Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    You are a great help to me. I am looking forward to getting my Claytor tomorrow and hanging out in it for awhile. I am thinking as you are too about the webbing. All those governments that use it for their military gear cannot be wrong....it will hold up. Steve
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

I got two jungle hammocks in late summer. I have been using one with the stock straps and one with florescent orange ratchet straps. Both with the recommended knots and the stock tarps.

I am thinking of trying out the cinch buckles, but I don't know that I camp enough to make it worth it.

I do know that they have been the talk of all of the boy scout camp-outs that I have taken them on. :-)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by division6 View Post
    I am thinking of trying out the cinch buckles, but I don't know that I camp enough to make it worth it.
    $2/each. That's not an expensive endeavour to test...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by division6 View Post
    I got two jungle hammocks in late summer. I have been using one with the stock straps and one with florescent orange ratchet straps. Both with the recommended knots and the stock tarps.

I do know that they have been the talk of all of the boy scout camp-outs that I have taken them on. :-)
    DIVISION6, I JUST RECIEVED MY JUNGLE HAMMOCK THIS MORNING!. I too have a set of cinch buckles that Grizzly Adams laid on me. Thanks griz. I laid around in the hammock for awhile then put on the under quilt, took off my coat and shoes and put my cell phone and garage door opener in the pocket and got in. I opened the garage door to the 35 degree day and promptly FELL ASLEEP FOR 45 MINUTES awakened only by the sound of the mailman walking up the sidewalk. I really like this hammock, and I know what you mean about putting on the buckles. I also have three more sets of buckles coming in the mail soon so I can convert all my hammocks over, BUT, I too am not sure I want to change the Jungle hammock's 3/4 inch soft straps until I tie it up a few times and see if I really need them. After all, it takes only a minute or two to untie them and retie them. I made some spreader bars 16.5 inches long for the but net, but I would rather throw it behind me and sleep without it when I can.
    The configuration of the straps is puzzling. First of all I am not sure I am using them right. They seem to me to be tool long to use with tree huggers or slap straps, but not long enough to trust you would always find the trees just perfectly set apart to use only them. I guess I am going to take all my extra straps for awhile until I get the hang of it, pun intended this time.
    Do you have any tips about hanging it? I don't think it will need a ridgeline. It is longer and seems to be less sensitive to having to hang it in a certain way. I really like the length. I can raise my arms as high as I can and still not touch the end of the hammock from inside.
    I have been kicking around buying or making a bridge hammock. I even had a weird idea of making an elaborate one, but I felt so good in this hammock, I may just decide to be CONTENT.
    I have three larger sized tarps I could use with it including a new Winter tarp from Speer, but the stock tarp, though heavy, has a 13 foot ridgeline. My other tarps only get to 10 or 11 feet, so I am not sure I even need anything but the stock tarp. What are your insights on the stock tarp? If I go with another tarp it would be harder to stealth camp than using the stock, which was one of the drawing points for me to buy the Jungle Hammock.
    I could go on and on about this, I am really happy with it the way it is.
    What are your thoughts on the stock hanging staps as opposed to the other ones you are using?
    Thanks for your insights, Steve

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    After hanging my Jungle a few times I've decided I definitely don't like the stock straps. There's a really good reason polypro is preferred over nylon. Seems to take my knots forever to tighten up and I've had to slid the straps up my stand's uprights after all the stretching was done, something you couldn't do on a tree.

Also, I think the 1/2" straps would be more likely to damage a tree's bark than the 1" or, better, 1.5" polypro straps. That's a big factor for me.

You do get a ton of overhead room using spreader bars for the net. I liked Neo's tip of using a couple camo arrow shafts cut down to size. I am, however, toying with a non-structural ridgeline idea so as to give me a place to hang my glasses, headlamp, and what not. Then again, a gear hammock might do the trick for that. I just haven't made one yet.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Manach View Post
    After hanging my Jungle a few times I've decided I definitely don't like the stock straps. There's a really good reason polypro is preferred over nylon. Seems to take my knots forever to tighten up and I've had to slid the straps up my stand's uprights after all the stretching was done, something you couldn't do on a tree.

Also, I think the 1/2" straps would be more likely to damage a tree's bark than the 1" or, better, 1.5" polypro straps. That's a big factor for me.

You do get a ton of overhead room using spreader bars for the net. I liked Neo's tip of using a couple camo arrow shafts cut down to size. I am, however, toying with a non-structural ridgeline idea so as to give me a place to hang my glasses, headlamp, and what not. Then again, a gear hammock might do the trick for that. I just haven't made one yet.
    What strap configuration do you now use? I was thinking of as shorter 1" polypro stap in place of the 3/4 stuff and using a biner to go to a slapstrap and or tree huggers. Do you use cinch buckles?
    I would like to meet all you who have these hammocks at a campout real soon. Mule

Everyone that has a jungle hammock (and lives in the US). How long did it take for the hammock to ship to you?

My friend has one coming and he's been waiting 3 weeks. I'm just curious to know, because he doesn't have any other hammock so he needs this one to actually join me on camping trips.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    What strap configuration do you now use? I was thinking of as shorter 1" polypro stap in place of the 3/4 stuff and using a biner to go to a slapstrap and or tree huggers. Do you use cinch buckles?
    I would like to meet all you who have these hammocks at a campout real soon. Mule
    This works well for me and is a very fast set up. The straps are 1 in. poly from Ed Speer with a loop sewn in one end. A light weight carabiner is attached to the loop. The rest is set up in photo. These are great hammocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Quote Originally Posted by aceatc View Post
    Everyone that has a jungle hammock (and lives in the US). How long did it take for the hammock to ship to you?

My friend has one coming and he's been waiting 3 weeks. I'm just curious to know, because he doesn't have any other hammock so he needs this one to actually join me on camping trips.
    I snail-mailed a check and a letter requesting what I wanted because I didn't have access to a secure computer at the time. The hammock arrived about two weeks after I mailed my check. I mailed the check from, and got the hammock shipped to, Pittsburgh, PA. (Go Steelers!)

BTW, is this one of those "I have a friend" problems where the friend turns out to be you?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    I'm stil playing with hanging this thing various ways, but that's only until I get in my order to Speers for the polypro webbing. I'm going to use the ring buckle system, with a rope from the hammock tied to descending rings, a strap with a loop in one end with a biner on that, and the strap running to the rings to make a buckle. I thought I found that on Jeff's page but I couldn't find it in a quick perusal.

It took 14 days for me to receive my Jungle from the date on my PayPal payment. I emailed Tom a couple times and received prompt responses each time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast