Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well, I'm sold on the NX-250 now. I've put in the order, and it shipped today so hopefully I should have it in a few days.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    COOL

Good choice

you will love it . . .
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    OK, I'm going to throw in a big "disadvantage"! If you buy the Clark as your first hammock, you will enjoy it so much you will not have an excuse to get another kind.

I like to have many different options in stoves, water treatments, packs, guns, virtually anything I get in to. My Clark NX-250 took that urge away from me.

I really have tried other brands, and am always looking, but so far none has tempted me. It seems like every time I crawl in to my Clark, I like it even better. You're gonna love this one!!
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    OK, I'm going to throw in a big "disadvantage"! If you buy the Clark as your first hammock, you will enjoy it so much you will not have an excuse to get another kind.

I like to have many different options in stoves, water treatments, packs, guns, virtually anything I get in to. My Clark NX-250 took that urge away from me.

I really have tried other brands, and am always looking, but so far none has tempted me. It seems like every time I crawl in to my Clark, I like it even better. You're gonna love this one!!
    I was about to mention this myself. You should love the choice you have made. Since you say you have no hammock experience, just a caution, don't panic when you have a hard time getting a good hang while using the included ropes. Simply change to a more manageable suspension, which probably most of us have, and all will be well.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I was about to mention this myself. You should love the choice you have made. Since you say you have no hammock experience, just a caution, don't panic when you have a hard time getting a good hang while using the included ropes. Simply change to a more manageable suspension, which probably most of us have, and all will be well.
    Pay attention to the drip ring attachment instructions, where you use the drip ring as a tension adjustment device. Helps a lot, was going to swap out for Whoopies but leaving the stock on primarily because this makes it so easy, and I have more options with the rope if something breaks. Also pay attention to the foot being a bit higher, as the Clark material is great for mosquito proof but it is a bit slippery so you'll be more comfortable with the feet a bit higher.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'm with Manchego on the rings-- if Clark still includes them -- with their and some other rope. For reduced bulk I changed, but the furnished combo works very well, and is simple as one of Warbonnet's and a couple of other major's systems.

A beef I have with it, though, is that you wouldn't use tree straps with the rope, by Clarks (former?) instructions. In that case, adjustment would have you chafing the tree. Big frown there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

A beef I have with it, though, is that you wouldn't use tree straps with the rope, by Clarks (former?) instructions. In that case, adjustment would have you chafing the tree. Big frown there.
    That is true, if you wrap with the rope, but to me that's an "emergency" solution because something broke or I was boneheaded enough to walk off without a strap. I'd bowline one side around a tree and use the adjust on the other if possible, though.

But there is a good point here, one that I feel needs to be made with the rope/tree strap combo. Many times, sometimes it seems most times, the strap around the tree has either "just" too much or too little play, and there's not quite enough length to the strap to take up the slack by wrapping the tree again. In a fix, I will admit that I have done a simple knot in the tree strap, basically pulling a loop through, but it's a royal PITA to get back out without damaging the strap (I use the Clark straps, they are light and strong as hell and don't stretch).

The rope does allow for that "almost" wrap to have, for example on my last hang, about 6" between the loops, which is easily spanned with the rope. The rope then spanned the additional distance, allowed me to snug fine, and rested on the first wrap so it didn't damage the bark. I find this far superior to a lot of systems where if you can't make that second wrap, you're out of luck. Or, if you use, say, a 'biner, it just slides till the second wrap is out. This is another reason I've decided to stay with the stock, the trees I find just aren't quite right far too often.
    Last edited by Manchego; 07-11-2012 at 10:41. Reason: typo correction

Quote Originally Posted by debolaz View Post
    Howdy. I'm relatively new to the whole hammock thing, but I've decided to get myself a Clark Jungle Hammock and I'm pretty sure it's going to be either the NX-150 or the NX-250. Looking through these forums, I've noticed a trend where everyone seems to favor the NX-250. Still, I figured I might just ask a few questions before ordering this beauty.

Aside from being a little bit more expensive, are there any disadvantages with the NX-250 over the NX-150 at all? For instance, does the larger size make it more difficult to keep stuff inside it in place while sleeping, or does the length affect ones ability to find places to put it, etc? (might sound like inYes, I realize this credibly dumb questions for some of the more experienced here, but I *really* don't have hammocking experience to speak of)

I'm 6 foot tall, and weigh in at roughly 240 lbs.
    My comment was directed at the OP's comment of having no hammock experience. Today I could fairly easily use even the cumbersome Clark rope to get a fair hang, but not when I first tried it. Clark's suspension lends itself more to experienced hangers than to those totally unfamilar to hammocking. In my opinion, their supplied suspension is not a noob's friend, not even with the drip rings.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    My comment was directed at the OP's comment of having no hammock experience. Today I could fairly easily use even the cumbersome Clark rope to get a fair hang, but not when I first tried it. Clark's suspension lends itself more to experienced hangers than to those totally unfamilar to hammocking. In my opinion, their supplied suspension is not a noob's friend, not even with the drip rings.
    That is truer with the older versions than the new, in my opin, but I understand entirely what you mean. With the newer suspension (I posted a copy of their directions and a pic or two on a thread here) with the bungees on both ropes acting like a "tell", I feel it's much easier to know where the proper angle is, making the ropes friendlier. On the older NA that I have that the daughter has inherited, I do have whoopie slings to make it all easier. Then again, as you say, it may be my familiarity which is the greater benefit.

As for the drip ring tensioner, yes, it might take a noob a bit to figure out how to move the ring up then lash off to get maximum adjustability, but that's part of the fun of it. There is a vid on their site and a picture to help.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    i can't agree more the 200 is my favorite in my opinion if i want allot of room i set the Clark Vertex up with or with out girlfriend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast