation between the hammock and the insulation.

I'm the only hammock user in my party, and have never seen or examined an underquilt, so don't really have a good feel for how easy it is to get them snug.

Cheers,

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    The Leighlo type of suspension is quite popular and works very well at hugging the bottom of the hammock.
    http://www.hammockquilts.com/apps/vi...uspension-tips
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eatSleepFish View Post
    Hello,

After successfully completing a baffled top quilt this winter using M50 and 900fp down from thru-hiker, I would like to embark on building an under quilt using similar materials.

My question is: are there any tricks to getting the underquilt to be snug up against the bottom of the hammock? I see many designs use elastic draw cord on the head/foot end of the underquilt, and hang onto the ridge line from the ends, but I imagine that there is the potential for some sag to happen in the middle where ones bum/back would be and allowing a separation between the hammock and the insulation.

I'm the only hammock user in my party, and have never seen or examined an underquilt, so don't really have a good feel for how easy it is to get them snug.

Cheers,
    I have learned thru my mistakes (I did it wrong the first time and I'm now in the planning* phase for my next one) that it takes shaping the body of the quilt via darts in the inner and outer shells and also making sure there is a differential between the inner and outer shells. / \

*planning phase b/c I don't have the money to move into the design phase
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    it takes shaping the body of the quilt via darts in the inner and outer shells and also making sure there is a differential between the inner and outer shells. / \
    This.

I also took the extra step of cutting curved baffles. I don't know if it made a difference, but it sure was fun sewing in curved baffles on differential cut shells.

jason

Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    This.

I also took the extra step of cutting curved baffles. I don't know if it made a difference, but it sure was fun sewing in curved baffles on differential cut shells.

jason
    Thanks for the heads up. I googled for differential and darts and got a few DIY/MYOG threads, that was just the info I was after, cheers!

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    This.

jason
    I saw that thread here --> http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59179

Great job!!! and all i can say is... DUDE you got mad skillz!!!
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    The Leighlo type of suspension is quite popular and works very well at hugging the bottom of the hammock.
    http://www.hammockquilts.com/apps/vi...uspension-tips
    Has anyone posted any DIY instructions for this suspension system?
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by eatSleepFish View Post
    Hello,

Cheers,
    Eatsleep, do you have a picture of your TQ? Id like to see how it ended up in m50. Thanks!

• + New Posts